Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #21  
Layover Master
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigatro View Post
depends on if it is offered in the class. if it is then you will bid by age. if you get it you can always quit.
Thanks. I understand you bid by age. What I am specifically asking is that recently the company was curtailing the contract by creating separate new hire classes in which they ONLY offered the 747. They did this with 747-time pilots, is this still a practice that is happening.
UPS is a phenomenal job, I wouldn't quit, just trying to understand current practices. TIA.
PotatoChip is online now  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #22  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SaltyDog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal
Posts: 1,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhughes8 View Post
Right. I donít know where you fit say 30-40 A330ís outside the air wings. The wildcard is pricing, if Airbus offers a very sweet deal, who knows...
Pricing is a wildcard, but an equal wildcard IMO is density of aircraft (less than 40 A330 freighters worldwide). AOG and parts become a real reliability issue to be resolved. Bigger wildcard, why introduce a new fleet at this point. The MD's will last long enough to allow a network built around 767s and 74's that would compete successfully against 777/767 networks. 767's are a productive moneymaker. Will be supported for decades thanks to USAF and Purple new production as well as current orders at UPS. Link that with no new fleet introduction requirements, no new sim types, no original vacancy bids and have best package with eliminating MD and replace with combo 74/76 network at best network and labor cost.
But logic often matters little in these decisions
SaltyDog is offline  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #23  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
Thanks. I understand you bid by age. What I am specifically asking is that recently the company was curtailing the contract by creating separate new hire classes in which they ONLY offered the 747. They did this with 747-time pilots, is this still a practice that is happening.
UPS is a phenomenal job, I wouldn't quit, just trying to understand current practices. TIA.
You cannot bid something that is not available. So if you get put in ďheavyĒ class then you will have no choice. They may offer MD, which you would bid by age.
howardhughes8 is online now  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #24  
Thanks for the jumpseat!
 
dudewannabe's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: MD-11 galley operator
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
Is management/staffing still hand picking pilots from classes and creating new classes for 74 guys and gals? I have 2000 747 time and would rather not go to it at this time... I've been told there is a good likelihood they send you to it if you have time. Accurate?
You could just stomp your feet, cry or ask for a mental health day and Im sure you wont have to worry about it.
dudewannabe is offline  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #25  
Gets Weekends Off
 
SaltyDog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal
Posts: 1,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
Is management/staffing still hand picking pilots from classes and creating new classes for 74 guys and gals? I have 2000 747 time and would rather not go to it at this time... I've been told there is a good likelihood they send you to it if you have time. Accurate?
If current in 747, chances increase will be placed in a class that only has the 747 choice.
If not current, then a 50/50 case, could end up in 75/76 or A300 if current a/c is similar to these a/c.
UPS still starting classes a day apart to manage the placement of crews where they desire maximum experience. They did this 20+ years ago as well, maybe a week apart back then, but was same strategy.
SaltyDog is offline  
Old 07-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #26  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
Pricing is a wildcard, but an equal wildcard IMO is density of aircraft (less than 40 A330 freighters worldwide). AOG and parts become a real reliability issue to be resolved. Bigger wildcard, why introduce a new fleet at this point. The MD's will last long enough to allow a network built around 767s and 74's that would compete successfully against 777/767 networks. 767's are a productive moneymaker. Will be supported for decades thanks to USAF and Purple new production as well as current orders at UPS. Link that with no new fleet introduction requirements, no new sim types, no original vacancy bids and have best package with eliminating MD and replace with combo 74/76 network at best network and labor cost.
But logic often matters little in these decisions
Excellent points
howardhughes8 is online now  
Old 07-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #27  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
Thanks. I understand you bid by age. What I am specifically asking is that recently the company was curtailing the contract by creating separate new hire classes in which they ONLY offered the 747. They did this with 747-time pilots, is this still a practice that is happening.
UPS is a phenomenal job, I wouldn't quit, just trying to understand current practices. TIA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
Ooookay.
I donít like THAT schedule. Is that all FedEx has? I donít want to spend my career doing 40 minute flights to IND and back. That sounds awful, so I shouldnít go to FedEx??

I like international long haul flights, transcons, long layovers... Have flown years of heavy freight and have four internal LORs, I think I have a grip on the schedules and lifestyle.
You seem very particular about the kind of flying you are going to be doing as a new hire. Maybe night cargo is not a good fit?
millscd63 is offline  
Old 07-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #28  
Layover Master
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,114
Default

Sorry to the people who seem to think I’m whining. I’m sorry for trying to plan out my family’s life BEFORE changing airlines. If gaining information on class placement is frowned upon then perhaps a LOT of threads should be closed down. I’ve flown cargo for years, love it, but do not want to be based in ANC, is that a problem or something?
UPS has a history of flagrantly circumventing the contract in this particular regard (from what i am told) and I’m simply asking if they are still doing it. Perhaps be upset with that instead of someone only asking if they are still doing it so they can consider employment before coming over.
I just wanted to know if I’d get the 747 and be seat locked 4000 miles from home for 18 months...
PotatoChip is online now  
Old 07-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #29  
Layover Master
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
If current in 747, chances increase will be placed in a class that only has the 747 choice.
If not current, then a 50/50 case, could end up in 75/76 or A300 if current a/c is similar to these a/c.
UPS still starting classes a day apart to manage the placement of crews where they desire maximum experience. They did this 20+ years ago as well, maybe a week apart back then, but was same strategy.
Thank you! Exactly the information I was looking for. I donít know why some found this so hard. Cheers.
PotatoChip is online now  
Old 07-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #30  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
Sorry to the people who seem to think Iím whining. Iím sorry for trying to plan out my familyís life BEFORE changing airlines. If gaining information on class placement is frowned upon then perhaps a LOT of threads should be closed down. Iíve flown cargo for years, love it, but do not want to be based in ANC, is that a problem or something?
UPS has a history of flagrantly circumventing the contract in this particular regard (from what i am told) and Iím simply asking if they are still doing it. Perhaps be upset with that instead of someone only asking if they are still doing it so they can consider employment before coming over.
I just wanted to know if Iíd get the 747 and be seat locked 4000 miles from home for 18 months...
You left a great impression on the FedEx schedule thread as well.
Riverside is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frontier Future Growth UnprotectdPilot Frontier 18 07-19-2019 09:52 AM
Upgrade times Sr. Barco Southwest 5 04-12-2016 07:36 PM
Exxecutive Jet Management hiring, lots of growth UCLAbruins Corporate 6 11-27-2007 12:52 PM
Air Cargo Growth Forecast Freight Dog Cargo 1 05-21-2006 09:27 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:50 AM.