Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major
Spirit and ERAU contract deal >

Spirit and ERAU contract deal

Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Spirit and ERAU contract deal

Old 12-05-2007, 06:48 PM
  #51  
A moment please...
 
JetPiedmont's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: Just passin' thru
Posts: 764
Default

Originally Posted by iahflyr View Post
Aren't you the same guy who thinks you could be an astronaut with just a physics minor? Dream on dude. Most astronauts are military test pilots, or guys with PHD's in engineering. You must be one of the most brainwashed people I have ever come across. You are actually buying everything that ERAU tells you.

BTW, I agree with everyone else about the grammar. Concentrate on that first before trying to get hired at a major.

I noticed he spelled "colleagues" as "colleges", but looking back over his post that's all I see wrong. Maybe I'm not a very good proof reader, but what else did he get wrong? JP
JetPiedmont is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 08:57 PM
  #52  
Gets Weekends Off
 
MrSuupafly's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Posts: 172
Default

Originally Posted by JetPiedmont View Post
I noticed he spelled "colleagues" as "colleges", but looking back over his post that's all I see wrong. Maybe I'm not a very good proof reader, but what else did he get wrong? JP

Check out the gramm"er".




In reference to guys hired in the 60s at TWA. I personally know someone who got hired at 18, was a 727 Captain at 23 and a 707 Captain at 25.
MrSuupafly is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
  #53  
Gets Weekends Off
 
FliFast's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: I was acquired, Not Hired
Posts: 1,781
Default

Originally Posted by MrSuupafly View Post
Check out the gramm"er".




In reference to guys hired in the 60s at TWA. I personally know someone who got hired at 18, was a 727 Captain at 23 and a 707 Captain at 25.
I do too, and they had to wait till they turned 23 to upgrade because of the age limitation on (back-then) the ATR license-as opposed to todays' ATP.

In any event, back to the thread...I know there is alot of mockery of the Humpty Diddle Flying School because of their marketing slogans like..."Harvard of the Skies", and some other marketing sayings that have been posted. My question is, has anyone on here attended either an aviation university, vocation school, or FBO Part 141 school etc, that had a marketing slogan like....

Come to our school, our program sucks.
Our FBO has the highest washout rate, give us a try.
We'll make you a pilot, we'll make your checkbook a pudding pie
Our graduates are about as successful as screendoors on submarines

I can go on, but my point is do you expect a university to market to prospective enrollees with statements that are postive or use the ones I used above. In addition to the military route, there are many excellent civillian facillities to learn to fly. I can easily list a half dozen universities that provide exceptional instruction and I'd bet there are exponentially as many FBO/flying services that would fit the bill also.

The second half of my point is, to cloud this thread with "why we hate ERAU" takes away from the salient points of this proposal. Finally, if you'll allow me an opinionated question...why didn't UND, or FIT, or OSU, or the FBO at Monroe County just north of Toledo galvanize this contract before ERAU...maybe that silly "Harvard in the Skies" nonsense really works...

Just an opinion...don't let the facts get in the way.

FF
FliFast is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 04:01 AM
  #54  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: A320 PIC
Posts: 34
Default

That Spirits' DO/VP flt Op's is an ERAU graduate, may have something to do with it.
R1830toIAE2500 is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 05:01 AM
  #55  
Gets Weekends Off
 
alvrb211's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,044
Default

Originally Posted by nicholasblonde View Post
Seriously...if 10-15 kids at ERAU put their individual 100K together, they could buy a VLJ, hire a check airman, and run charters until they all had 1000 TPIC. At the end of the day it would involve less risk (i.e. no risk of being one of the 492/500 NOT selected to go to Spirit), be more fun, and probably make them better pilots (scary). Also they'd have a share of a jet at the end of the day, instead of the same FAA certificates for which everyone else paid a lot less.

Also, who is to say these 8 ERAUers didn't have close to the mins already? Maybe they weren't the typical ERAU grad (i.e. maybe they all already had lots of time from grandpa or daddy's plane).

I understand the euros do stuff like this all the time, but the US has plenty of qualified pilots who are much more qualified, and there is no need for this type of BS. I think the Spirit pilot group should do something about it.
The European ATPL and ab-initio programs like those at Easyjet are very different to the FAA ATP program. Just have a look at the 14 JAR ATPL theory books and training sylabus and you'll get an idea of how demanding it is.
Ab-initio guys in Europe have to jump through many hoops to complete their training to ATPL level. When training is completed in a seminole, it's followed by 42 hours of CRM training, a type ride and then "5 months of IOE" with a check airman. You would expect proficiency by then wouldn't you?


Remember.......there's a lot of kids flying RJ's in the US with 300 hours and a license from Billy Bob's FBO armed with little more than the knowledge gained from a Gleim FAA ATP book. Also, this is without any international ops or climatology study. These guys are flying jets in the US with no experience and little knowledge and that's a fact!

At least the pilots in Europe have put in some real study, passed VERY demading exams, and completed 5 months of IOE before being signed off!! Maybe it's time to establish a program similar to that of the EU.


I'm an ERAU guy flying a medium jet for a US major. I'm aware of how the ab-initio system works but I think it will remain a lot more stringent in Europe where it's well established.

Of course, the goal is to ensure that upon completion of training, pilot's are proficient.

AL

Last edited by alvrb211; 12-06-2007 at 05:14 AM.
alvrb211 is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 AM
  #56  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Out
Posts: 446
Default

Originally Posted by Clue32 View Post
First off, I am a Riddle Alum.

Sure, everyone at Riddle can't get the golden ticket, but the university leadership tells it's new and prospective students that is works with the industry to not only provide the best possible training but also to provide job opportunities.

This should be seen as a good news story for those that paid big bucks for a name. If you add in these 8 slots and a bridge program here and a paid internship there, before you know it a lot of Riddle students are getting some good industry exposure and amazing job options.

I'm not saying that you can not go to FIT, UND, Purdue, or your local FBO and pay a lot less for similar training and the same ratings. The individual needs to approach a program and evaluate what they are getting for the money. The biggest draw is if the individual is motivated by a program, feels confident they are getting what they are paying for, and sees that the university is making good on its recruiting ploys.
Ha ha!!!!
I went to riddle and graduated with 3.9 GPA not because I am a genius, but because the classes were beyond easy. The only hard thing about that useless school was the flight training and not because some people just can't fly but because most of riddle "check airman" were on a power trip. Most likely that type of behavior was a way to make the students feel like they are getting what they are paying for. I only failed one checkride in my life and that was with Bruno Vivaldi (I am sure you know who he is). He failed me for being 11 knots fast on my chandelle on my CFI ride(I did not even know that C172 has such an accurate gouge). I left riddle couple years ago and started instructing and I can tell you that none my students have ever failed their rides for something as stupid as that. So dream on and keep thinking that kind of BS make you a better pilot and that it is worth 150k. I work a regional and I can't tell people where I went to college because they will think that either an idiot a rich kid that thinks he is God's gift to aviation I used to believe the hype as well...

Last edited by Rascal; 12-07-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Rascal is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 AM
  #57  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Bri85's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Posts: 593
Default

Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Ha ha!!!!
I went to riddle and graduated with 3.9 GPA not because I am a genius, but because the classes were beyond easy. The only hard thing about that useless school was the flight training and not because some people just can't fly but because most of riddle "check airman" were on a power trip. Most likely that type of behavior was a way to make the students feel like they are getting what they are paying for. I only failed one checkride in my life and that was with Bruno Vivaldi (I am sure you know who he is). He failed me for being 11 knots fast on my chandelle on my CFI ride(I did not even know that C172 has such an accurate gouge). I left riddle couple years ago and started instructing and I can tell you that none my students have ever failed their rides for something as stupid as that. So dream on and keep thinking that kind of BS make you a better pilot and that it is worth 150k. I work a regional and I can't tell people where I went to college because they will think that either an idiot a rich kid that thinks he is God's gift to aviation I used to believe the hype as well...

Hey Vilvadi was a nice guy, did my multi check with him 2 years ago and he was pretty much straight forward under PTS. I heard he left for a sim instructor opening. But I understand your point with the check airman and the power trips I know about 4. I failed my Instrument Oral the first time because I was told I could plan out my xcountry 5 hours earlier- go about my day come back for the check oral and go over the planning, wx, and what would situations. Only to be told I failed because the data is not current.
Bri85 is offline  
Old 12-07-2007, 10:39 AM
  #58  
Gets Weekends Off
 
jet320's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: A319 320 321 LEFT GOOOOOD
Posts: 377
Default

I am totally shock!!!!!!!!! I have some college from ERAU 9500 TT+ 8500+ ON JET (B737 A320) flying all over the Americas and Asia, and I haven't been hired by a big Legacy, I can be sure now in the USA legacy airlines they are LOW TIME PILOTS flying BIG JETS, good for them!!!!!!!!!!!
jet320 is offline  
Old 12-08-2007, 08:56 AM
  #59  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 757/767
Posts: 889
Default

Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Ha ha!!!!
I went to riddle and graduated with 3.9 GPA not because I am a genius, but because the classes were beyond easy. The only hard thing about that useless school was the flight training and not because some people just can't fly but because most of riddle "check airman" were on a power trip. Most likely that type of behavior was a way to make the students feel like they are getting what they are paying for. I only failed one checkride in my life and that was with Bruno Vivaldi (I am sure you know who he is). He failed me for being 11 knots fast on my chandelle on my CFI ride(I did not even know that C172 has such an accurate gouge). I left riddle couple years ago and started instructing and I can tell you that none my students have ever failed their rides for something as stupid as that. So dream on and keep thinking that kind of BS make you a better pilot and that it is worth 150k. I work a regional and I can't tell people where I went to college because they will think that either an idiot a rich kid that thinks he is God's gift to aviation I used to believe the hype as well...
Be sure to recount this tale in your next airline interview. "Yes I have failed a checkride, but it wasn't because I exceeded the parameters of the PTS, which I did, it was because the check airman was a tool and on a power trip. He really should have let me try it again or let me slide on the PTS" That should go over real well. If you were as hot as your post seems to suggest you think you are you wouldn't have been close enough to the edge of the standard to allow the "tool" to call you on it. If you have a problem with failing a check ride after exceeding the standard then I have a real easy solution for you..... fly a better maneuver.
Deez340 is offline  
Old 12-08-2007, 09:27 AM
  #60  
Gear handle manipulator
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: B-737 First officer
Posts: 246
Default

Originally Posted by FliFast View Post
The second half of my point is, to cloud this thread with "why we hate ERAU" takes away from the salient points of this proposal. Finally, if you'll allow me an opinionated question...why didn't UND, or FIT, or OSU, or the FBO at Monroe County just north of Toledo galvanize this contract before ERAU...maybe that silly "Harvard in the Skies" nonsense really works...

Just an opinion...don't let the facts get in the way.

FF
...Because FIT doesn't have the kind of connects that ERAU does, plain and simple. Our teachers are always trying to "diss" 'Riddle' saying that FIT is so much better, I disagree. The truth is Riddle has MANY more connections and a bigger reputation with the airlines and the aviation community. This was very evident to me when I attended 'Riddle's' career fair a few months back. Every regional was there recruiting pilots, including a lot of major airlines and corporate companies. It basically made our career fair look like crap because I could count the number of regionals, airlines and other aviation companies that attended on 1 hand.

In my opinion FIT is light years away from being able to establish a deal like the ERAU - Spirit deal. It's great for the school (ERAU) to be able to market this to potential students. Now, is it a great idea to put these individuals into A319's and 320's? Only time will tell. But, at least they have the opportunity to do so. A lot of other schools don't have opportunities such as this.

Last edited by SmoothLanderJ; 12-08-2007 at 09:54 AM.
SmoothLanderJ is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
FNG1
Flight Schools and Training
12
12-08-2007 06:35 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread