Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
Are 135 Operators lacking pilot applicants? >

Are 135 Operators lacking pilot applicants?

Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Are 135 Operators lacking pilot applicants?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Right on

Originally Posted by Lanesuzza View Post
PenAir in Alaska. I want to fly 135 for a few years then go to their 121 op in ANC. I do not have SJS. After researching that company and talking to numerous pilots both outside and inside the company, I found that Penair has a very good repulation for safety and employee satisfaction.
Back when I flew in Alaska a job at Penair was akin to a death sentence. I guess things have improved since then.

Best of Luck,

SkyHigh
Old 03-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Back when I flew in Alaska a job at Penair was akin to a death sentence. I guess things have improved since then.

Best of Luck,

SkyHigh
SkyHigh, you sound like one seriously disgruntled washed out wannabe in every post you make. Why is that? What was the incident that made you this way?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: UPS 757/767 Capt ONT

"Back when I flew in Alaska a job at Penair was akin to a death sentence"

My buddy who flew for Penair is an MD80 Capt at Alaska, now. No degree, even. You shoulda got a job there.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:57 PM
VW Bus Driver

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: ERJ145XR

I know a capt. for FedEx and he said FedEx likes the PenAir guys too.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: RC-3 Seabee. Skipper of the A21 cutter.

Originally Posted by KDUA View Post
I have to say I agree with you,,, Very good post.

Dont forgett the Very Light Jets that coming out very soon,,,, more pilots. The pilot shortage just started and it will get worst, if you dont belive me just look at the various orders from different carries around the world, India, China, Europe, and USA.

I have a feeling that we will see a shortage of CFI's very soon. No cfi's and no pilots and the demand keep growing.

I just saw an ad on climbto350 that a 135 operator that usually require 1200 tt for 135 (IFR) minimums, lowered their minimums to 500tt. Pilots will fly under 135 vfr minimums. CRAZY

I never forgett when I was a freshman for 4 years ago my instructor was struggling to get with the regionals told me that when I graduate the market will start picking up,,,,, He was right

Good Luck guys,

KDUA
My father was telling me about when UAL would hire guys, back in the 60's, with zero hours and pay for all of their training. This was because of, you guessed it, a pilot shortage. I think we are going to see the biggest pilot shortage in aviation history in the next few years. Hell, in SoCal we actually have a CFI shortage! All of them are either booked up or took off for the regionals, some to the Air Force to fly C17's. For those who are in my shoes, send in your application to the regionals if you have 300 hours, a few multi-engine, a pulse and can see somewhat straight. THEY WILL HIRE YOU!! Especially (without name calling) the regional that sucks! I get phone calls everyday from my dad; "Just jumpseated with a guy who got hired at 300 hours and 30 multiengine. The captain got upgraded after 6 months. Send in your application when you get your M.E. rating!" The regionals have guys quitting all the time and they need the talent to fill the right seats, right now! The minimums will drop again, I guarantee it, because they dont have time to wait around until you build up 600 hours. They dont even care about the minimums anyway! They need guys right now! I think that we may see some of the airlines start paying for training from zero time until you are in the right seat of a 737. Ya'll just wait. Over the next six months, thousands upon thousands of guys will quit from the regionals and they will be hiring you over the phone. My dad is retiring 7 years early and starting a health spa with my mom because he says, "The job sucks!". I beg to differ...I love to fly. But because of this "The job sucks" mentality among many pilots, they will quit and seats will be empty. That's just the way it is.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Retired

There will always be people who have no desire to fly 121 and choose to go the 135 route. There are some that will find this type of flying more appealing. With the CFI shortage building quality should become much easier as the demand for instructors increase.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Diver Driver View Post
It's kinda nice to see for a lower time guy like me, but I certainly see the other sides of the argument.
Yes it is. And I just got off the phone with my dad once again and he talked to yet another RJ pilot who put his application in the day he got his multi-engine rating at 270 hours. The RJ airline replied by phone 4 days later and asked him to come in for an interview. With only 15 hours of multiengine time, they hired him that day and put him in the next class. It's absolutely mind boggling to hear this! But the pilot shortage is not taken lightly. They will hire anyone at this point. If you flew Microsoft flight sim and have logged the learjet time, they will hire you.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Heh... I just checked my pulse, I should send in an app... I guess at 500/20, im experienced now?! lol
You laugh. Why? Send in your application to that regional airline in based in phoenix (you know who I'm talking about) and see what happens. Do you honestly think they give a crap about the minimums when they are short of pilots and have 10 - 40 guys quitting every week? At 500 hours, they will hire you over the phone, pal! Send in your application to every regional airline you can think of and see what happens. I almost guarantee you an interview with at least a few.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Position: Tiki bar

Originally Posted by blastboy View Post
You laugh. Why? Send in your application to that regional airline in based in phoenix (you know who I'm talking about) and see what happens. Do you honestly think they give a crap about the minimums when they are short of pilots and have 10 - 40 guys quitting every week? At 500 hours, they will hire you over the phone, pal! Send in your application to every regional airline you can think of and see what happens. I almost guarantee you an interview with at least a few.
Well, I laugh more or less because I don't meet the min quals... but I guess it's worth a shot... (clicks send button to that 'certain Phoenix' company)

I think I'm going to hold out for Comair, I live near CVG and all my family is here so I think it will be worth the wait.

Last edited by Diver Driver; 03-20-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Well, I laugh more or less because I don't meet the min quals... but I guess it's worth a shot... (clicks send button to that 'certain Phoenix' company)

I think I'm going to hold out for Comair, I live near CVG and all my family is here so I think it will be worth the wait.
If you really have 500/20 (total/me?), send the application to Comair right now! Where do you see these min quals posted? The airline website? THEY DONT CARE!! Don't just go for comair! Send your application in to everyone because comair may not hire you. Then what? Send it in to that phoenix company because more than likely you will have a choice of base or they will base you out east anyway. As soon as you complete the training with them, send your resume to Comair immediately! This will be attractive to them for two reasons. 1) You have RJ training and they know you are a sure thing to get through their class. 2) It also shows them that you know they (Comair) are a better company an want to work for them. Pay no attention to the min quals. It means dirt! Don't defeat yourself and say "I don't meet the min quals." You know how to fly, that's all they need right now.