Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by rudiMENTAL View Post
Would this show up in PRIA or somewhere else? From what I thought, most companies will only give out the dates of employment and position held when contacted, at least in a non-aviation setting. I'm a bit unclear on this and curious even though it may not affect me.
Originally Posted by Bozo the pilot View Post
Pria is all about training events- this has only to do with the inability to return to Cape air in the future. When you leave, you fall under 2 catagories- Avail for rehire or unavail for rehire- or something to that effect. While I wouldnt burn a bridge, some opportunities cannot be overlooked.
American Eagle clearly asks this question on the previous employment verification form, which is sent to all aviation employers for the last 5 years "Would you re-employ this person?"

And for any reason if this is answered as NO, then that person can't be hired at Eagle, I know that for sure. I can imagine SKW & XJT would the be same way too.

So anyways, I sent a lot of messages & emails to people & did manage to talk to a few people from other forums as well. They were all of the same view, that if one's intention is just to get to 1500 & leave, it is not a good idea to go to Cape. Even though some people do it, they usually regret doing so later in life.

And since my immediate goal is to reach 1500 & go to a regional and I don't want to have a questionable prior employment history, I have given up the idea of going to pursuing Cape Air as an option.

Best of luck to all other aspiring people....

Now I just have to figure out how to get the remaining 400 hrs.....
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2012

Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Okay! Tha ks for the insight Do you work there?
Yes, I do.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by Dokk View Post
Yes, I do.
Awesome! I'm hoping to apply around the end of summer for an FO position. Do you have any recommendations on the interview or things to brush up on for class (if I were to get hired)?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Awesome! I'm hoping to apply around the end of summer for an FO position. Do you have any recommendations on the interview or things to brush up on for class (if I were to get hired)?
What's your background first? Where are you working as an instructor? Where did you go to school? That stuff can make the difference between if you want to come here or not. Especially if you're thinking of getting your ATP and leaving. Did you go to an AABI school?

Also, their next hiring class for FO's is going to be the Fall, so you might want to put the application in now rather than later to get the ball rolling.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by bcpilot View Post
So anyways, I sent a lot of messages & emails to people & did manage to talk to a few people from other forums as well. They were all of the same view, that if one's intention is just to get to 1500 & leave, it is not a good idea to go to Cape. Even though some people do it, they usually regret doing so later in life.

And since my immediate goal is to reach 1500 & go to a regional and I don't want to have a questionable prior employment history, I have given up the idea of going to pursuing Cape Air as an option.
If you went to an AABI school it could be in your best interest to actually go to Cape Air and stick around a while. And you could still get your regional airline fix in as well, without a black mark on your record.

But you're right, burning your bridges at Cape Air is probably not a good idea. Going there and leaving right after you get your ATP will not bode well with future employers.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: B737 /FO

Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
What is your end goal? If it is to fly for a legacy airline then you should skip cape air......
I doubt that's accurate.

Best way to land a good job is to be the best pilot you can be, network, and be generally positive person. Cape Air provides as good an opportunity to develop all of that.

Polish yourself

Last edited by SebastianDesoto; 06-22-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: B787. Left seat.

Does Cape have any or many long term pilots? I flew for a similar operation in a past life and we had a mix of seniors, who were there to stay and young pilots building hours.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by EYBusdriver View Post
Does Cape have any or many long term pilots? I flew for a similar operation in a past life and we had a mix of seniors, who were there to stay and young pilots building hours.
Pretty much. #1 on the seniority list is 1989. Those that stay I think are usually from the area, and enjoy the schedules they can hold. There's something to be said about being home every night in this profession.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by Dokk View Post
What's your background first? Where are you working as an instructor? Where did you go to school? That stuff can make the difference between if you want to come here or not. Especially if you're thinking of getting your ATP and leaving. Did you go to an AABI school?
Sent you a PM. Also, I wouldn't break the contract, and it's actually not the ATP that I'm that interested in--it's the multi-PIC and the environment of the company. Also, I think PR would be an awesome place to live
Old 06-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by Bozo the pilot View Post
True^^^ Dont burn this bridge- Just ask the guys who came back in '08 & '09 after the furloughs. Its a great place to stay current and make 40k to put a bandaid on yur finances. Its also a career place for many. Its a high workload but I've never regretted startin there. All training events since Cape ATP training have been easy in comparison. Good luck guys.
Unless the job you are being offered is absolutely amazing, don't ever burn this bridge! One thing to keep in mind, if you leave under good terms, you are eligible for rehire and although you'll start at the bottom of the seniority list again, your pay rate will start where you left off before!