Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

New Gama/WHEELS UP King Air Bases

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: 747 FO

Originally Posted by bigboeings View Post
Why does how much training cost have any bearing on working at a company?
Not sure that it does; the issue centered around trying to disprove Galaxy's assertion that recurrent is 10k a pilot.

.....which is sorta funny; because I'm pretty sure I know who Galaxy is; he'd be intimately familiar with those exact costs.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Could someone who recently left or is planning to leave Wheels Up for NetJets give the main reason as to why? Looking at the two companies, they both offer full health care, good perdiem and seem to look after their employees relatively well. Wheels Up / Gama has a much quicker upgrade meaning more earning potential over a 5 year period, but the schedule seems to be a sore subject. Is this the only reason or is there more to the story?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

I'd say the schedule is 90% of the problem. There are some other issues - but these are similar to other places I would guess (crew meals when they are needed, paperwork, communication issues, etc.). The opening of some additional bases made some people happier. There are others that still have to drive hours to get to TEB. The schedule is the main problem IMO. I know I'm burnt out.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:27 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2015

I agree with Starbucks. The schedule was definitely the main reason I left for the airlines. It's a 6/3 schedule, which may or may not sound bad to you.
But, you will get burned out fast. Unless you are a workaholic and don't enjoy spending time with family or friends. When I left, there was a mass exodus of people heading out. I didn't go the netjets route, but they definitely would be my choice between the two. Netjets has been around for 50 years (stability), they have options on schedules, they have a pay scale (something to work towards), and there are many choices of aircraft to fly. Not to mention the home basing advantage with netjets. Wheels up only has a few choices for bases. There is also only a 5 year contract between wheels up and gama. You work for gama, not wheels up. They are currently in year two of that contract. Chances are you may be looking for another job in a few years. I keep in touch with a few pilots who still are at wheels up/Gama. There are not a lot of happy people there. Pretty much everyone has their resumes out. Your choice "das auto", but I would definitely go with netjets.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: ????

I left for NetJets and have no regrets. The 6/3 schedule is terrible, but I knew that going into it. I was burnt out after 4 months but stayed my year. Pay and benefits are great but IMO doesn't make up for the scedule. Also something to keep In mind upgrades are done on what they consider merit, in many people's opinion it wasn't merit at all. I would definitely try to get on with NetJets first.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Originally Posted by galaxy51 View Post
FSI 350 ProLine 21 sim wet rate
Wet rate? What's it cost without the fuel? And er what's the fuel used for?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

interesting points. Thanks guys.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: First Officer

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
Could someone who recently left or is planning to leave Wheels Up for NetJets give the main reason as to why? Looking at the two companies, they both offer full health care, good perdiem and seem to look after their employees relatively well. Wheels Up / Gama has a much quicker upgrade meaning more earning potential over a 5 year period, but the schedule seems to be a sore subject. Is this the only reason or is there more to the story?

For me, it was the basing system. I commuted a long way for a year. The money and time that I spent commuting was ridiculous. The schedule was a close second. Third is the benefits. While Gama has great health insurance, NJ has better. All of the other benefits at NJ blow Gama away. Gama is not a bad job, and I was grateful to be employed for a year, but it is not a long term career option at this point.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Just to clarify, the 6 days on, 3 off equates to 5 nights on the road followed by 4 nights at home correct?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: First Officer

Originally Posted by Das Auto View Post
Just to clarify, the 6 days on, 3 off equates to 5 nights on the road followed by 4 nights at home correct?

Thanks.

Basically, yes. Technically your rotation starts at 3:00 am on day 1 and ends at 3:00 am on day 7. However, most of the time they get you home sometime in the evening on day 6. They just don't pay overtime until 3:00 am if they can't get you home by then.