Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 08:49 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018
Default Wheels Up Operators (Gama, DPJ, TMC)

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post
Sort answer, no.

Long answer, there is a slight chance you could be hired as a street captain with the right qualifications, but unlikely in this current environment. That would be the only way to be a PIC right away. Upgrades are limited right now because there is little to no attrition (they don't really publish this info so this is based on anecdotal evidence), but some are occuring. All the people I've heard of have been in the 12+ month range. I've heard from a few people that they hint at 6 month upgrades during hiring, and it could happen, but plan on 12+ months (even pre-covid).

Originally Posted by tothebigblue View Post
Thanks!

I keep oing back and fourth wondering if its for me or not. Whether i should wait at a chance that an LCC or cargo carrier calls, relly catch 22 with the trainign contract.

I upgraded about 3 months ago, I had just passed my 2 year mark. Part of that wait was because of total time limitations, but hdgbug is spot on here. Short answer is no, very unlikely that you’d get hired as a street captain now. They did do that up until covid started and hiring stopped, but not anymore. There’s just no need to take on a PIC salary burden with so many guys willing to take FO spots and allow natural progression. The only people that are getting hired directly into CA slots from the new hire classes I’ve seen are rehires who left on good terms. Nowadays even with good prior experience you’d be unlikely to upgrade in less then a year because there’s quite a few qualified guys who have been at the company 1-2 years who are still waiting for upgrade. Wheels up has slowed the process considerably since they bought Gama.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2019

WU Jets / Formerly DPJ hiring pool latest update is there is no new information. Still will be based on 'operational need' safe to assume no spring classes.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Wheels Up is hiring on the KA-350. A friend of mine is starting next week. No, I don't know how long it was when he put in his app. He is already typed on it though. Starting as a FO, and supposedly seat-locked for a year.

https://careers-wheelsup.icims.com/j...st-officer/job

Things on the Wheels Up Private Jets operating certificate is something entirely different and have no idea what is happening with that.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Diesel8 View Post
Wheels Up is hiring on the KA-350. A friend of mine is starting next week. No, I don't know how long it was when he put in his app. He is already typed on it though. Starting as a FO, and supposedly seat-locked for a year.

https://careers-wheelsup.icims.com/j...st-officer/job

Things on the Wheels Up Private Jets operating certificate is something entirely different and have no idea what is happening with that.
They do pass openings along to the Pool to apply to but often higher min's then some of us in the pool have plus require a relocation. It's great for those that can make it happen!
Old 03-04-2021, 12:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by stang View Post
They do pass openings along to the Pool to apply to but often higher min's then some of us in the pool have plus require a relocation. It's great for those that can make it happen!
I could be wrong on this but I’d be shocked if the hiring minimum for a Jet under ARG/WVYN where less than a KA350. It may appear the way you describe now because there is a surplus of pilots and WUP can be picky on who they hire and WUPjet is still advertising from preCovid days minimums. But two AA saw a UFO so I guess weirder things have happened. But the KA350 has newhire classes and WUPjet/DPJ does not.

Last edited by LLWS09R; 03-04-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by LLWS09R View Post
I could be wrong on this but I’d be shocked if the hiring minimum for a Jet under ARG/WVYN where less than a KA350. It may appear the way you describe now because there is a surplus of pilots and WUP can be picky on who they hire and WUPjet is still advertising from preCovid days minimums. But two AA saw a UFO so I guess weirder things have happened. But the KA350 has newhire classes and WUPjet/DPJ does not.
DPJ hired/cjo 1500hr+ pilots into the pool below the KA350 requirements last april as their certificate allowed for it and I am one of those. Pilots that could not be hired under Gama were and could be hired under DPJ. According to the recruiter we still have spots on the jet side as they have need. I have PT135 and PT121 time.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by stang View Post
DPJ hired/cjo 1500hr+ pilots into the pool below the KA350 requirements last april as their certificate allowed for it and I am one of those. Pilots that could not be hired under Gama were and could be hired under DPJ. According to the recruiter we still have spots on the jet side as they have need. I have PT135 and PT121 time.
Good luck with it then if I’m wrong. I know back in April before this CV-19 became a long term thing. Most companies only required a heart beat and license. Now there are estimates of close to 8-10K ATP qualified type rated aviators on the street. You may have a CJO but my former student has one of those from AA and he’s interviewing with Atlas. CJO only last for so long..... I’m not here to beat you up just don’t throw all the eggs into one basket. Look else where for employment if you meet regional or cargo minimums. If I’m wrong and they call you up for training then it’s better to decided with a paycheck which way to go then holding out for a pool that hasn’t had new info in months.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by LLWS09R View Post
Good luck with it then if I’m wrong. I know back in April before this CV-19 became a long term thing. Most companies only required a heart beat and license. Now there are estimates of close to 8-10K ATP qualified type rated aviators on the street. You may have a CJO but my former student has one of those from AA and he’s interviewing with Atlas. CJO only last for so long..... I’m not here to beat you up just don’t throw all the eggs into one basket. Look else where for employment if you meet regional or cargo minimums. If I’m wrong and they call you up for training then it’s better to decided with a paycheck which way to go then holding out for a pool that hasn’t had new info in months.
It's 2 separate certificates still. The KA350 / Gama side has the higher mins, WU Jets does not so appears those that don't meet the higher mins are still in the WU Jet pool. Appreciate the wisdom, not putting eggs in one basket and aviation is not my only gig. I sat out the lost years - so have that perspective. I am a product of the 90's training / university and went into business. Just sharing updates as we get them on the DPJ / WU Jet side of things. At this point with the merger / etc it would be a surprise to get a call. From contacts flying the line sounds like a bit overstaffed on the DPJ side of things.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:44 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2021

Well, the good news is I’ve been swimming in the DPJ pool long enough to perfect my backstroke, butterfly stroke and my freestyle. The bad news is that it’s been so long I think I might be turning into a fish...

I’m doing my best to remain patient as we all wait for good news from the company, and it seems like the industry as a whole is starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I would love to have an idea of what growth looks like right now. Stang mentioned being slightly overstaffed on the jets, and I’m wondering if there is enough demand now that there is at least some internal movement. Anyone have any insight on this?

At the end of the day, I’m so thankful to at least be in the pool, and I’m very excited about the opportunity to join this company. Just hope it’s sooner rather than later!
Old 05-04-2021, 09:46 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: P180 Captain

Conference call coming on Thursday. Might be some news from that? 🤔