Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

FlightLife 07-16-2023 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BigKitten229180 (Post 3649938)
I would be coming in on my own. Debating on regionals or ameriflight I’ve always wanted to try cargo flying and check that off before I’m at an airline for the rest of my life but don’t want to miss the hiring wave. I’m also a cadet for a ULCC but has a long commitment that I don’t know if I’m willing to do so looking at other options. In terms of QOL I’m young and single so open to anything!

For what it’s worth, I chose 135 cargo with AMF over the regionals and I don’t regret it. Great experience. I’m at UPS now, but there’s other options after AMF. Cargo all the way for me.

cfii2007 07-17-2023 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by FlightLife (Post 3667321)
For what it’s worth, I chose 135 cargo with AMF over the regionals and I don’t regret it. Great experience. I’m at UPS now, but there’s other options after AMF. Cargo all the way for me.

Believe it or not, there are some of us who have no desire to fly with a regional airline and commute week in and week out.............

FlightLife 07-17-2023 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by cfii2007 (Post 3667815)
Believe it or not, there are some of us who have no desire to fly with a regional airline and commute week in and week out.............

Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. Skip the regionals.

Plabelover 07-17-2023 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by FlightLife (Post 3667881)
Yeah, that’s what I was getting at. Skip the regionals.

Is it a good place to work to build multi time and go to a ULCC or even a legacy after if I get hired with the minimum requirements?

cfii2007 07-18-2023 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Plabelover (Post 3667957)
Is it a good place to work to build multi time and go to a ULCC or even a legacy after if I get hired with the minimum requirements?

Not sure about a legacy, but pretty sure an ULCC would pick you up. AMF does have a good variety of airframes, so you could upgrade from one to the next, or work on the charter side if it fits your lifestyle.

Plabelover 07-18-2023 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by cfii2007 (Post 3668106)
Not sure about a legacy, but pretty sure an ULCC would pick you up. AMF does have a good variety of airframes, so you could upgrade from one to the next, or work on the charter side if it fits your lifestyle.

Thank you! do you mind if I ask if commuting is a possibility at AMF or should I be living in one of their bases. Thank you!

QRH Bingo 07-18-2023 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Plabelover (Post 3668179)
Thank you! do you mind if I ask if commuting is a possibility at AMF or should I be living in one of their bases. Thank you!

Commuting is not really possible, at least on their scheduled runs (I do not know how they work the charter side of things, but assuming as an FO, you will not be "home based"). You will need to live in base, or at least have a place to stay. Sure, you could attempt to go "home" on Saturday/Sunday, but you'll need to be back Monday. Different bases have different schedules but most runs are Mon-Fri with some Mon-Sat so there just is not enough time to make commuting home for the weekend viable.

Plabelover 07-18-2023 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo (Post 3668329)
Commuting is not really possible, at least on their scheduled runs (I do not know how they work the charter side of things, but assuming as an FO, you will not be "home based"). You will need to live in base, or at least have a place to stay. Sure, you could attempt to go "home" on Saturday/Sunday, but you'll need to be back Monday. Different bases have different schedules but most runs are Mon-Fri with some Mon-Sat so there just is not enough time to make commuting home for the weekend viable.

when you get hired are bases assigned to you or based on age?

cfii2007 07-18-2023 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Plabelover (Post 3668394)
when you get hired are bases assigned to you or based on age?

You apply for a certain airframe and base......others will open up over time.

I'm not sure what process they use if you are flying a BE99 run for example and want to bid a B1900 run.

CaptainJay 07-18-2023 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by cfii2007 (Post 3668518)
You apply for a certain airframe and base......others will open up over time.

I'm not sure what process they use if you are flying a BE99 run for example and want to bid a B1900 run.

They post a vacancy bid every so often and anyone can bid any base/equipment they can hold. AMF is not a commutable job, you must live in whatever base your run is. Most pilots (except the ESCS charter) work 5 days a week and the runs are out and backs. You can go TDY to other bases also from time to time.