Atlas Houston

Subscribe
10  16  17  18  19  20  21 
Page 20 of 21
Go to
The “what the hell are you doing” processing can take a while, especially if someone is under the impression their copilot is competent.
So once the PRD system is fully up and running, can an employer take a look at existing employees and take action against a pilot that concealed past skeletons in the closet?
Quote: So once the PRD system is fully up and running, can an employer take a look at existing employees and take action against a pilot that concealed past skeletons in the closet?

Great question. However I would say if individual was truthful when they applied then they should have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: Great question. However I would say if individual was truthful when they applied then they should have nothing to worry about.

Agreed. Lots of carriers are looking to downsize so you can't help wondering.....
FDX 705 comes to mind where all of this is concerned. We all have hiccups in our training backgrounds but we should be adult enough to apply with honesty.

Quote: So once the PRD system is fully up and running, can an employer take a look at existing employees and take action against a pilot that concealed past skeletons in the closet?
It is a good question. Let's just keep it focused on Atlas for now.

I would guess anyone on probation who falsified their work history would be let go immediately with no recourse.

Everyone else off of probation would probably have to go through disciplinary process stipulated in the contract. That said, I have a hard time believing our union would spend much time defending someone who actually falsified their work history.
Quote: It is a good question. Let's just keep it focused on Atlas for now.

I would guess anyone on probation who falsified their work history would be let go immediately with no recourse.
True. That's how it is now.

Quote: Everyone else off of probation would probably have to go through disciplinary process stipulated in the contract.
Yes there would be a process but I seriously doubt that would save anyone if there was plain evidence of egregious falsification. Ie failed a checkride, got a pink slip and/or recheck and did not disclose it.

The employer would consider that "original sin", no amount of seniority, longevity, or time passed could ever change the fact that you were hired under false pretenses. You be gone.

There is long-standing precedent for that in the industry. PRD might generate a wave of mass terminations as a whole lot of rocks get turned over all at once. Most of us might even gain seniority... I suspect there are some old-time offenders that thought they could away with it in years past, before the digital age caught up to them.

Quote: That said, I have a hard time believing our union would spend much time defending someone who actually falsified their work history.
Not true. They'd have to put in the effort (DFR). But I doubt it would change the ultimate outcome. For most disciplinary issues you can promise to never do it again. But you can't really promise to never lie on your application again, that's a bell that cannot be unrung.
Another benefit of an improved PRD: priorities and reduced anxiety.

Right now if someone can hide their work history and gloss over inconvenient facts in their background. More relative weight is placed on whether someone seems like a "good fit". When all of us can see each other, warts and all, a clean training/FAA history will be worth more. People will still schmooze their way into jobs, but it'll be just a tad less schmoozy.

Also this forum is jam-packed with people asking about whether they should or should not list something in their history. Does something come up? If it doesn't come up, should they mention it to be safe? Does mentioning something to be safe wind up costing you your dream job? Think about all that tension out there! All these pilots acting cool in person then quietly freaking out in private could be a thing of the past!

With a single database all that guesswork is gone. You know what they know what everyone else knows. Simple. No angst or guesswork required. It'll be a good thing. All answers would be "Check the PRD before your interview and be prepared to talk about what you see in there.". It's a simple, elegant solution to a lot of problems.

I don't accept this as a simple solution to GTI3591, however. HR departments including ours have been doing better background checks on guys and reading documents that DB claimed not to understand. Also, tax records and other things would have revealed his previous employment that wasn't listed. We dropped the ball. Others have made these points better and earlier than me here, so I won't belabor them any more.
Quote: I don't accept this as a simple solution to GTI3591, however. HR departments including ours have been doing better background checks on guys and reading documents that DB claimed not to understand. Also, tax records and other things would have revealed his previous employment that wasn't listed. We dropped the ball. Others have made these points better and earlier than me here, so I won't belabor them any more.
State labor laws increasingly prevent employers from digging too deeply or too broadly into applicant's backgrounds. I'd bet that few states would allow an employer to demand your tax returns.

Google "ban the box". Fortunately TSA/SIDA would not be limited by that kind of silliness.
Quote: State labor laws increasingly prevent employers from digging too deeply or too broadly into applicant's backgrounds. I'd bet that few states would allow an employer to demand your tax returns.

Google "ban the box". Fortunately TSA/SIDA would not be limited by that kind of silliness.
Interesting.
10  16  17  18  19  20  21 
Page 20 of 21
Go to