Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Airnet!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Let me see if I get this, so if you get hired, you have to sit right seat till you have 1200 hours. Then you will go to left seat, and get a new guy for the right seat??? Also, with the bases, how hard is it to get Milwakee??
Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by Oblique View Post
I have been at Airnet the past week for NIFA and from what I understand you can basically show up with commercial, instrument, and multi to get hired. They hired a pilot with only 7 multi hours! It could be a bunch of BS because Airnet is in need of pilots. Unfortunately most of the students here are naive college students.

If you don't mind breaking FAR's then Airnet is for you. One pilot said he has only done 5 missed approaches in the past 6 years working at Airnet. They get mad at their pilots when they have to go around.

Another thing bad about Airnet... Two pilots lost their job because they were trying to do a barrel roll in the Lear 60 yesterday. They went from 40,000 to 4,000 and stressed the wings and elevators enough you can see lumps. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. Sounds like they hire safe pilots to me.

First of all you need to get your facts straight before you write about things. What FAR's are you talking about that get broken?? There are never any problems if you have to go around.
As for your last comment two pilots did get fired for rolling a LEAR 35 about 3 months ago or more. The altitudes you wrote are very inaccurate. Just because 2 pilots decided to do a stupid thing, that doesn't mean that Airnet is not a safe place to fly or be at.
Please stop and think before you make posts that you have no idea what your talking about.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: 91K

I was at Airnet for three years. I never intentionally, broke a FAR. I've gone around lots, never for weather (with 135 rules, the weather at the end of the approach normally isn't a factor), and was never questioned.

It was a great place, great guys, and a great experience. I would recomend(sp?) the job to anyone, and kudos to Airnet for letting super low time pilots gain awesome experience on the companies dime.

I find that a lot of people who talk bad about a company, often are miss-informed, so, no worries.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Lear 35

I have been at Airnet the past week for NIFA and from what I understand you can basically show up with commercial, instrument, and multi to get hired. They hired a pilot with only 7 multi hours! It could be a bunch of BS because Airnet is in need of pilots. Unfortunately most of the students here are naive college students.

If you don't mind breaking FAR's then Airnet is for you. One pilot said he has only done 5 missed approaches in the past 6 years working at Airnet. They get mad at their pilots when they have to go around.

Another thing bad about Airnet... Two pilots lost their job because they were trying to do a barrel roll in the Lear 60 yesterday. They went from 40,000 to 4,000 and stressed the wings and elevators enough you can see lumps. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. Sounds like they hire safe pilots to me.
Oblique -

Wow. Quite an indictment of AirNet from someone who has spent but a week in the company of those that helped host your event. Your bitter tone might lead one to believe that you applied to AirNet but did not get the call.

While what you state is essentially correct, that one only need acquire commercial/instrument/multi to be considered for employment at AirNet, you may be missing the point. FAR's state that in order for a pilot to act as PIC in IFR conditions under part 135 they must meet certain minimum requirements. If you review FAR 135.243c you will see that you must have 1200 total time, 500 cross country, 100 night and 75 actual or simulated instrument (of which 50 must be in flight) in order to qualify. AirNet will consider you for employment with less, but you will not be qualified to act as a PIC under part 135 operations. What you will be able to do is build PIC time as the pilot flying and acting as the sole manipulator of the controls in the presence of the PIC assigned for that flight. You will have the opportunity to build time in this manner until you meet 135.243c qualifications. At this point you will be able to bid for your own run.

As for your "breaking FAR's" comment... you cast a pretty wide net. In my two years on the line I can tell you exactly how many times I've gone missed. ZERO. While luck does play a very small part in that (no vehicles or aircraft on the runway, no microbursts on final or rapidly declining weather inside the final approach fix, etc.), it is due to the fact that we FOLLOW the FAR's that we so rarely go missed. If you will review 135.225a2 you will see that we are not authorized to begin any approach procedure unless "... the latest weather report issued by that weather reporting facility indicates that weather conditions are at or above the authorized IFR landing minimums for that airport." If we don't have the weather minimums then we don't shoot the approach. Period. If you don't shoot an approach that has weather below landing minimums then your likelihood of going missed is pretty small. As I said... I have gone missed zero times. I certainly have diverted due to unforcast weather, but I didn't shoot an approach that didn't meet FAR requirements. I've even held at the outer marker waiting for the weather to improve above minimums... and when it didn't I went somewhere else. That's what the FAR's say, and that's what we do. The comany doesn't get mad at me for following the rules. They acknowledge that I am the PIC responsible for the safe operation of that aircraft and that I am the final say as to when I do or do not go.

Finally... the Lear Jet. Get your facts straight.
1. Lear 35, not a Lear 60
2. January 10th, 2007, not yesterday
3. Started between FL210 and FL200, NTSB report didn't state recovery altitude

A very, very unfortunate incident precipitated by some etremely poor decision making and CRM. Both of these pilots are fortunate that all they lost were their jobs and their licenses. The airplane was totaled. Very expensive lesson learned.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Everyone else slammed Oblique, and damnit I wanted to also!!!!!!!! But I'll just enjoy all the wonderful replies. Oblique's one of those people that really doesn't research, but more just a repeater that's got a lot of static and broken messages. Thanks!

Did you hear that Airnet lost two pilots who rolled their MU-2? I think that's what it was, or maybe it was a TBM or PC-12 Have a good day!

I got some good stuff for you all btw

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/sh...097#post159097
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/sh...667#post151667 <----He can't handle the stress, so passes it on

There's some others, but those are prime time. This guy's low-time and really doesn't know what he's talking about, but we already knew that.

So Oblique, just directly to you. Please if you have an opinion, check it out before you go spouting. Keep the facts to what they are, not opinions. Here's food for though, how many airline flights "Go Missed?" Think about it
Old 05-11-2007, 04:47 PM
just enjoying the view.

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Boeing 717 FO
Default requirements?

Yeah I've applied with airnet, but with my low experience (215/50) I am wondering if I am going to get a call or if I should do and spend 4 grand and get my CFI and start doing that? I heard the mins are down around 400/100 or something like that. I really like everything I have heard about the company, the type of flying, the schedule, etc, just was interested if anyone had the most up to date info. (I am also trying for the new internship that is coming up, but Airnet personnel could give me no further information for 2 weeks, didn't know if anyone knew anything about that either )
Old 05-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: FO

fr8avr_66 and others. Thank you for explaining the Airnet situation in more detail. I am sorry if I came off as rude and ignorant, it is not what I intended. I only went on what I had heard by word of mouth from other aviation students.

I will definitely do more research before voicing my opinion next time.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: LJ35 PIC

fr8avr_66 and others. Thank you for explaining the Airnet situation in more detail. I am sorry if I came off as rude and ignorant, it is not what I intended. I only went on what I had heard by word of mouth from other aviation students.

I've worked at AirNet for a while now and what you said about us is wrong and ignorant.

But at least you have to good sense to apologize when you realize you are way off.

I’m sure if you have any serious questions or comments most of us starcheckers are more than happy to answer those.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

I only went on what I had heard by word of mouth from other aviation students.

Probably one of the most dangerous sources for info. I remember those days. Everyone knows everything even though you know nothing in a greater sense. The one's who's "Daddy is a Capt @ _______ Airline" are the worse.

Been there and done that, thanks for realizing and fly safe!
Old 05-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: LJ35 PIC

Originally Posted by j3gibbon View Post
Yeah I've applied with airnet, but with my low experience (215/50) I am wondering if I am going to get a call or if I should do and spend 4 grand and get my CFI and start doing that? I heard the mins are down around 400/100 or something like that. I really like everything I have heard about the company, the type of flying, the schedule, etc, just was interested if anyone had the most up to date info. (I am also trying for the new internship that is coming up, but Airnet personnel could give me no further information for 2 weeks, didn't know if anyone knew anything about that either )

While I enjoy working for AirNet I would recommend you not put all your eggs in one basket. Interviewing is tricky. It's the one of the events in our industry that I don’t think I’ll ever full understand.

To answer your question about getting a call with the hours you have, I would have to say no. But you never know. AirNet is having a problem with retention these days and it’s a concern even at management level. What I’m hearing right now is 800 to 1000 total time with a commercial instrument license. This is to enter the SIC program. I have no info about the internship program. I do know they like people who are persistent.

The reality is that our recruitment department would like all our applicants to have the 135 PIC minimums and simple supply and demand will dictate the rest. This is the reason the program was initiated and created with the FAA’s approval. It’ hard to compete with all the regionals when they hire as low as they do these day. I’m not making a judgment on this simple fact, just stating it.

GL,

Jester: You sit in the right seat for one purpose; to build total time. When you hit the magic marker you go to LCK and take your 135 PIC check ride. You get a run and a base or become a reserve (8 on 6 off). You should expect not to get what you want for a base. The process is just to random to try to predict, as is most things in this industry.