Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by Sorrow09 View Post
How's it look for street captains? I currently fly for a 135 EAS operation in the 208 out of STL. What would I need to be competitive? I'm still an FO but will be upgrading in the next couple of months. Really interested in Dallas but would consider other bases. I'm also an older (35) guy that would probably just stay at this point. Quality of life is a big deal to me.
Dallas is stacked on captains right now. I hear we may have some new routes coming up though which means they would maybe take street captains there if FOs don't upgrade. They'll want to send you to DEN first I bet.

Last edited by OkStateBryan; 07-20-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by OkStateBryan View Post
Dallas is stacked on captains right now. I hear we may have some new routes coming up though which means they would maybe take street captains there if FOs don't upgrade. They'll want to send you to DEN first I bet.
Yeah, DEN would probably be your best bet for a street captain slot. We should have a fair amount of FOs upgrading here soon though
Old 07-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: The Best Coast

Does boutique allow jumpseaters?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:10 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2016
Default Any advice?

I was recently offered an FO job in DFW and I'm having a really hard time making the decision to take it or not. I'm sitting on 1050TT and would like to ultimately take the regional to major path. Right now I have a pretty cushy gig, but I'm only making 40 hours/month max working 4 days a week. So the question is: Take the job and settle in to a full year at boutique and take a 50% pay cut until I can upgrade to captain, or ride it out in my current comfortable govt contractor job?

Any DFW guys willing to chime in? I have only been in my current job for about 4 months, but I'm antsy to get out of the training environment and into a more complex airplane.

Thanks to anyone who responds and if anyone wants to PM and possibly talk on the phone that would be great.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by bcrame01 View Post
I was recently offered an FO job in DFW and I'm having a really hard time making the decision to take it or not. I'm sitting on 1050TT and would like to ultimately take the regional to major path. Right now I have a pretty cushy gig, but I'm only making 40 hours/month max working 4 days a week. So the question is: Take the job and settle in to a full year at boutique and take a 50% pay cut until I can upgrade to captain, or ride it out in my current comfortable govt contractor job?

Any DFW guys willing to chime in? I have only been in my current job for about 4 months, but I'm antsy to get out of the training environment and into a more complex airplane.

Thanks to anyone who responds and if anyone wants to PM and possibly talk on the phone that would be great.

I'm pretty confident you would be able to upgrade in DFW during your time. If you're trying to head to the regionals, be aware of the training contract that lasts for 12 months from your check ride date.

However, several regional airlines are now offering to help you pay out of the contract and/or give you a hefty signing bonus for being a Part 135 pilot
Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Danger Close View Post
Does boutique allow jumpseaters?
Yup. Show your crew badge at the counter. I've had a few airline pilots sitting in the back.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: Leaning Right, Left, Right

Originally Posted by bcrame01 View Post

You're going to qualify to upgrade rather quickly, so taking a monetary hit will be short-lived. THE PC-12 is a great transitional aircraft if you're looking to move on to a regional. You will thank yourself while in training at a regional when you notice others struggling. Being comfortable is not necessarily a good thing.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:00 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Originally Posted by Lohasse View Post
Any thoughts on Boutique as a "first stop-last stop" career change? I could see this type of flying working well as a 10-12 year countdown to the "big green pasture" of retirement. I have the ratings and a bit over 320 hours of flight time; mostly garnered in focused 141 training, and most of it not very current. Obviously this path would require some near-term sacrifice and training, (to even try) not to mention some moderately painful mid-term income realignment if it were to be a "go". I may be nuts, or just overly optimistic, so looking for different points of view. I appreciate your time and the information you all have posted thus far.
Maybe I can ask this in a different way. Are you folks on a continuing growth track that may continue to support "lower" time FO's? Given all I've read here it appears to me Boutique is not a bad place to work and quite possibly worth the effort and realignment to give it a go. Are there any number of "older" pilots there making a run at retirement, or is it almost strictly folks looking to upgrade and leave? Again, your input and perspective is appreciated.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:52 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2016

Hey guys, I'm looking to get the X-plane file for the PC-12 but want to make sure it's the same one you're flying. What variant would be the closest match?
Old 07-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by FlyingFlanagan View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking to get the X-plane file for the PC-12 but want to make sure it's the same one you're flying. What variant would be the closest match?
PC-12 45/47 Legacy.