Notices

Alaska Air Hiring

Old 08-07-2018, 12:38 PM
  #3401  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,904
Default

Originally Posted by KnockKnock
Is Alaska mismanaged, yes. Has Alaska’s future become murky, yes. Has Alaska mishandled the acquisition, yes. Does Alaska need a management overhaul from the top down, yes. Is there room for many improvements, yes. Is Alaska a terrible place to work, no. I came from a terrible place to work and know the difference. I suggest, if you haven’t already, everyone on here complaining about how bad it is, take the time to send JL, BT and BM along with your base reps, an email respectfully stating your Union speaks for you and you wish to be heard. Otherwise all the complaining, *****ingnmoaning, and hate towards AS is no better than a toddler throwing a tantrum because they didn’t get the exact flavor of lollipop they wanted. It’s time to do something about our situation.
Again, that no should be a yes. Stop comparing Alaska to where you came from. Of course it’s an improvement. But compared to the 2014-present hiring cycle, how many pilots left Delta, American, United, or Southwest to come to Alaska? Probably zero, or maybe at best you can count on one hand how many. Alaska is a “legacy” airline and as such should be compared to the big 5, not the terrible place you came from (or anywhere else for that matter). AS being a good, so so, or terrible place should be a comparison to other big top 5 carriers in terms of career prospects, growth, retirements, pay, QOL, scheduling.
ShyGuy is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:42 PM
  #3402  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Posts: 341
Default

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yPWnipuKYAs

This is AK pilots every time they get the shaft.
lowflying is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:56 PM
  #3403  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Oct 2016
Posts: 98
Default

Their secret sauce is one part competent management and five parts running Aloha Airlines out of business and having a monopoly for ten years.

Originally Posted by ShyGuy
Is he also selling some secret sauce?


Looks like Hawaiian Airlines just got a hold of some secret sauce. How they double their size in 10 yrs:

?It?s our secret sauce?: Hawaiian Airlines CEO on how the airline doubled in size over 10 years ? Travel Weekly
VirginEskimo is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:56 PM
  #3404  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 692
Default

Originally Posted by ShyGuy
Again, that no should be a yes. Stop comparing Alaska to where you came from. Of course it’s an improvement. But compared to the 2014-present hiring cycle, how many pilots left Delta, American, United, or Southwest to come to Alaska? Probably zero, or maybe at best you can count on one hand how many. Alaska is a “legacy” airline and as such should be compared to the big 5, not the terrible place you came from (or anywhere else for that matter). AS being a good, so so, or terrible place should be a comparison to other big top 5 carriers in terms of career prospects, growth, retirements, pay, QOL, scheduling.
You’re saying that because Alaska ranks at the bottom of the top 5 airlines in the country, it’s a terrible place to work? Is that a correct interpretation of your statement? So because we are 4% behind in pay, a half % behind in 401K, our scope is almost zero and our section 25 needs improvement, this is a “TERRIBLE” place to work? I think a more accurate assessment would be that AS is lagging in leadership and contract language but it’s not a terrible place to work. You clearly have no idea of what a terrible place to work looks like. To validate your point you say no other Legacy pilots left for AS from ‘14-present. How many VX pilots left for AS? I know a few. How many AS pilots left for VX? I don’t know any. How many of those same Legacy pilots left for VX? If that’s how you measure a terrible place to work than it kinda negates your point because that would mean VX was an even more terribler or the most terriblest place to work since nobody left their Legacies to go there (voluntarily). I know those aren’t words but that’s how my 3 yr old would say it and I think it fits nicely into this pointless argument. Yes, when compared to the top 5 airlines in the country, AS is lagging and needs to get its ish together to complete and improve employee/management relations. A “terrible place to work”, ha, no. Every airline has been at a low point. Some of those same airlines are top players in today’s market. Let’s see how this plays out and in the meantime, write your leaders/reps and let them know how you feel.
KnockKnock is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 07:37 PM
  #3405  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green
Posts: 4,378
Default

Actually I know of one. He was an ex-SKW Check Airman who left AS for VX. Heard he ended up as a Check Airman at VX. Ironic, no? If VX pilots get relative position he'll vault over his contemporaries who stayed..
Packrat is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 07:40 PM
  #3406  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2015
Posts: 129
Default

Tried the search function for my question but couldn't find anything. Any thought on what questions Alaska asks at job fairs?
denverpilot7 is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:10 PM
  #3407  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,904
Default

Originally Posted by KnockKnock
You’re saying that because Alaska ranks at the bottom of the top 5 airlines in the country, it’s a terrible place to work? Is that a correct interpretation of your statement? So because we are 4% behind in pay, a half % behind in 401K, our scope is almost zero and our section 25 needs improvement, this is a “TERRIBLE” place to work? I think a more accurate assessment would be that AS is lagging in leadership and contract language but it’s not a terrible place to work. You clearly have no idea of what a terrible place to work looks like. To validate your point you say no other Legacy pilots left for AS from ‘14-present. How many VX pilots left for AS? I know a few. How many AS pilots left for VX? I don’t know any. How many of those same Legacy pilots left for VX? If that’s how you measure a terrible place to work than it kinda negates your point because that would mean VX was an even more terribler or the most terriblest place to work since nobody left their Legacies to go there (voluntarily). I know those aren’t words but that’s how my 3 yr old would say it and I think it fits nicely into this pointless argument. Yes, when compared to the top 5 airlines in the country, AS is lagging and needs to get its ish together to complete and improve employee/management relations. A “terrible place to work”, ha, no. Every airline has been at a low point. Some of those same airlines are top players in today’s market. Let’s see how this plays out and in the meantime, write your leaders/reps and let them know how you feel.
Let’s admit that AS today has two separate entities that feel differently. Legacy AS and legacy VX. On your end there haven’t been any major losses. Maybe a couple guys lose their AUS turn or ABQ turn lines or whatever other crap the Airbus is taking over. On the VX side everything is changing for the worse. With no scope, Airbus routes are giving way to E175s. A base closure with no support or info on what do to in order to move. Told twice we’d get Fedex letters explaining everything and nada. Losing scheduling to a worse system with worse rules. Some of those are extremely archaic. A huge issue is seeing how you guys handle outright violations. For example, it came out a couple months ago that mgt messed something up in scheduling (something about step trading windows or some coverage that results in things not being approved but should have been approved). And the pilot response was that your leadership basically shook a very hard finger at mgt and told them not to let it happen again, but the rumor I heard was something very similar did happen again. It comes off as a lack of backbone issue. I digress. Terrible place to work? It depends on your definition of it, but compared to the other legacy carriers yes this place is going downhill. Let alone all the other stuff, having zero scope alone makes it terrible. Nothing like seeing E175s take over Airbus routes, and didn’t they say one Airbus lease in 2019 wouldn’t be renewed? No one knows what their game plan is but I can tell ya if you think morale is bad now just wait IF they start returning Buses and replacing more routes with E175s. The TPA protections go away after the merger operational date expiration thing. After that, block hours and fleet numbers are all up in the air or on the chopping block.

As for guys I know one AS guy that came to VX as Packrat mentioned. I also know one guy who interviewed at VX with me and wasn’t hired, and then was in an AS class 6 months later. I’m sure that’s also true vice versa. As for the hiring dynamics, the industry was what it was in 2007-2008. I can’t speak for who came to VX and their reasons. I can only speak for myself, and losing a base, facing a 2200nm commute, schedules that won’t touch east coast home overnights, going from a decent scheduling system to a crappy one, losing days off, less efficient trips, etc, for me ends up being a terrible deal. The payraise doesn’t make up for it. And put another way, if this wasn’t a terrible deal then would I be looking for employment elsewhere? Because as it stands I am looking to get out. I don’t think I’d say that for anything but a terrible deal. Maybe my wording should be it’s a terrible deal instead of a terrible place. Just my honest opinion. In the merger so far, the 117 east coast based pilots have lost the most. It is what it is.
ShyGuy is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:38 PM
  #3408  
Gets Weekends Off
 
NotTellin's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: Upright & Breathing
Posts: 317
Default

Originally Posted by ShyGuy
Let’s admit that AS today has two separate entities that feel differently. Legacy AS and legacy VX. On your end there haven’t been any major losses. Maybe a couple guys lose their AUS turn or ABQ turn lines or whatever other crap the Airbus is taking over. On the VX side everything is changing for the worse. With no scope, Airbus routes are giving way to E175s. A base closure with no support or info on what do to in order to move. Told twice we’d get Fedex letters explaining everything and nada. Losing scheduling to a worse system with worse rules. Some of those are extremely archaic. A huge issue is seeing how you guys handle outright violations. For example, it came out a couple months ago that mgt messed something up in scheduling (something about step trading windows or some coverage that results in things not being approved but should have been approved). And the pilot response was that your leadership basically shook a very hard finger at mgt and told them not to let it happen again, but the rumor I heard was something very similar did happen again. It comes off as a lack of backbone issue. I digress. Terrible place to work? It depends on your definition of it, but compared to the other legacy carriers yes this place is going downhill. Let alone all the other stuff, having zero scope alone makes it terrible. Nothing like seeing E175s take over Airbus routes, and didn’t they say one Airbus lease in 2019 wouldn’t be renewed? No one knows what their game plan is but I can tell ya if you think morale is bad now just wait IF they start returning Buses and replacing more routes with E175s. The TPA protections go away after the merger operational date expiration thing. After that, block hours and fleet numbers are all up in the air or on the chopping block.

As for guys I know one AS guy that came to VX as Packrat mentioned. I also know one guy who interviewed at VX with me and wasn’t hired, and then was in an AS class 6 months later. I’m sure that’s also true vice versa. As for the hiring dynamics, the industry was what it was in 2007-2008. I can’t speak for who came to VX and their reasons. I can only speak for myself, and losing a base, facing a 2200nm commute, schedules that won’t touch east coast home overnights, going from a decent scheduling system to a crappy one, losing days off, less efficient trips, etc, for me ends up being a terrible deal. The payraise doesn’t make up for it. And put another way, if this wasn’t a terrible deal then would I be looking for employment elsewhere? Because as it stands I am looking to get out. I don’t think I’d say that for anything but a terrible deal. Maybe my wording should be it’s a terrible deal instead of a terrible place. Just my honest opinion. In the merger so far, the 117 east coast based pilots have lost the most. It is what it is.
For once I’m glad you couldn’t keep quiet on APC! Just remember you will change no ones mind with the back and forth.
NotTellin is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 AM
  #3409  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 692
Default

Originally Posted by ShyGuy
Let’s admit that AS today has two separate entities that feel differently. Legacy AS and legacy VX. On your end there haven’t been any major losses. Maybe a couple guys lose their AUS turn or ABQ turn lines or whatever other crap the Airbus is taking over. On the VX side everything is changing for the worse. With no scope, Airbus routes are giving way to E175s. A base closure with no support or info on what do to in order to move. Told twice we’d get Fedex letters explaining everything and nada. Losing scheduling to a worse system with worse rules. Some of those are extremely archaic. A huge issue is seeing how you guys handle outright violations. For example, it came out a couple months ago that mgt messed something up in scheduling (something about step trading windows or some coverage that results in things not being approved but should have been approved). And the pilot response was that your leadership basically shook a very hard finger at mgt and told them not to let it happen again, but the rumor I heard was something very similar did happen again. It comes off as a lack of backbone issue. I digress. Terrible place to work? It depends on your definition of it, but compared to the other legacy carriers yes this place is going downhill. Let alone all the other stuff, having zero scope alone makes it terrible. Nothing like seeing E175s take over Airbus routes, and didn’t they say one Airbus lease in 2019 wouldn’t be renewed? No one knows what their game plan is but I can tell ya if you think morale is bad now just wait IF they start returning Buses and replacing more routes with E175s. The TPA protections go away after the merger operational date expiration thing. After that, block hours and fleet numbers are all up in the air or on the chopping block.

As for guys I know one AS guy that came to VX as Packrat mentioned. I also know one guy who interviewed at VX with me and wasn’t hired, and then was in an AS class 6 months later. I’m sure that’s also true vice versa. As for the hiring dynamics, the industry was what it was in 2007-2008. I can’t speak for who came to VX and their reasons. I can only speak for myself, and losing a base, facing a 2200nm commute, schedules that won’t touch east coast home overnights, going from a decent scheduling system to a crappy one, losing days off, less efficient trips, etc, for me ends up being a terrible deal. The payraise doesn’t make up for it. And put another way, if this wasn’t a terrible deal then would I be looking for employment elsewhere? Because as it stands I am looking to get out. I don’t think I’d say that for anything but a terrible deal. Maybe my wording should be it’s a terrible deal instead of a terrible place. Just my honest opinion. In the merger so far, the 117 east coast based pilots have lost the most. It is what it is.
I absolutely understand you JFK pilots are getting a raw deal out of the merger and I feel for you. As I’ve said, I’ve walked in those shoes. I do mean it when I’ve said I wish you the best in your job hunt. I agree we see the company through different glasses because of our different situations. However, those 175’s affect all of us. For every Bus that’s returned and the routes replaced by an RJ, those pilots will move onto the 737 and potentially bump those pilots down. If they don’t retain the busses or don’t replace them then 800 pilots integrate on the 737 and many schedules on both side become much worse. Believe me, this affects all of us. I still can’t justifiably call this a terrible place to work just because we are falling behind the other airlines. I can say it’s being poorly run at the moment and employee/management relations are in the toilet. I can say that if this downward trend continues it has the potential to become a terrible place to work but currently, the job itself and the people I work with are not terrible. Now don’t confuse that with complacency or being koolaid drunk, I’ll be there every step of the way to improve this place and make it worthy of the legacy title. Good luck to you Shy.
KnockKnock is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 AM
  #3410  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 325
Default

“Do you enjoy koolaid?”
“Could you survive and keep your head down to achieve the master plan in the Kingdom of North Korea?”
“Will you vow to bow to your dear leaders in angle lake.”
“Are you willing to sacrifice safety but live by the motto ready safe go?”
“Do you agree that the best way for us to grow is by outsourcing and buying larger aircraft to replace smaller aircraft?”
Originally Posted by denverpilot7
Tried the search function for my question but couldn't find anything. Any thought on what questions Alaska asks at job fairs?
Ala5ka is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vagabond
Hangar Talk
1
05-03-2011 05:44 PM
joel payne
Foreign
4
04-23-2009 01:38 PM
vagabond
Major
31
04-15-2009 08:51 AM
vagabond
Aviation Law
10
09-20-2008 12:50 PM
vagabond
Major
19
06-15-2007 06:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices