Hiring Stopped

Subscribe
9  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  29 
Page 19 of 35
Go to
Quote: Anyone ever made sourdough bread before?
Yes. It’s important to have a good starter...which takes time and patience as you nurture it and love it. I use a dutch oven for my Sourdough. Apparently the steam helps or something...not sure.
Quote: Yes. It’s important to have a good starter...which takes time and patience as you nurture it and love it. I use a dutch oven for my Sourdough. Apparently the steam helps or something...not sure.

that whole " starter " is something that I have to find out how to make. Any tips?
Quote: that whole " starter " is something that I have to find out how to make. Any tips?
making a starter is extremely simple and often overblown. Mix equal mass water and flour. Let it sit for a day. Add double mass flour and water day 2. Repeat until you’re adding 100g or so of each every day. Then take the starter, discard all but 50g and add 100/100 to it. Repeat until about day 8. Once you have a nice ripe apple smell, you’re good to go.

so:

day1: 5g water/5g flour. Cover and set aside at room temp.
day2: 10/10
day3: 20/20
day4: 40/40
day5: 80/80 or discard all but 50 and do 100/100 if you’re getting good smell and not cheesiness.
day6-8: discard all but 50 and add 100/100

after 8 days or so, either bake and feed every day at room temp, or throw it in the fridge and do a discard/feed cycle once a week. I find that if I get a fairly mature (14-21 day) starter and starve it for a day or so, it really improves the depth of flavor development.

other tips: starter are fairly hardy. You don’t have to freak out about a missed feed cycle or if it’s not acting right straight away. Keep on feeding and cycling. It will recover unless you absolutely forget about it for 3-4 days (room temp) or weeks (fridge).

you can make cool stuff with the discarded starter, like crackers and such if you aren’t making a full loaf.
Quote: making a starter is extremely simple and often overblown. Mix equal mass water and flour. Let it sit for a day. Add double mass flour and water day 2. Repeat until you’re adding 100g or so of each every day. Then take the starter, discard all but 50g and add 100/100 to it. Repeat until about day 8. Once you have a nice ripe apple smell, you’re good to go.

so:

day5: 80/80 or discard all but 50 and do 100/100 if you’re getting good smell and not cheesiness.

after 8 days or so, either bake and feed every day at room temp, or throw it in the fridge and do a discard/feed cycle once a week. I find that if I get a fairly mature (14-21 day) starter and starve it for a day or so, it really improves the depth of flavor development.

other tips: starter are fairly hardy. You don’t have to freak out about a missed feed cycle or if it’s not acting right straight away. Keep on feeding and cycling. It will recover unless you absolutely forget about it for 3-4 days (room temp) or weeks (fridge).

you can make cool stuff with the discarded starter, like crackers and such if you aren’t making a full loaf.

Thanks, I appreciate it.... I'm going to give it try in the morning
Quote: making a starter is extremely simple and often overblown. Mix equal mass water and flour. Let it sit for a day. Add double mass flour and water day 2. Repeat until you’re adding 100g or so of each every day. Then take the starter, discard all but 50g and add 100/100 to it. Repeat until about day 8. Once you have a nice ripe apple smell, you’re good to go.

so:

Trying this too. Game on!
Sourdoughs and beards for April, it’s on!
I have or I should say had a class date for May. When training starts again, will SkyWest still take those of us who already have these job offers/class dates? Obviously I know it will be some time, but just wondering if I keep working where I am and wait it out, will I be getting a new class date when things get back up and running or will our job offers be gone? Appreciate any feedback or advice.
Unfortunately all of the answers are TBD. The earliest I think we will know more is in May.
Solvency is also TBD.
Quote: Unfortunately all of the answers are TBD. The earliest I think we will know more is in May.
Solvency is also TBD.
True. We as a country need to get past COV19 before the entire country is insolvent. We are living through historic times, we do not yet know the end of this chapter.
Quote: True. We as a country need to get past COV19 before the entire country is insolvent. We are living through historic times, we do not yet know the end of this chapter.
we will definitely get past the virus, but as others have said, airlines are going to be different beasts going forward. This stress test will wash many out and I think many regionals are going away sooner rather than later. Skywest will survive, but I’m guessing as a much smaller airline.
9  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  29 
Page 19 of 35
Go to