Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Working at Delta Private Jets

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Hoping for any position

Originally Posted by GolfKilo View Post
Just had a "new candidate" tele-conference with the D.O. couple weeks ago describing life at DPJ. Basically you are assigned to one aircraft that has a 4 person crew, 2 capt's & 2 F/O's. They don't hire capt's off the street anymore, which means no matter how much time or experience you have you start out as an F/O/ for $36,000/yr. You have to work out your work schedule and time off with your counterpart. No telling if or when you may upgrade. Company life & health insurance, but wasn't great. In fact, the D.O. is retired FBI and he uses his gov't health insurance retirement benefits. Have to sign a training contract every time you go for recurrent. This lasts for 4 years. Segrave basically runs the show since they own the certificate after the merger. One thing that was mentioned was that if the aircraft does go away, the crews are not laid off but re-assigned to another one as need arises, which could mean another type rating if required. May be a good deal for kids just starting out or folks desperate for a job. Guys interested were to shoot them an email and would be brought to CVG for an interview. The whole tele-conference just left a "bad taste" in my mouth and I declined. Just scratching the surface on what was covered but kind of tuned out halfway through.
All FOs startout at $36k, no matter the airframe?
Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: I will be in the right bunk.

How many times do I have to say
Run Away
DPJ is a joke and you will curse the day you sign that 4 year contract
I escaped, others were not so fortunate.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: LJ60 part 135
Default Delta Private Jets

Is the pay and hours worked really that bad?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Citation

I've been talking to DPJ as well. I can vouch for the details provided by others and add a few:

SIC base salary is $36K. PIC base is $61K for super midsize. If the aircraft flies more than 60 hours per month, incentive pay kicks in. FOs get $60 per hour above 60 and PICs get $90. The incentive pay encourages flying broken jets and flying them as slowly as possible.

They typically have annual increases, but I was told that there was a pay freeze this year. They hope to reinstate the raises next year.

They seem to hire for specific airframes. I've been told that if you go to CVG, you've pretty much got the job. An open question is whether you should want it.

From the people I've talked to, the people there are good. Management is a problem (see comments about Segrave above). Pay is not good. You work a lot. From what I've heard, you aren't home long enough to use flight benefits. Training is on days off. You get two weeks vacation, but with only 4 pilots per plane the other guys have to cover you when you are off and vice versa.

There is no defined rest period. They use a rolling 10 hour rest. There is no standby (FBO reserve). I've also been told that training (Simcom) is quick and that the crews have a seat-of-the-pants, cowboy style. Airline flying, or even standardized flying, this ain't.

There are four training contracts for the first four recurrents. Each contract is nine months and pro-rata. Upgrades/transitions incur a one year contract.

Another word of caution, I was also told that there is a zero tolerance alcohol policy. Guys have supposedly can be and have been fired for ANY amount of alcohol detected in a random. Don't take cough medicine on tour, I guess.

The universal view of everybody I talked to is that this is not a place to be if you have any other options.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: 75CA

It appears they are hiring again, same wording in the ad on bizjet. I wonder how busy they have been and what ever happened to all the Hawker 1000's they were operating when Segrave had their sub group Peagus.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Is Nelson M. still part of the operation?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2010

How bent is DPJ on having a type rating in the aircraft they operate? I dont have any bizjet types and do not plan on paying for one.

TIA.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:45 AM
I have shiny jet syndrome

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: ELACS, FACs and SECs. Who doesn't love 'em?

Is the ex-FBI Chief Pilot EW still there?

I interviewed there about 4 years ago or so and declined the job offer. EW went crazy on me saying and called me twice to harass me basically telling me I had better hope we never cross paths again and that I had somehow embarrassed him for turning down the job.

If he was being that much of a tool towards me for turning down the job, I can only imagine how crappy he is to work for.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Yup, he's still there...
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2010

dhc8fo

Can you answer my question about type ratings?^^^^^^^^