Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

New Gama/WHEELS UP King Air Bases

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Exactly, right on the money. Thank you. And at the exact time the union is voted in and everyone stands around and beats their chests, Gama loses the contract and all bets are off. I think it could be a really good place to work. A better schedule, yes. But, at least there IS A schedule there. Not flying junk either.

Maybe their pilots could learn not to blast every single person on the ramp.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Originally Posted by MR JT8D View Post
Exactly, right on the money. Thank you. And at the exact time the union is voted in and everyone stands around and beats their chests, Gama loses the contract and all bets are off. I think it could be a really good place to work. A better schedule, yes. But, at least there IS A schedule there. Not flying junk either.
There are a LOT worse schedules out there, especially considering the home basing aspect of this outfit.

Maybe their pilots could learn not to blast every single person on the ramp.
What does this mean?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Thumbs down Wheels Up is NOT home based

[QUOTE=Packrat;1860523]There are a LOT worse schedules out there, especially considering the home basing aspect of this outfit.

Heads up, Packrat.....

Wheels Up is NOT home based.... Now if YOU happen to live in one of their bases, then well... Maybe YOU could consider it home basing. My friends, that fly for GAMA/Wheels Up, who drive several hours (5 and 7 hours respectively) and right by several Airports served by Southwest to get to KTEB would strongly disagree with your home basing assertion. You are only home based with WU if you live in TEB, PBI, HOU, VNY, DAL, soon to be MDW, ect.

And yes, there ARE worse schedules, but not many in the Fractional world. I'd say that Wheels Up is in a neck and neck fight for last place, worst schedule in the Fractional world with Executive Air Shares. If you can name worse schedules in the Fractional world, I'd love to hear them
Old 04-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
Wheels Up is NOT home based.... Now if YOU happen to live in one of their bases, then well... Maybe YOU could consider it home basing....You are only home based with WU if you live in TEB, PBI, HOU, VNY, DAL, soon to be MDW, ect.
If you live in LAS, that would be home basing as well, no?

And yes, there ARE worse schedules, but not many in the Fractional world.
Well, there certainly are in the 121 Supplemental/135 world.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:25 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Packrat-

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but you need to listen to B727DRVR!!!!
There is absolutely NOOO home basing!!!!
Whoever told you that lied to you. There are designated bases that can be confirmed by going to gamacharters.com
and clicking on the careers tab at the top. Under the 300 jobs opening page it lists the current bases. Again, there is NOOO home basing!!!
In regards to the schedule, again you should be listening to B727DRVR.
The schedule is rediculous!! That is the main reason I left and it is the main reason many others are leaving!!! Not sure who your source of info is, but you need to get a new source.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

There's always a bad side of almost every job in aviation. I've done ALL of them. From flying corpses, cancelled checks, flight instruction, airlines, part 135, ferrying aircraft, ect,

Airlines are the best jobs out there, then you go down the scale, drawbacks in every job, night flying , wait time, flying junk, duty times, rest times, ect. A notch down from an airline gig without commuting, and you have to pick your poison. How do you want to suffer??? I'd kick night flying off, then commuting, then.... well you don't want to know. So, you guys have to pick how you want to suffer aside from an airline gig. If you're doing a 7on and 7 off gig at a decent fractional company, and you're not commuting, I'd say it's a good job. Compensation is only part of the total package.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Lightbulb Just because YOU live in a base, doesn't make

[QUOTE=Packrat;1860673]If you live in LAS, that would be home basing as well, no?

Actually no, Pack,

It still wouldn't be a home-basing for all Gama/Wheels Up pilots, just the ones that live in LAS or wherever the Gama/Wheels Up bases are... Just because you live where an airline is based, that doesn't mean that the airline has home basing: It simply means that you are fortunate to live where the airline is based. I.E., you fly for Virgin America and you live in SFO. That is great for you, living where the company is based, but your fellow Virgin pilots who have to deadhead or jumpseat to SFO on their day off would disagree with your assertion that Virgin (or Gama/Wheels UP) has home basing. That is a far cry from being able to live anywhere that there is airline service, or at least a list of 100 bases, and then the airline buys you a ticket to and from your home airport. THAT is home basing and it is awesome.

And yes, there are far worse schedules out there in the 91/121/135 world and I have suffered them in at least the 91 and 135 worlds. South Florida and Ypsilanti are famous places in aviation known for substandard pay and schedules. For me, the 121 lifestyle was awesome and the Fractional 91K/135 lifestyle (with true home basing and 7/7 and 8/6 schedules being very common) was great as well. My point is that Wheels Up shares last place with Executive Air Share as the worst schedule in the overall Fractional Industry when compared to their peers (Netjets, Flexjet, Flight Options, XOJET, Red Stripe, ect.). Otherwise, I feel that Gama/Wheels up is a good place to work as far as pay, benefits, equipment, variety of flying, etc. I also am pretty sure that they cannot sustain their schedule-based attrition much longer, and they will attempt to retain pilots through offering a better schedule (like Executive Air Shares has been forced to do with their new 10/5 after 18 months schedule, after such schedule-based attrition there). Things will get better there, and elsewhere, in aviation IMHO.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deserteagle73 View Post
There is absolutely NOOO home basing!!!!
Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post
It still wouldn't be a home-basing for all Gama/Wheels Up pilots, just the ones that live in LAS or wherever the Gama/Wheels Up bases are...
You guys aren't getting what I'm saying...I live in LAS, therefore for me, it would be home basing.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Sorry Pack,

I getcha' now.. Yep, that would be a good deal for you and you'd probably see LAS more than just on the 3 days off as fractionals are always flying back and forth on the KLAS/KVNY shuttle. I'd be just like living in PBI, TEB, or MDW... you know that you'll be passing back through at least once during your tour.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Just to bump this thread based on its name, someone posted on another Wheels Up thread that the company has announced multiple new bases out West, namely PHX, DEN & SAN. Can someone in the know please verify this?

Thanks.