Tool of the day

Subscribe
268  318  358  364  365  366  367  368  369  370  371  372  378  418  468  868 
Page 368 of 1239
Go to
Quote: Captains, instructors, people in leadership positions who don't take the time to train, mentor, instruct, etc, are tools. I've been doing this for a long time. The most effective method, by a landslide, is to take the time to do it right and lead by example. ATL is a different animal. I can understand why new guys are a little clueless.
Well said.

I hate flying with know-it-all captains. Everything has to be a pi$$ing match with guys like that. I've seen and made many mistakes from both seats, and see little to no need to over sensationalize it.

They are typically the guys who put in for check airmen positions as a result of their insecure need for superiority. (a.k.a. Small penis syndrome)

I think DAL does a decent job of keeping those types out of the LCA program. (From what I've seen at least)
LCA is one of those jobs where, anyone who wants the job isn't fit to have it!
Quote: Captains, instructors, people in leadership positions who don't take the time to train, mentor, instruct, etc, are tools. I've been doing this for a long time. The most effective method, by a landslide, is to take the time to do it right and lead by example. ATL is a different animal. I can understand why new guys are a little clueless.
Agreed, Buzz. Been around the block once or twice doing the IP/LCA gig myself.

The absolute best guys to work with are on their game, and secure with themselves. Laid back, knowledgable, willing to pass on the finer points. Nothing ever seems to go off the rails with these guys...you could be in the middle of the biggest CF this side of JFK and they're like "eh, we get there when we get there".

On the other end of the spectrum are the A type dooshes that THINK they know everything, but don't, and they have to try to prove it to everyone else. These are the micro managers and are insecure with every little thing they do. Every leg is a grudge match with the agent or ATC. These are the kind of guys that are the genesis of the joke "bah, I'm on day 8 of 3".

Nu
Quote: Agreed, Buzz. Been around the block once or twice doing the IP/LCA gig myself.

The absolute best guys to work with are on their game, and secure with themselves. Laid back, knowledgable, willing to pass on the finer points. Nothing ever seems to go off the rails with these guys...you could be in the middle of the biggest CF this side of JFK and they're like "eh, we get there when we get there".

On the other end of the spectrum are the A type dooshes that THINK they know everything, but don't, and they have to try to prove it to everyone else. These are the micro managers and are insecure with every little thing they do. Every leg is a grudge match with the agent or ATC. These are the kind of guys that are the genesis of the joke "bah, I'm on day 8 of 3".

Nu
Or...."Lands smooth from the left seat."

That joke is about as fresh as the sushi in the jfk food court.
Quote: Or...."Lands smooth from the left seat."

That joke is about as fresh as the sushi in the jfk food court.
What about "lands rough from the right seat?"

And that sushi isn't fresh?
Quote: What about "lands rough from the right seat?"

And that sushi isn't fresh?
That works, there's just something about stepping off an airplane and bragging about your landing that boarders on toolish.
Quote: That works, there's just something about stepping off an airplane and bragging about your landing that boarders on toolish.
One of the funnier things I've seen was a CA that stood in the door to say good bye, and would go "Thanks for flying with us... nice landing! great landing! have a good one... nice landing!"

It was really funny watching the pax react.
Quote: One of the funnier things I've seen was a CA that stood in the door to say good bye, and would go "Thanks for flying with us... nice landing! great landing! have a good one... nice landing!"

It was really funny watching the pax react.
I flew with a guy like that, and I enjoy following the example once in a while. It's pretty fun.

OK... I'll nominate myself.
Quote: You mean the Captain expected you to know how to operate in a busy airport, minimize cost to the company, not sound like an asshat on the radio and maybe learn something while you're there???? Yeah.....what a tool... Being a big bad airline pilot is hard and they yell at you!
He has arrived! God's gift to aviation.
How about the douche nozzle "Shuttle America" Cap that takes a moment (his words not mine) to tell us about the airplane we're travlin' on at 9 AM this morn, while I'm still half in the bag after a late night idea exchange' with cap'n morgan? Like I give a flyin' hump if the thing was built in some malarial swamp "less than a year ago"...
268  318  358  364  365  366  367  368  369  370  371  372  378  418  468  868 
Page 368 of 1239
Go to