Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
Are 135 Operators lacking pilot applicants? >

Are 135 Operators lacking pilot applicants?

Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Are 135 Operators lacking pilot applicants?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Tiki bar

Originally Posted by blastboy View Post
If you really have 500/20 (total/me?), send the application to Comair right now! Where do you see these min quals posted? The airline website? THEY DONT CARE!! Don't just go for comair! Send your application in to everyone because comair may not hire you. Then what? Send it in to that phoenix company because more than likely you will have a choice of base or they will base you out east anyway. As soon as you complete the training with them, send your resume to Comair immediately! This will be attractive to them for two reasons. 1) You have RJ training and they know you are a sure thing to get through their class. 2) It also shows them that you know they (Comair) are a better company an want to work for them. Pay no attention to the min quals. It means dirt! Don't defeat yourself and say "I don't meet the min quals." You know how to fly, that's all they need right now.
I have a lot of friends at Comair, both on the line and in management. The company I work for now has close ties with them, so I'm hoping that might give an edge. Ya, that 20 is ME time. I did an internship with ASTAR air cargo, (DHL) last year and got some sim time and ground school too... so every bit counts i guess. I think im gonna get my schtuff together and get going on this. I was under the impression that the mins weren't that flexible.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by Diver Driver View Post
I was under the impression that the mins weren't that flexible.
As long as the FAA doesn't require it, it can be very flexible. Insurance companies are the other pain in the arse, but sometimes you just gotta pay the premium.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: RC-3 Seabee. Skipper of the A21 cutter.

I have a lot of friends at Comair, both on the line and in management. The company I work for now has close ties with them, so I'm hoping that might give an edge. Ya, that 20 is ME time. I did an internship with ASTAR air cargo, (DHL) last year and got some sim time and ground school too... so every bit counts i guess. I think im gonna get my schtuff together and get going on this. I was under the impression that the mins weren't that flexible.

Well, that internship is a big giant plus for you! They will certainly look highly on that. For the next two years at least, assuming no more planes fly into buildings, the mins will be very flexible. I know you want to stay close to home, but just in case your interested, Ryan air of Ireland has hired some american pilots with 400hrs on the 737.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Well, that internship is a big giant plus for you! They will certainly look highly on that. For the next two years at least, assuming no more planes fly into buildings, the mins will be very flexible. I know you want to stay close to home, but just in case your interested, Ryan air of Ireland has hired some american pilots with 400hrs on the 737.
Ya, I want to stay close to home right now, although that would be some exciting flying and great experience. Who do you fly for currently?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Lear 35

The 135 operator that I currently work for is once again short on pilots. I'm on an 8-on/6-off reserve schedule, and can pretty much pick up as much flying as I want during my off days. FAR 135 minimums cause us to loose a lot of potential (as well as current) pilots to the regionals. It's really hard for us to fight SJS (Shiny Jet Syndrom) when the regionals will take pretty much anyone with a pulse and put them in the right seat. Why would a 300TT/50ME guy not take that job when he needs 1200TT the get a 135 PIC gig? It's a shame, though, that folks are passing up 135 jobs to go to the regionals. The time I've put in my logbook flying 135 night freight is without equal. The education and experience is invaluable, and will propell me to much better things down the road. That... and I actually get to fly the plane, not just raise the gear. :-)
Old 03-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: UPS 757/767 Capt ONT

Maybe if they raise the pay for 135 they will be able to attract more pilots?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B727

Originally Posted by de727ups View Post
That's it, plus the schedule sucks at lots of 135 operators.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: RC-3 Seabee. Skipper of the A21 cutter.

Ya, I want to stay close to home right now, although that would be some exciting flying and great experience. Who do you fly for currently?

HeHeHe!! I wish I could say I fly for someone right now but I am still working on my IFR. I should finish that right in another 3 weeks. Anyway, I hope to get a job with an RJ within the following few months after my MEI. I get all of my airline information from my dad and just pass it on to everyone here.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

HeHeHe!! I wish I could say I fly for someone right now but I am still working on my IFR. I should finish that right in another 3 weeks. Anyway, I hope to get a job with an RJ within the following few months after my MEI. I get all of my airline information from my dad and just pass it on to everyone here.
Ok, I was wondering where all the info was coming from. I'm getting bored dumping 'cattle' out at 14,000'.... Hopefully one of these airlines will give me the call.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by fr8av8r_66 View Post
The 135 operator that I currently work for is once again short on pilots. I'm on an 8-on/6-off reserve schedule, and can pretty much pick up as much flying as I want during my off days. FAR 135 minimums cause us to loose a lot of potential (as well as current) pilots to the regionals. It's really hard for us to fight SJS (Shiny Jet Syndrom) when the regionals will take pretty much anyone with a pulse and put them in the right seat. Why would a 300TT/50ME guy not take that job when he needs 1200TT the get a 135 PIC gig? It's a shame, though, that folks are passing up 135 jobs to go to the regionals. The time I've put in my logbook flying 135 night freight is without equal. The education and experience is invaluable, and will propell me to much better things down the road. That... and I actually get to fly the plane, not just raise the gear. :-)
Yeah, but Honestly, would you want even 1/2 the guys' you know/taught with only 300TT to fly Single-pilot night ifr freight? I'm one myself, but I definately have seen plenty of people that couldn't make the cut.

Originally Posted by de727ups View Post
My job pays more than a regional equivelant, even with a good upgrade. Yeah I'm flying a prop too. Jet-upgrade, very possible in the future months.

Originally Posted by org1 View Post
That's it, plus the schedule sucks at lots of 135 operators.
Schedule depends on the company. I work weekdays, but the occasional weekend you have to be on call. We rotate through the salary line guys. Also I'm able to be home most nights.