Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC- Travel Management Company

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: 135Cancer

Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
No logical reason? How about the good old consultant word "synergy"? What if you strip out redundant costs and systems to help pay back some of the acquisition debt? Why would you want 2 marketing departments? Why not offer customers a "full range of aircraft types" so that customers seeking a lower price point don't shop elsewhere? Or offer a "one-stop shop"? I have heard it all before. Just give the consultants time....
As I said, not right now. Let's see what happens if the sale ever goes through. I've heard it, too. My favorite one is the "turn-key solution" or "end-to-end". Unfortunately, my experience says it's time to move on. My previous company was bought out, hastily liquidated, then the HQ was moved to another state and they only things the new owners took with them were the Air Carrier Certificate and the company name. I don't think TPG has this in mind, but looking at their track record, TMC is no Continental and TMC doesn't have any aircraft I would consider valuable or desirable. In that regard, TMC is no XOJet. Customers want bigger planes and TMC doesn't have them. Should TPG bring a bag of cash, I could see a deal where management shakes up and new planes come to the line, but that's all in the Magic 8 Ball.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015
Default TMC jets interview gouge

Hi everyone.
One of my friends will be interviewing soon and has no idea what could be asked on the written test and/or sim eval. I did a search but couldn't find anything specific. Any intel would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Old 05-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Intel:
I would say if your friend actually shows up, it's a done deal
Old 05-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Does TMC offer 8/6 like Gama/Wheels Up and Delta Private Jets? I thought they only offered 15/13 which is not conducive to any family life. Probably would help with recruiting/retaining pilots I would think...........
Old 05-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

What's the proportion of PL21 equipped to vintage Honeywell equipped on the Hawker 800 fleet? Do Hawker pilots fly both?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 AM
Line Holder

Does TMC offer 8/6 like Gama/Wheels Up and Delta Private Jets? I thought they only offered 15/13 which is not conducive to any family life. Probably would help with recruiting/retaining pilots I would think...........
Yes. 8/6 is available to the top ~50% seniority in each fleet. Last batch of new hires have waited approximately 6 months to be eligible for 8/6. Bidding occurs annually. JMHO: 8/6 as it is run now will not help with retention either. Vacation might, but that's not on the table yet. Ask the union when that will come up. Taking a wild stab, I'd say attrition is still in the vague region of 10% (or more) annually. The most senior guys are leaving at a much slower rate, however. Junior guys tend to leave after a couple years when they find out they're not going to upgrade.

Schedules are:
8/6 - as explained above
15/13 - for those that want half the number of "Angry Tuesdays" or can't hold 8/6.
Reserve - Captains only. Max is 15/10 with an option to take 7 hard days each quarter (unpaid, and must be consecutive [i.e. no 4 days here, 3 days there. must all be taken at once or not at all]), the company breaks it down further (e.g. x days on = y days off where x<15 and y<10). When I was on it, my schedule was never consistent. I would often be home 15-25 days not getting paid and would call and beg to work. My understanding is that things are different now that it's for Captains only.

What's the proportion of PL21 equipped to vintage Honeywell equipped on the Hawker 800 fleet? Do Hawker pilots fly both?
Info. is likely out of date: For each Pro Line Hawker, there are two Honeywell Hawkers. At least two of the Honeywells are on the market for sale (one currently pending). Yes, pilots fly both. Initial/recurrent is done in the PL21. A 4-hour (?) (can't remember exactly) course is done on differences. Then you get on the line and fly a lot of Honeywell equipment and learn OTJ. It's possible to not see a PL21 machine for several months at a stretch.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Hey Guys,

So I just have a few questions. First, how many pilots is TMC hiring? How hard is it to get hired at the bare minimum (1,000 TT, 500 PIC) all of it only being a CFI? How hard is it to get hired with no bachelors degree, just high school?

Thank you in advance for helping me!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:05 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by airlinepilotguy View Post
Hey Guys,

So I just have a few questions. First, how many pilots is TMC hiring? How hard is it to get hired at the bare minimum (1,000 TT, 500 PIC) all of it only being a CFI? How hard is it to get hired with no bachelors degree, just high school?

Thank you in advance for helping me!
Just speculating: If there's hiring it will probably be through attrition right now.

About a dozen planes are (expected) to be parked for the summer. Don't know if it has happened yet.
Not sure what that means as they'll be overstaffed (properly staffed?!) until those planes come back online.

Attrition is still fairly high. If you want to get in. Keep trying.
Please read that last sentence over and choose wisely. With your time you could expect to be SIC-assigned for about six years (minimum).

If I were you, and it could somehow fit your lifestyle, I'd be beating down the the doors to every regional instead. You'll upgrade far, far faster.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

+1 on that advice. There is zero reason to go to TMC right now. You will make more, and experience a much better QOL at a regional.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Not a word since 8/1... Doesn't look like too many people are beating down the door at EKM to make way below industry standard. Imagine that