Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Old 02-02-2015, 08:42 PM
  #10311  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Talon1011's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Ex USAF, ex-ATA , currently Atlas Air 747 CA
Posts: 324
Default

Originally Posted by Columbusohio View Post
Visiting the world at Atlas seems like an awesome job. If you get ANC, does that mean you give up 2 of your off days to commute back and forth from the states?

Alaska IS in the states.
Talon1011 is offline  
Old 02-03-2015, 03:16 AM
  #10312  
Gets Weekends Off
 
KYTBRD's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2012
Position: MD-11
Posts: 245
Default

Originally Posted by Talon1011 View Post
Alaska IS in the states.
Alaska is but apparently according to customs Miami is not part of the US. We always have to clear customs when flying ANC-MIA. When asked about it they have no good reason. It truly is another country down there.
KYTBRD is offline  
Old 02-03-2015, 04:36 AM
  #10313  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Oct 2007
Posts: 94
Default

Originally Posted by KYTBRD View Post
We always have to clear customs when flying ANC-MIA. When asked about it they have no good reason. It truly is another country down there.
That is absurd. Has anyone simply refused? What are they going to do, not let you into the country you never left? Detain you? I'm curious.
Gnaw is offline  
Old 02-03-2015, 05:20 AM
  #10314  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2010
Posts: 548
Default

I have ferried empty ORD-MIA and the plane had been sitting in ORD more than a day. Still had to clear customs in MIA. I think they are just justifying the staffing level at the GAC North ramp Customs office.
Whale Driver is offline  
Old 02-03-2015, 06:18 AM
  #10315  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default

Originally Posted by Gnaw View Post
That is absurd. Has anyone simply refused? What are they going to do, not let you into the country you never left? Detain you? I'm curious.
I saw a Captain get really ****ed and threaten not to comply, but what are you really going to do? You're forced to go through customs twice!
Globemaster2827 is offline  
Old 02-03-2015, 08:44 AM
  #10316  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Speedbird2263's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A320 CA
Posts: 705
Default

Originally Posted by KYTBRD View Post
Alaska is but apparently according to customs Miami is not part of the US. We always have to clear customs when flying ANC-MIA. When asked about it they have no good reason. It truly is another country down there.
Just when I think I've heard it all. That is quite interesting. So I'm assuming if you came from Puerto Rico you'd have to do the same.

-2263
Speedbird2263 is offline  
Old 02-03-2015, 10:02 AM
  #10317  
Gets Weekends Off
 
atpcliff's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt
Posts: 3,215
Default

Visiting the world at Atlas seems like an awesome job. If you get ANC, does that mean you give up 2 of your off days to commute back and forth from the states?

I am also more than a little concerned about the starting pay.....40K to fly a 747? Why in the heck did any of us become pilots in the first place? Not judging because I made 10 bucks an hour to fly freight years ago BUT that was in a small piston airplane NOT a 747. I see the numbers on APC and second year doesnt seem like much of a bump, am I missing something?
Yes...it may take you several days to commute to/from ANC.
...
Another reason to get Worldwide Gateway Basing (no Pilot Bases...EVERYONE has a Gateway, and that Gateway is your BASE) in the next contract.

Starting pay is lower than normal everywhere. I think at US Airways it is still less than $30K the first year.
atpcliff is offline  
Old 02-03-2015, 10:04 AM
  #10318  
Gets Weekends Off
 
atpcliff's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt
Posts: 3,215
Default

For new-hires going forward, I would plan on going to the 767, which is $78.04/hr first year (50 hour min), and $83.94/hr second year (62 hour min, DOS+4).
The next? class (mid Feb) has 6-767 slots and 12-747 slots up for bid. Low SSNs have higher seniority...
atpcliff is offline  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:27 PM
  #10319  
Line Holder
 
flyboy8272's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: B-744/748 FO
Posts: 96
Default

I think they just compare the last 4 digits of your SSN.
flyboy8272 is offline  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:58 PM
  #10320  
Gets Weekends Off
 
BayBum4Ever's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: I will be in the right bunk.
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
Yes...it may take you several days to commute to/from ANC.
...
Another reason to get Worldwide Gateway Basing (no Pilot Bases...EVERYONE has a Gateway, and that Gateway is your BASE) in the next contract.

Starting pay is lower than normal everywhere. I think at US Airways it is still less than $30K the first year.
The company is in full attack mode with the pilots, just apply to Delta and American and avoid all this drama. You will never fly a 747 but you will retire with at least $1 million more in your 401K. I wish I had some friends ( at all ) in aviation who may have steered me in some other direction.
I,m just sayin

BayBum
BayBum4Ever is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
astropilot92571
Hiring News
6
05-15-2024 01:03 PM
AAL763
Atlas/Polar
112
12-10-2016 04:13 PM
ProceedOnCourse
Hiring News
23
08-16-2009 06:40 PM
cencal83406
Regional
17
02-03-2009 07:19 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices