Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by hemaybedid View Post
I'be been through a lot of this thread. Can anyone give me info on the sdf and cvg bases? Anything would be appreciated.
The only thing I know about CVG is that most runs are overnight. I believe that with some runs you only get one night off.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Brazilian View Post
The only thing I know about CVG is that most runs are overnight. I believe that with some runs you only get one night off.
You will fly 6 days a week. You will spend 20 hours a day away from CVG at various places, but will not get per diem. Evidently because you are back in Cincinnati for 2-3 hours in the middle on the night means that you don't need per diem. The hotels will range from decent to terrible, and you will spend more time waiting for hotel shuttles than you will actually flying. You will never see the sun, and will not get days off when you request them.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: the right side

Originally Posted by capnkirk View Post
I don't have any experience myself with CVG, but from my understanding, SDF has a few pilots (4 maybe?) that rotate between reserve and 2 different runs. To my knowledge it's all in a 1900.
3 1900 runs and pilots in the SDF system (1 outstation based)
Old 10-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

So is SDF not as bad as everyone makes CVG out to be?
Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by AboveAndBeyond View Post
You will fly 6 days a week. You will spend 20 hours a day away from CVG at various places, but will not get per diem. Evidently because you are back in Cincinnati for 2-3 hours in the middle on the night means that you don't need per diem. The hotels will range from decent to terrible, and you will spend more time waiting for hotel shuttles than you will actually flying. You will never see the sun, and will not get days off when you request them.
The biggest issues with CVG have always been (IMHO) a "Catch 22."

I know the ACP up there would LIKE to be able to split the schedule so that one pilot would fly a run Su-W and then another would cover Th/F and a couple weekend days.

The issue is that they can't get/keep pilots in the base. Until they can get the staffing, they can't adjust the schedule or cover all time off requests. And with the schedule the way it is, they can't get people to take an assignment there. Thus the Catch 22.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Sign me up!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007

That sounds just like the movie "Office Space", without the stapler.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:34 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2014

The schedule is rough, the home life suffers and flying their aircraft is like playing roulette.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2013

I don't understand the people that say "at least you are home every night" when all you have is a few hours home, and you need that time to sleep, because you had a long duty day. Are you really home every day?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:24 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Originally Posted by Brazilian View Post
I don't understand the people that say "at least you are home every night" when all you have is a few hours home, and you need that time to sleep, because you had a long duty day. Are you really home every day?
You are home every nigh at some bases, but from about 8pm to 4am. I wouldn't exactly call that quality time at home. I would rather do a 4 day trip and be home for 2 full days rather then the 8 hrs when you are sleeping to recover for the next day. But thats just me, everyone has their own priorities.