Notices

jetBlue Hiring

Old 08-04-2014, 09:51 AM
  #2321  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2009
Position: Square root of the variance and average of the variation
Posts: 1,602
Default

Originally Posted by nuball5 View Post
I don't think it'll be an issue. I busted my CFI too, so I'm in the same boat. As long as you have a good track record at a pt.121/135 company, and it's been several years since that failure, I would hope JetBlue would be able to look past that one bad day you had back in CFI training.
I think many pilots have gotten a "gimme" or "mulligan" in lieu of a pink slip. I had the same examiner for Private, Instrument, and Commercial - The infamous Howard Fried of the Detroit FSDO (he used to write a column called "Eye of the Examiner" for Flying magazine and later "Eye of Experience" for Avweb. Also has a couple books out.)

We're doing the commercial oral before getting in a C172RG and he asks, "so how does the prop work?"

My 20 year old self responds, "Well, you push the knob forward and the prop goes faster. And if you pull it back it goes slower."

He retorts, "Yes, but how does it WORK?"

I give him the same answer, "Well, you push the knob forward and the prop goes faster. And if you pull it back it goes slower."

After three tries he finally says, "You don't know how it works mechanically do you?"

Me, "Don't have a clue."

I was enlightened on speeder springs, counter weights, and valves.

Definitely a gimme because Howard was notorious for sitting on his seat belt during takeoff and then asking the private applicant on the upwind if he should put it on. Followed by a return and a pink slip. He was a stickler for details. So much so that he'd bust instrument applicants if they forgot to bring a view limiting device.
Std Deviation is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 10:18 AM
  #2322  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,231
Default

Originally Posted by Std Deviation View Post
I think many pilots have gotten a "gimme" or "mulligan" in lieu of a pink slip. I had the same examiner for Private, Instrument, and Commercial - The infamous Howard Fried of the Detroit FSDO (he used to write a column called "Eye of the Examiner" for Flying magazine and later "Eye of Experience" for Avweb. Also has a couple books out.)

We're doing the commercial oral before getting in a C172RG and he asks, "so how does the prop work?"

My 20 year old self responds, "Well, you push the knob forward and the prop goes faster. And if you pull it back it goes slower."

He retorts, "Yes, but how does it WORK?"

I give him the same answer, "Well, you push the knob forward and the prop goes faster. And if you pull it back it goes slower."

After three tries he finally says, "You don't know how it works mechanically do you?"

Me, "Don't have a clue."

I was enlightened on speeder springs, counter weights, and valves.

Definitely a gimme because Howard was notorious for sitting on his seat belt during takeoff and then asking the private applicant on the upwind if he should put it on. Followed by a return and a pink slip. He was a stickler for details. So much so that he'd bust instrument applicants if they forgot to bring a view limiting device.
Sounds like a real a-hole.
rvr1800 is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 AM
  #2323  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2009
Position: Square root of the variance and average of the variation
Posts: 1,602
Default

Originally Posted by rvr1800 View Post
Sounds like a real a-hole.
The real a-hole is the examiner that failed three of my IFR students back to back within two weeks(on questionable busts I thought) and then called the FSDO to complain about me. I had a Gold Seal CFII and had 65 straight passes when I sent these applicants up.

My usual examiners were booked so I gave this guy a shot. The FSDO says (about me), "Oh yeah. That guy? He was just here for his single-engine ATP. We've got no issues." I only found out he complained from the FSDO, not from him.

Post script - one of those busts is now a Captain at JetBlue.
Std Deviation is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 10:32 AM
  #2324  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,206
Default jetBlue Hiring

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a pilot to know how a constant speed prop actually operates, especially if it's on a twin.

(Assuming you're doing a check ride in that airplane.)
Southerner is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 10:37 AM
  #2325  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2009
Position: Square root of the variance and average of the variation
Posts: 1,602
Default

Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a pilot to know how a constant speed prop actually operates, especially if it's on a twin.
I agree. I should have know and didn't and he allowed me to slide. It was a single engine though, but that doesn't matter. It's right there in the PTS. Had it gone the other way I'd be checking the "yes" box on "have you ever failed a check ride".
Std Deviation is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM
  #2326  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,206
Default

Originally Posted by Std Deviation View Post
Quote:





Originally Posted by Southerner


I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a pilot to know how a constant speed prop actually operates, especially if it's on a twin.




I agree. I should have know and didn't and he allowed me to slide. It was a single engine though, but that doesn't matter. It's right there in the PTS.
I like the DPEs that bust for big picture things. Not knowing the prop wouldn't be enough, but add that up with a few other things and it might be.
Southerner is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM
  #2327  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Flyby1206's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 320 CA
Posts: 4,836
Default

Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
What's the current reserve times running for BOS/JKF in different equipment?
August 2014 junior lineholder (around 2830 total pilots as of bid closing):
JFK 320 FO- #2674
JFK 190 FO- #2628
BOS 320 FO- #2668
BOS 190 FO- #2703

The E190 hiring will continue to slow. Maybe 2-4 per class if any at all. Getting the A320 will probably be the fastest way to holding a line in the near future, but who knows for sure.

Originally Posted by SUX4U View Post
Good info Flyby! I am curious about having to get LGB's approval for the E190 runs. Whats the hold up with that? So from someone who commutes from the West (50 minute flight to LGB), would they be insane to sit reserve for 3 years vs commute to a line in BOS/JKF? Thanks again for your continued support for us on the outside looking in.

Here is a good article discussing LGB slots and JetBlue:
Why Isn?t JetBlue Using All Its Slots in Long Beach? (Ask Cranky) | The Cranky Flier

I would definitely sit reserve in LGB for 3 years instead of commuting to the east coast!
Flyby1206 is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM
  #2328  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ysslah's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 88 Gunner
Posts: 512
Default

Can someone who currently works for JetBlue please email the people department and ask what's the deal with uploading documents and file names? I tried everything but no luck. It would suck if I submit an incomplete application due to IT issues.
ysslah is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:18 PM
  #2329  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Flyby1206's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 320 CA
Posts: 4,836
Default

Originally Posted by ysslah View Post
Can someone who currently works for JetBlue please email the people department and ask what's the deal with uploading documents and file names? I tried everything but no luck. It would suck if I submit an incomplete application due to IT issues.
Try a different internet browser: chrome, safari, firefox, etc. i think some guys had problems last time and that fixed it.
Flyby1206 is offline  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:19 PM
  #2330  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ysslah's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 88 Gunner
Posts: 512
Default

Originally Posted by Flyby1206 View Post
Try a different internet browser: chrome, safari, firefox, etc. i think some guys had problems last time and that fixed it.
Ok. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
ysslah is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Freight Dog
Hiring News
26
08-01-2016 01:48 PM
RiddleEagle18
Major
1
04-21-2011 07:13 AM
tone
Hiring News
139
05-16-2010 09:34 PM
tone
Hiring News
22
04-28-2010 05:20 AM
ryane946
Major
6
02-21-2007 04:17 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread