Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 05:58 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2016
Default Crash-Pad Availability

Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Commuting is doable but would 100% bite into your off-days. Even as an FO, right after training you get KCM and CASS privileges. UPS and Fedex make commuting more doable. However, at any base except for Billings you would need a crash-pad because you are back in base after each shift.
What about crash-pad availability if most bases are in the outstations out of the main cities?
Old 04-22-2021, 01:28 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2021

What's the current hiring situation at Cape Air?

I'm interested in the Caribbean bases. I have 3,000+ hours TT with lots of single engine turbine time but not enough multi. Would I get hired as an FO and then get put through upgrade training after 50 hours ME (ie 1 month). And what are the chances of getting a Caribbean base right off the bat?
Old 04-25-2021, 06:09 PM
On Reserve

Crashpad availability varies. Some places like Quincy, IL it isn't to bad because there is a college and is a larger-ish city. Places like Kirksville or Manistee are a lot tougher.

As a Captain the USVI seems to go very junior. San Juan is more senior but again this all changes each bid and as people move on to other companies.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Are people being hired at Cape with just the mins of 500 tt? Just wondering, reading this thread most people that are getting hired seem to have at least 1000 hrs or more.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:30 AM
On Reserve

If you are at the minimums I would apply but would not expect a call. A few have been hired with the mins but most had an insider connection to the company. It seems the backgrounds of most SIC's hired is around the 800-1000 hour mark.

Still, it never hurts to apply if you reach the minimums. Even for all the ups and downs I think Cape is a good place to gain expierence and the people you work with are enjoyable.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:42 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2021

Does anyone know what bases to expect to be open for FOs with July class dates? If no New England bases, how hard is it to get out East as a FO if you’re hired with low time?
Old 05-18-2021, 01:39 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Shattuck95 View Post
Does anyone know what bases to expect to be open for FOs with July class dates? If no New England bases, how hard is it to get out East as a FO if you’re hired with low time?
You won't know until the bid comes out. East coast is hard to come by because most new hires are being put into the Tecnam and getting seat-locked. If you are coming here and want Boston or Hyannis it is probably not going to happen. Realistically Manistee MI, Kirksville MO, and Quincy, IL continue to go to the lowest seniority because people do not want to be there. Truthfully with over 40+ crew bases it is very hard to find consistency if choosing Cape. Again, a good company with a lot of good qualities but the basing is really tough.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:50 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2019

second what Mandalorian is saying. the recent FO bid has bases in the Midwest like IRK, MBL, and UIN being assigned because they werent filled. Depending on the timeline of a few upcoming upgrades BIL may open up by July, but yeah the likelihood of getting BOS or HYA (just using these because they seem to be the most popular) as a new hire is essentially zero. The bases around it i.e. LEB, RUT, BHB are also pretty full with FOs who are 'in line' for BOS or HYA.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:39 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016
Default Base assignment

Does Cape Air expect you to relocate to the base if you are assigned or do they have the ability to allow the pilot to travel to the base? I am curious about the people who have family and they own a home and not have the ability to move at the start but could afford to rent an apartment with couple of other people?

Thanks for the information.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
Does Cape Air expect you to relocate to the base if you are assigned or do they have the ability to allow the pilot to travel to the base? I am curious about the people who have family and they own a home and not have the ability to move at the start but could afford to rent an apartment with couple of other people?

Thanks for the information.

They do expect you to relocate but all in all, they don’t care whether you do or not as long as you show up. We do have a commuter policy but it isn’t as strong as the 121 regionals. Most people in your case typically just get an apartment with someone and split the cost. Depending on where you live and what base you get, it’s more than doable if you are okay with 1-2 days at home per week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk