Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 06:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by maxconthrust View Post
I would stay where your are. some points to consider:
1. turbine time will always be better than piston time.
2. jet time will always be better than turbine time.
3. better to have jet PIC or SIC before going to the Majors.
4. get your ATP on your own if the company won't pay for it. invest in yourself.
5. there is no rush to go to the majors since it is still a pilot's market.

Buying out your contract does not make sense and then downgrade to a piston that is 30 plus year old.
there absolutely is a rush to get to the majors. They are hiring 2000 pilots a year. That’s a major hit in seniority for the rest of your career.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:19 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2021

Originally Posted by maxconthrust View Post
I would stay where your are. some points to consider:
1. turbine time will always be better than piston time.
2. jet time will always be better than turbine time.
3. better to have jet PIC or SIC before going to the Majors.
4. get your ATP on your own if the company won't pay for it. invest in yourself.
5. there is no rush to go to the majors since it is still a pilot's market.

Buying out your contract does not make sense and then downgrade to a piston that is 30 plus year old.

Moving over to Cape Air and abandoning your access to turbine time to me doesn’t make as much sense as keeping your current gig and picking up some piston work or other flying on the side (CFI work, pipeline, other charter work etc.) Assuming that’s not forbidden by your current employer? You’re not likely to do much better than 250 hours in 8 months as a reserve FO in todays regional market with the captain shortage issue. I’d probably stay where you’re at, pick up some flying on the side if you can, get to ATP mins (pay for CTP if necessary) and try to get to a LCC/Major. Having some turbine time and atp mins should make you a likely hire at a LCC these days. The captain shortage at the LCCs is not as much of an issue as the regionals, so you’ll fly a fair amount as an FO at a LCC. Hang out there and keep your app updated at Delta if that’s where you ultimately want to go. In the meantime, LCC life and pay is pretty good compared to regional life. If hiring stops, being “stuck” at an LCC is not a bad place to be at all. Much better than being “stuck” at a regional. If your dream gig was the fastest path to FedEX or UPS where the requisite 121 PIC time still holds, the Cape Air to DEC at Republic argument would maybe have more merit. I work at a LCC and know several FOs with zero TPIC that have moved over to Delta.

Just one guy’s opinion. Good luck either way.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:24 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by Miko View Post
Moving over to Cape Air and abandoning your access to turbine time to me doesn’t make as much sense as keeping your current gig and picking up some piston work or other flying on the side (CFI work, pipeline, other charter work etc.) Assuming that’s not forbidden by your current employer? You’re not likely to do much better than 250 hours in 8 months as a reserve FO in todays regional market with the captain shortage issue. I’d probably stay where you’re at, pick up some flying on the side if you can, get to ATP mins (pay for CTP if necessary) and try to get to a LCC/Major. Having some turbine time and atp mins should make you a likely hire at a LCC these days. The captain shortage at the LCCs is not as much of an issue as the regionals, so you’ll fly a fair amount as an FO at a LCC. Hang out there and keep your app updated at Delta if that’s where you ultimately want to go. In the meantime, LCC life and pay is pretty good compared to regional life. If hiring stops, being “stuck” at an LCC is not a bad place to be at all. Much better than being “stuck” at a regional. If your dream gig was the fastest path to FedEX or UPS where the requisite 121 PIC time still holds, the Cape Air to DEC at Republic argument would maybe have more merit. I work at a LCC and know several FOs with zero TPIC that have moved over to Delta.

Good advice. If you are really looking for quality time avoid Cape Air. While you do get good experience flying in an airline environment there, racking up time in a 40(+) year old piston twin is not going to get you a leg up at the major carriers. Unless they change course and start flying turbine aircraft, your pretty much spinning your wheels at Cape Air.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:57 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2022
Default Thank You!

All,

Thank you for the great replies and advice!

So my plan is to tough it out through my contract at the current company and hopefully flying picks up in a couple months. I have booked my CTP course in May. I already have ATP mins (1700hrs TT) for those of you wondering. I have flying jobs on my off time and will be trying to do as much as possible.

I actually have my applications in at all LCC’s but can’t get my application picked up. I think getting the CTP course done will do it. No red flags/incidents or check fails.

If I can do 4-500hrs per year with the current company, is it even worth leaving? I’ve heard you won’t fly much at an LLC starting out?
Old 02-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2022

Originally Posted by Miko View Post

Thank you for the great advice! Would you recommend an FO position at an LLC today or are FO’s not flying very much? I’d like to move to 121 and I’d feel a bit more secure at LLC. I personally don’t like 135 but some people do and that’s fine. I’m happy I tried it but I think I’d enjoy 121 much more.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:45 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Default Retired 121 Pilot

Any news about STL domicile/flying?
Old 03-24-2023, 10:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Position: along for the ride

Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Any news about STL domicile/flying?
cape is about to lose all their routes out of STL unless DOT goes against one of the recommendations by the communities who asked to switch to contour.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2023
Position: None

I just got the following e-mail response from Republic after publishing my AirlineApps to them:

Subject: Republic Airways Pathway Opportunity

"Thank you for your application and continued interest in the First Officer position! At this time we are still not scheduling FO interviews, unless you have 500 hours of upgradeable time. We recently rolled out a new Pathway Program to build 135 PIC time through Cape Air. This new program was designed to get you to the right seat of one of our Embraer 175s within seven months. If you qualify for an unrestricted ATP you may be able eligible to start as a Captain at Cape Air, where you will start building your time towards 121 upgrade. Once you hit 700 hours of 135 PIC time at Cape Air you will be eligible to choose an upcoming class date with Republic Airways."

FWIW.....
Old 04-01-2023, 06:54 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2021

I’ve got a phone call from a republic recruiter. If you currently have a CFI or other job, it is not worth it to go Cape Air. Eventually, regionals will start to hire FOs.

I heard many foreign pilots apply Cape Air cos they are the only airline company sponsor greencard.

Originally Posted by BStill View Post
I just got the following e-mail response from Republic after publishing my AirlineApps to them:

Subject: Republic Airways Pathway Opportunity

"Thank you for your application and continued interest in the First Officer position! At this time we are still not scheduling FO interviews, unless you have 500 hours of upgradeable time. We recently rolled out a new Pathway Program to build 135 PIC time through Cape Air. This new program was designed to get you to the right seat of one of our Embraer 175s within seven months. If you qualify for an unrestricted ATP you may be able eligible to start as a Captain at Cape Air, where you will start building your time towards 121 upgrade. Once you hit 700 hours of 135 PIC time at Cape Air you will be eligible to choose an upcoming class date with Republic Airways."

FWIW.....
Old 04-01-2023, 10:36 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2021
Post Does turbine time matter?

I already have ATP minimums. Still no one is hiring right now. So I am thinking about going to Cape Air. I know pay is not good and base is also not great either. Still I can build 135 time and pathway program to Spirit once I reach 3000 hrs.

Still, many people told me it's gonna be a bad decision and waste time cos I cannot build turbine time.

Beside Spirit, any major/ULLC or Fractionals(netjets, flexjet) would care turbine time?