Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 10:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Originally Posted by maxconthrust View Post
For those in the know:

How is the transition training to the Tecnam coming along?

Will new hires be trained direct to the Tecnam or is it still the Cesnna?

How many Tecnams in the fleet now and when do you expect to complete the order?

Currently, all initial training is done in the 402 as it is still the majority of our fleet. I don’t think we are approved to use the Tecnam for initial training yet. I think we are close to 30 Tecnam’s at the moment. Still many improvements need to be made on Tecnam and Lycoming’s part. I bet orders will be fulfilled in the next 5-7 years if everything goes smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2021, 06:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Originally Posted by dapuckstopper15 View Post
Currently, all initial training is done in the 402 as it is still the majority of our fleet. I don’t think we are approved to use the Tecnam for initial training yet. I think we are close to 30 Tecnam’s at the moment. Still many improvements need to be made on Tecnam and Lycoming’s part. I bet orders will be fulfilled in the next 5-7 years if everything goes smoothly.
thanks for the update. what about the new hire class for each month? how many in a class? and is it true that there is enough applicants until the end of 2021? meaning no new interviews in the pipeline?
Old 07-19-2021, 06:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

thanks for the update. what about the new hire class for each month? how many in a class? and is it true that there is enough applicants until the end of 2021? meaning no new interviews in the pipeline?

There are 8-10 in a new hire class. I think they’re still rolling interviews because we are very short on pilots. Many are leaving and moving on. Summer is a hard time to trading because of fleet and pilot utilization is used towards the line instead of training. They get so bottlenecked. They can’t and won’t be able to keep up with the demand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2021, 07:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2019

so you think there will be interviews until the end of the year??
Old 08-03-2021, 05:46 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2021

so you think there will be interviews until the end of the year??
Interviews are rolling and will continue throughout the year. The company is losing all of it's captains and will be very short staffed very quickly. If you can afford FO pay and know you will be flying 402's and it's long days there is money to be made and valuable PIC time that counts as 121 Multi time. I would not come here only to break the contract as aviation is a small industry. Incentive shifts are being paid at 300.00 for each shift plus the applicable overtime and I have no doubt that amount will be raised next year.

Cape Air is 100% not for everyone but if you know what you are getting into there is worse places to be. The basing is still really tough with so many unknowns and the training department is overwhelmed. Initial training will easily take 2-3 months with short-staffing of instructors and summer season.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:06 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Interviews are rolling and will continue throughout the year. The company is losing all of it's captains and will be very short staffed very quickly. If you can afford FO pay and know you will be flying 402's and it's long days there is money to be made and valuable PIC time that counts as 121 Multi time. I would not come here only to break the contract as aviation is a small industry. Incentive shifts are being paid at 300.00 for each shift plus the applicable overtime and I have no doubt that amount will be raised next year.

Cape Air is 100% not for everyone but if you know what you are getting into there is worse places to be. The basing is still really tough with so many unknowns and the training department is overwhelmed. Initial training will easily take 2-3 months with short-staffing of instructors and summer season.
what the chance that cape air would call up for an interview? I put in for an application while back got an email saying thanks for applying but not hiring will keep resume on file. I am trying to get an opportunity to fly for someone that needing to filling FO spots. What are they really looking for in terms of making the resume to stand out for them to interview?

thanks
Old 08-04-2021, 10:28 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Gapilot View Post
what the chance that cape air would call up for an interview? I put in for an application while back got an email saying thanks for applying but not hiring will keep resume on file. I am trying to get an opportunity to fly for someone that needing to filling FO spots. What are they really looking for in terms of making the resume to stand out for them to interview?

thanks
Depends on a lot of factors. Checkride failures, total total time, degree, etc... It appears the company is looking for fo's more in the 800-1000 hour range so that they can upgrade before next summer.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019

So I understand FO pay to be around 30k/year. I know they pay by duty hour rather than flight hour. I'm wondering how many flight hours an FO can make with this company? If someone gets in with the minimum 500 hours, how long would it take that FO to build the 1500 to get to ATP and upgrade?
Old 08-04-2021, 08:46 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
So I understand FO pay to be around 30k/year. I know they pay by duty hour rather than flight hour. I'm wondering how many flight hours an FO can make with this company? If someone gets in with the minimum 500 hours, how long would it take that FO to build the 1500 to get to ATP and upgrade?
FO pay has been raised to 15 dollars an hour which helps. Most lines have 8-12 hours of OT built in especially on the EAS routes. Give about 2-3 months for initial training and an FO working a 4 on 4 off could get 90-100 hours of flight time a month in an EAS base. There can be more opportunities to work given the base so long as it is legal for no more than six days in a row and 34 in 7 regs.

Once at ATP mins then that training is another 1-2 months. PIC training at 1200 hours is another month at that. I'd say full-time working 1.5 years to go from 500 hours to full ATP Captain. Training department is wicked short staffed. Again, if you can make it work and know the contract after being an FO there is money to be made here for sure and the flying is fun. Don't be fooled though it is incredibly hard work and can be long days depending on the base.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
FO pay has been raised to 15 dollars an hour which helps. Most lines have 8-12 hours of OT built in especially on the EAS routes. Give about 2-3 months for initial training and an FO working a 4 on 4 off could get 90-100 hours of flight time a month in an EAS base. There can be more opportunities to work given the base so long as it is legal for no more than six days in a row and 34 in 7 regs.

Once at ATP mins then that training is another 1-2 months. PIC training at 1200 hours is another month at that. I'd say full-time working 1.5 years to go from 500 hours to full ATP Captain. Training department is wicked short staffed. Again, if you can make it work and know the contract after being an FO there is money to be made here for sure and the flying is fun. Don't be fooled though it is incredibly hard work and can be long days depending on the base.
8-12 hours of OT built in per week? Averaging a 50 hour work week at $15 an hour is $42,900. I understand there is some additional pay in per diem and for picking up shifts is that right?

As for "incredibly hard work" could you elaborate? I assume this is something more than just 50 hour work weeks. Does this involve loading/unloading cargo or passengers? Just curious as to what the opportunity looks like.