Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Luv2Rotate 08-18-2010 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fly Boy Knight (Post 857385)
Gross First Year Pay:
-(40 units per week guaranteed @ $13.40 per unit) = $27,872 ($28,000 advertised)
-$27,872 / 26 weeks (biweekly paychecks = $1,072 Gross per paycheck

Take Home:
-Basic Health Ins package (~$50 per paycheck)
-Single Male with ALL legal deductions on W-4 form (no tax refund or taxes due in April)

*Biweekly Paycheck = $865.74 every payday like clockwork*

Extra units (flying more than your normal run) = 1.5 * block time OR 1* Clock time (which ever gives you more pay)

Yeah, after my furlough I made more on unemployment. :(

freightdog 08-18-2010 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate (Post 857416)
Yeah, after my furlough I made more on unemployment. :(

Yeah, but you still accepted the job. :)

Fly Boy Knight 08-18-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 857524)

Catch 22 Time!!!!

By taking the job, you are contributing to why this industry pays pilots so little and requires so much (training, responsibility, time commitment, etc.). It is quite simple why they do it when you take the free market approach..... BECAUSE THEY CAN and pilots will still keep coming.

By not taking the job, you are still unemployed thus, not building any flight time and probably losing whatever currency you had before. The longer you stay out of flying, the longer it is that you will likely remain out of flying. Not to mention the commercial pilot newbees who will jump at ANY pilot job (see below)

The problem in our industry that pilots (myself included) continuously complain about is the lack of pay and maltreatment toward the pilot community however, pilots (Getting a pilot job-itis overshadows the fact that the job is ABSOLUTE crap besides the flying) continue to flock to these excessively oppressive flying gigs for pennies.

"Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't"

Just my humble $0.02 observation

Luv2Rotate 08-18-2010 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by freightdog (Post 857524)

Well yes and no. AMF was the 1st gig. Great experience, great people and great schedule. then moved on to 121 (F'd) now corporate looking to get back into 121 since our schedule changed and pay decreased. :confused:
Unemployment was when I was between jobs coming out of 121 world. I'd love to go back to AMF! Only if pay were low-mid 30's starting.

SoCalSkip 08-18-2010 09:34 PM

Hey It beats Instructing right?

minitour 08-18-2010 09:47 PM

I don't know:
1) Why more people don't really enjoy being a flight instructor. I loved it and would love to go back to it full time to make a living. ...and
2) Why people that don't enjoy it will even do it. I'm sure that's just wonderful for their students.:rolleyes:

-mini

Fly Boy Knight 08-19-2010 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by minitour (Post 857818)
I don't know:
1) Why more people don't really enjoy being a flight instructor. I loved it and would love to go back to it full time to make a living. ...and
2) Why people that don't enjoy it will even do it. I'm sure that's just wonderful for their students.:rolleyes:

-mini

Lol the same reason those same pilots flock to low paying, crap QOL, maltreatment infused regional airline gigs. ("Get-a-real-flying-job" itis). The industry noticed this trend and decided to supply those types of jobs and, pilots needing to get into the industry somehow, enabled the industry to keep supplying these jobs by accepting the terms that went along with the cool flying.

They do it because the price of saying "NO!!!!!" comes at too high of a cost to pilots. "No," pretty much means surrendering your foothold in the industry to three or four other lower time pilots who would gladly do the job for free let alone get paid pennies for it. It really is a question of each person in the situation, "Will I stand up for what I really believe pilots should be paid and turn down the job or will I surrender to their terms and accept the job to get into the industry?"

Until enough of the pilot community is mistreated by the market place, the problem for us lower totem poll-ers will continue. I don't knock the airline industry for it, that's the free market economy (well, close to it anyways). I'd rather it this way then Nazi-Germany Style, at least we (we meaning the target market for their jobs {ie. pilots}) control the overall trend.

Fly Boy Knight 08-19-2010 01:53 PM

Slightly off topic, sorry guys!

TheFly 08-20-2010 03:53 PM

Amf is a nice company to work for. Someone in an earlier post asked "who is paying you to say that" regarding their training program.....well, it could be more organized, much more organized. None the less, not too bad.

Captaindelay 08-22-2010 10:34 AM

Where do Amflight pilots end up? After flying be99 for a year do they end up at Southwest like the company claims? I just want to know what is the next step from Amflight?