Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Bearhawk23 11-12-2019 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2898127)
During the ACP FO portion, the pilot doesn't relocate. They live wherever and we fly them to their assignment (one of our high timed routes).
When they become a full BE99 Captain at 1,200 TT, the pilot will pick an available base. If they don't live near it, they will have to relocate.
We have a relocation assistance program. It's a set amount, so probably wouldn't cover all expenses, but it helps.

Hi FreightDogs!

As a CFI whose just gotten to that 500 hour mark could you elaborate what ACP stands for? I'd love to work for Ameriflight but was having a hard time with really considering it since I've got a family here in the PNW. But I did not know that FO's were flown to an assignment and then choose a base when there at Captain hours. You have now definitely reignited my interest a little bit haha!

frmrbuffdrvr 11-12-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bearhawk23 (Post 2922604)
Hi FreightDogs!

As a CFI whose just gotten to that 500 hour mark could you elaborate what ACP stands for? I'd love to work for Ameriflight but was having a hard time with really considering it since I've got a family here in the PNW. But I did not know that FO's were flown to an assignment and then choose a base when there at Captain hours. You have now definitely reignited my interest a little bit haha!

ACP stands for Accelorated Captain Program. It is where we hire pilots at about 800 hours total time and make them FOs in either the BE1900 or SA227 to get to 1000 hours (and the remaining part 135 IFR minimums.) Its during this time that we will TDY you to where you are flying.

Once you hit 1000 hours, you will train as a BE99 captain. You will be a Restricted IFR captain, meaning you can fly IFR, but your departure and arrival minimums will be higher than normal (close to VFR.) From here until you hit 1200 hours TT and become an unrestricted IFR captain we will still TDY you (probably to PHX where the weather is good.) Once you hit 1200, you would relocate to your permanent base and continue your career from there.

1alpha2 11-12-2019 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2922619)
ACP stands for Accelorated Captain Program. It is where we hire pilots at about 800 hours total time and make them FOs in either the BE1900 or SA227 to get to 1000 hours (and the remaining part 135 IFR minimums.) Its during this time that we will TDY you to where you are flying.

Once you hit 1000 hours, you will train as a BE99 captain. You will be a Restricted IFR captain, meaning you can fly IFR, but your departure and arrival minimums will be higher than normal (close to VFR.) From here until you hit 1200 hours TT and become an unrestricted IFR captain we will still TDY you (probably to PHX where the weather is good.) Once you hit 1200, you would relocate to your permanent base and continue your career from there.

I have a little over 400TT now, would it make sense to apply at 500 for an FO position (if there are openings around that time) or to wait it out and apply for the ACP. I'm currently doing aerial survey but have only been getting around 50 hours per month due to weather delays. However I don't have anywhere close to 500 xc for part 135 IFR captain minimums. Would you qualify at 800TT without this or would you need 800TT and 500XC? Thanks

Bearhawk23 11-12-2019 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2922619)

Thanks for that info appreciate it!

frmrbuffdrvr 11-13-2019 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1alpha2 (Post 2922631)
I have a little over 400TT now, would it make sense to apply at 500 for an FO position (if there are openings around that time) or to wait it out and apply for the ACP. I'm currently doing aerial survey but have only been getting around 50 hours per month due to weather delays. However I don't have anywhere close to 500 xc for part 135 IFR captain minimums. Would you qualify at 800TT without this or would you need 800TT and 500XC? Thanks

You would need a minimum of 300 XC at 800 TT. The reason is the plan would be to make you a restricted IFR captain at 1000TT. And while our exemption allows the total time to be reduced, the remaining 135 captain requirements (XC, Inst, Night) still need to be met to be a captain. So anything you are short at 800 would have to be acquired in the next 200 hours. Almost all of your flights would be point to point XC but you may not be able to get the required night or Inst in that time. So we look for those numbers when you are initially hired.

1alpha2 11-14-2019 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2922867)
You would need a minimum of 300 XC at 800 TT. The reason is the plan would be to make you a restricted IFR captain at 1000TT. And while our exemption allows the total time to be reduced, the remaining 135 captain requirements (XC, Inst, Night) still need to be met to be a captain. So anything you are short at 800 would have to be acquired in the next 200 hours. Almost all of your flights would be point to point XC but you may not be able to get the required night or Inst in that time. So we look for those numbers when you are initially hired.

Got it, currently I only have 180 xc, 40 night and about 65 instrument. (For the most part only getting day VFR at my current job) so I guess it would make sense to just come in as an FO if an opening comes up?

Seneca Pilot 11-14-2019 08:17 AM

I have captain flight times but have been out of aviation for ten years. I am current with BFR and IPC and have been flying a lot of simulator approaches so I am pretty proficient. What would my best plan of action be for getting hired at Ameriflight?

frmrbuffdrvr 11-14-2019 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 1alpha2 (Post 2923701)
Got it, currently I only have 180 xc, 40 night and about 65 instrument. (For the most part only getting day VFR at my current job) so I guess it would make sense to just come in as an FO if an opening comes up?

Are you counting all airport to airport XC or just the "over 50 miles?" Over 50 miles applies to certificates. For 135 qualification it is any time you take off from one airport and land at another. So if you fly from one airport, land at another one 10 miles away and then return, that would all count as XC for 135 qualification.

frmrbuffdrvr 11-14-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Seneca Pilot (Post 2923754)
I have captain flight times but have been out of aviation for ten years. I am current with BFR and IPC and have been flying a lot of simulator approaches so I am pretty proficient. What would my best plan of action be for getting hired at Ameriflight?

Apply. :D;)

I was in the same position when I came on. I had 3200 hours from my military flying but hadn't flown regularly for 9 years and literally hadn't touched the yoke of a plane in 5 years when I got the call for an interview.

Do what you can to refresh your currency (basic flying AND instrument procedures.) You will be expected to be instrument proficient when you show up.

1alpha2 11-14-2019 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2923801)
Are you counting all airport to airport XC or just the "over 50 miles?" Over 50 miles applies to certificates. For 135 qualification it is any time you take off from one airport and land at another. So if you fly from one airport, land at another one 10 miles away and then return, that would all count as XC for 135 qualification.

Yeah, that's my total point to point. I was an Air Tour Pilot as my first job, so I never landed at other airports. Now I'm doing Aerial Survey, so I again usually land at the same airport I take off from other then when I'm ferrying between projects (which is not much)