90.62%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 05:16 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2021

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
My initial read of the TA left me nonplussed. The pay raises were tepid (considering how much inflation has eaten away at purchasing power) and it appeared ADD PAY was used to solve all the previous problems we had with the contract. After looking more closely, I began to see things that caused great concern for the future of our profession. The biggest was allowing contract PI's at TK. This is a huge leverage giveaway, regardless of how innocuous it may seem now. Furthermore, the changing of reserve rules to allow 0600 departures on the first day is yet again a giveaway we should be careful about selling.

I sat on my decision until yesterday when I read the PRO-CON letters. The PRO letter seemed to be written to scare us into voting for the contract as this would be the best we could possibly do, considering a dark future economic outlook for the country. It also seemed to insinuate anything proffered by the CON side was simply misinformation. After two years of "experts" deriding supposed misinformation from other corners, only to have those same experts look like fools when the misinformation turned out to be fact, this approach seemed incredibly off key. On the other hand, the CON letter laid out a methodical, cogent explanation of the impact some of these Easter eggs could have in the long run. The foresight shown by the CON letter writers thus sounded more like my union representatives and less like management sycophants. I wasn't here for the lost decade, but I have no desire to set conditions that could facilitate its return.

If all you're looking at is $$$, then this contract should leave you wanting. If you care about the future of our profession, this contract should alarm you. The fact that this appeared so unexpectedly should signal a shift in the negotiating climate, particularly in light of the growing agitation at other airlines. I voted no because I won't be scared into voting for something with obvious warts. I encourage others to look carefully at the downside of this TA and consider where it could take us.

Well said point of view, very interesting observation.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:50 PM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2022

For all you yes votes remember you can now change it to a no vote.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Mytime2025 View Post
TA IS SUSPENDED.

MEC knew this is failing and got an out. I don't give a **** how we get it done, just get it done. Retirement plan will be the only way any TAs will pass.
I would pull to that old vacancy chestnut and say "The TA is in flux"

Maybe unprecedented, but ALPA legally probably can't back out of an active vote. We have until July 15 and the MEC is not even selling it anymore.
It should be 99.5 percent NO not including the 7-10 percent who can never be bothered to pay attention anyway. A no brainer.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:43 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by Cruz Clearance View Post
I would pull to that old vacancy chestnut and say "The TA is in flux"

Maybe unprecedented, but ALPA legally probably can't back out of an active vote. We have until July 15 and the MEC is not even selling it anymore.
It should be 99.5 percent NO not including the 7-10 percent who can never be bothered to pay attention anyway. A no brainer.
The MEC needs to come out and literally tell the pilots to vote NO. Sadly, I have little faith in this pilot group to do it on our own. The forums are a GREAT resource but too many people are scared away from it because of the handful of jerks that constantly post nonsense. Of course, said scared pilots could also just ignore those posts. 🤦‍♂️
Old 07-02-2022, 05:14 AM
Banned

Angry Call me a jerk ( great movie ) lol

Originally Posted by Mitch Rapp View Post
The MEC needs to come out and literally tell the pilots to vote NO. Sadly, I have little faith in this pilot group to do it on our own. The forums are a GREAT resource but too many people are scared away from it because of the handful of jerks that constantly post nonsense. Of course, said scared pilots could also just ignore those posts. 🤦‍♂️
Scared of what? A forum is by design a place to express your opinions on matters that affect you. I would say this TA affects us all. Are they scared about being offended ? If your that sensitive then yes by all means stay off the forums. Luckily I'm immune from being offended I just speak my mind and I think I've made it clear this TA is an insult to the profession. Agree or disagree it matters nothing to me. BTW crickets from the MEC . I got slammed for suggesting the TA was " effectively suspended" until we get communication from the MEC I still stand by that statement. Yes voting is still open by why would you vote until you know what the hell is going on? That's why I said effectively. Don't like it? Fine with me just speaking truth to reality.

Last edited by Mytime2025; 07-02-2022 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AxlF16 View Post
Great post - especially this 👍
Agreed and said in just a few sentences unlike my long winded ranting style. That's just me lol
Old 07-02-2022, 09:12 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2020

From another forum. The OP posted it there under their real, well known name, but I've been cautioned not to post that here. Stunned the hell out of me when I saw who it was from, but good on them.

Originally Posted by A Well Known and Respected Pilot
From another forum:

Hello all-

Over the last week I've literally had hundreds of texts and messages about this TA. I have the upmost respect for ALPA, our reps and committee volunteers......as well as a love for our airline and pilot group. After weighing in all the options, listening to pros and cons, town halls, Q & A emails and tonight- the AA TA released- this hasn't settled well with me. I've been torn on this...but my gut has said this doesn't feel right.

There has been hundreds and hundreds of comments and some very detailed thoughts and insight. After tonight's MEC update- I feel this is the final red flag to say: "time out". I've voted No- we need to reassess, regroup and re-adapt to this post-Covid environment and what our future brings. This is the time to be truly United and I hope we can come together to reach a successful future. I greatly appreciate the effort and time the MEC and NC have put on this and believe they truly were doing what they felt was best. Things have changed and this may take some time to reassess this situation. I only want success for all of us and I want our United Next plan to be successful as well as the best work rules, contract and stability for our pilot group.

This is my opinion and I respect all who have taken the time to share all their views. There is no right and wrong- it's what's best for you, your family and pilot group. To the new hires- I know you aren't allowed to vote at this time, but please know - you are family too and most of us try to vote on what's best from the most junior to the top to protect and enhance the lives of all United pilots. No matter how you vote, I expect continued respect of our ALPA leadership as well as each other.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AntiPeter View Post
Yes. At times I have thought twice about coming to United. At times I have regretted my decision.

Yes. I have been disappointed.

If the pilots at UAL turn down this agreement and on the other side show solidarity and strength, my faith in the industry and pilot group will be restored.
Agreed but probably a pipe dream. United pilots are notorious for accepting lousy contracts and succumbing to fear.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CALPilotToo View Post
Why anyone would choose UAL over FedEx and UPS is beyond me. I get it from the outside looking in but if one truly does their homework no way is it justified to come here over those two. And after seeing this Id be getting my stuff in at FedEx and UPS so quick. The career earnings and retirement numbers at those two places is staggering over a career at UAL. Mind blowing the differences…
That's what I've been saying and getting trashed for it. Fact is we let the company steal our pensions and have done ZERO towards getting anything back. And the sad part is that to many United pilots are just fine and dandy with that. Absolute disgrace in my opinion.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by Broncofan View Post
completely agree, I really enjoy working here and am proud of our culture.. but we need to vote no to keep it that way and get something better.
I don’t disagree with this at all but just from a union, pay, career earnings, and retirement no United pilot unless they own a business or do something else will never come close to what a UPS or FedEx pilot will make and retire with. Simple facts!! And I think that’s one of the reasons we see such abuse in our offline FTFPL union guys. They get that 94.5 hours and a lifestyle of no holidays no commuting etc and it simply sucks them in and then we give scope, we give 10am to 6am, we give up union jobs for non union members to take out jobs. Just amazing what we deal with as a union that simply is so much more tame at other carriers. ALPA has become nothing but a who’s who of friends and that how 75% of all the inner workings work. So much corruption.

But like you I don’t let that kill my passion of flight or working for an airline and I like working here. I like the culture (line people) here and I like the flying here. But if I was in my first 1-3 years as a newby and under 40 I’d be so gone to UPS or FedEx in a heartbeat. And if I was considering UAL over UPS or FedEx UAL is a well distant 3.