Notices

Let the half wingers vote!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 09:43 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Ice Bear View Post
Letting prior-ALPA vote is a good idea, but it would also be a can of worms. What about ex-Teamsters? SkyWest? Etc. Would also probably rub mil people the wrong way.

That being said, I do hope they poll a fair amount of new guys.
Personally I'd draw the line at non-ALPA, teamsters would be a can of worms, there are a variety of other niche unions out there too. Or maybe a recip agreement with teamsters?

Skywest, no. They pretty much all "get it" and will vote with pilot group interests in mind... the ones opposed to a union are mostly not the ones leaving for the majors. But you have to draw the line somewhere (I'm former OO).
Old 07-14-2022, 09:45 AM

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Position: MEC Chairman, Snack Basket Committee

Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
Sometimes in life you just gotta be patient and let the process work……. I’m perfectly fine with the current process.

That’s one of the many reasons why I pick up the tab for any half-winger that I fly with. It allows them to get to know their new aircraft, the way we approach every facet of the job at UA without the pressures of worrying about which dinner or drink to order with dinner (coffee at the airport) on first year pay.

It also allows time for mentoring and points of view from the old guy on how we got where we are today.

It’s only 12 months - you will be ok and I will buy you the beer 🍺 for you to cry about it in 😂
Ha, i've been here a year thanks, but anyway I should have been more specific. I meant changing the rule from "must be off probation at the time of the vote" to "must be off probation at the close of the vote" - this would allow hundreds of full wing pilots to have a voice. Having completed probation, have they not earned that?

Btw, thanks for picking up the tab and mentoring us.. not everyone does and it means a lot! I can't wait to pay that forward one day.

*update* looks like a new TA vote will create a new eligibility list so nm...

Last edited by BobbyLeeSwagger; 07-14-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
Sometimes in life you just gotta be patient and let the process work……. I’m perfectly fine with the current process.

That’s one of the many reasons why I pick up the tab for any half-winger that I fly with. It allows them to get to know their new aircraft, the way we approach every facet of the job at UA without the pressures of worrying about which dinner or drink to order with dinner (coffee at the airport) on first year pay.

It also allows time for mentoring and points of view from the old guy on how we got where we are today.

It’s only 12 months - you will be ok and I will buy you the beer 🍺 for you to cry about it in 😂
What Bobby is talking about is all the people who became full wingers from the end of June until mid September who aren’t going to be able to vote on this. I think there is time to fix that and it’s the right thing to do. If you’re a dues paying full winger two months before close of voting why shouldn’t you be able to vote? I get needing to have a cut off right before voting opens when you’re only keeping it open for two weeks, but it’s kind of ridiculous that we have this nebulous open voting for the next 3 months while they are altering the contract we’re voting on.

they should just scrap it and re-open the vote when they’re done messing with the thing.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010
Position: 787 Capt.

Originally Posted by Random Task View Post
They don't want us to vote because it would be another 2000 no's.

regardless if you agree with it or not, it’s in the bylaws.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Personally I'd draw the line at non-ALPA, teamsters would be a can of worms, there are a variety of other niche unions out there too. Or maybe a recip agreement with teamsters?

Skywest, no. They pretty much all "get it" and will vote with pilot group interests in mind... the ones opposed to a union are mostly not the ones leaving for the majors. But you have to draw the line somewhere (I'm former OO).
As a former Teamster, I’d like to see this whole thing fall apart- at their kneecaps
Old 07-14-2022, 01:36 PM
Strike averted!

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: B737

At WN, probationary pilots can vote. The key is education. The recent video post with the whiteboard is a good example—and by the way I watched the video from the SWAPA forum! Nice work.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:11 PM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2022
Default Don't over think this thing

SK actually wants a solid TA obviously more than our own NC did. Never in history has it been this way. Why? SK wants to stay ahead of DAL and AMR so he needs the pilots to do that. Some will go to FedEx ,UPS and those left will have the big three to choose from along with a few regionals ( they will get the DUI crowd). The carrier with the best contract will win that battle.. and SK knows it. Only thing that can set United apart from the entire airline pack would be a pension plan. If Kirby agrees on it first he wins and can grow United at will. Pilots are not interested in comparing pay rates that are within 3% of each other. Give them a pension like plan and you got em hooked for life. Kirby wants this process done fast and hopefully the NC won't screw it up. Lock Hamilton and Kirby in a room with council 12 no voters and we could have a deal in a week. Keep the rest of the MEC out of it at this stage. Take the polling and then secure the best TA by far in the industry with a me too included. United could then grow at such a clip that would leave the rest of the industry in the dust.