Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Old 11-14-2016, 05:39 PM
  #15091  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2014
Posts: 150
Default

Originally Posted by Globemaster2827 View Post
Absolutely. Management loves resumes like that because it makes it tough for you to leave once they train you. Upgrade time will probably be short though if you're hired in the next 6 months.
Upgrade time is what RJ pilots and time builders focus their lives on - at this level, relax and get the best quality of life you can get. Rushing to upgrade can be a poor move in so many ways. There really isn't any need for it, maybe money motivates some people, but I focus on The best lifestyle available.
WacoQCF is offline  
Old 11-14-2016, 06:18 PM
  #15092  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captainv's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Knuckle-dragging line pilot
Posts: 943
Default

Originally Posted by Mr Rumbold View Post
How so?
I can see someone coming from single pilot part 91 having a hard time. But jet time part 135? Isn't the crew concept, etc pretty close?
Some new people have been struggling lately, and not just the category you suggested (people from EFIS, crew, airline backgrounds). Training (both company and union side) has been good about giving people extra time, but some have left when they still couldn't meet the standard. Training wants people to succeed and will help out when needed, but the program as a whole isn't designed to fill gaps in your background, and they only have so much time to try and correct it. Lots of people struggle with some aspect of training. Most overcome and do just fine once they get some time out on line. Some find an obstacle they can't surmount, and it just doesn't work out.
captainv is offline  
Old 11-14-2016, 07:14 PM
  #15093  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2015
Posts: 435
Default

Originally Posted by captainv View Post
Some new people have been struggling lately, and not just the category you suggested (people from EFIS, crew, airline backgrounds). Training (both company and union side) has been good about giving people extra time, but some have left when they still couldn't meet the standard. Training wants people to succeed and will help out when needed, but the program as a whole isn't designed to fill gaps in your background, and they only have so much time to try and correct it. Lots of people struggle with some aspect of training. Most overcome and do just fine once they get some time out on line. Some find an obstacle they can't surmount, and it just doesn't work out.
Any way to expand and give examples?
Approaches? (Visual approaches?)
Procedures?
Hand-flying?
Running QRH?
Sim sessions?


I guess I'm curious because I know they hire relatively low-time regional FOs (of which I am one) and I don't want to be in over my head.
Mr Rumbold is offline  
Old 11-14-2016, 08:22 PM
  #15094  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Posts: 84
Default

Originally Posted by WacoQCF View Post
Upgrade time is what RJ pilots and time builders focus their lives on - at this level, relax and get the best quality of life you can get. Rushing to upgrade can be a poor move in so many ways. There really isn't any need for it, maybe money motivates some people, but I focus on The best lifestyle available.
At a real airline I would agree, however the unfortunate reality at Atlas is seniority means nothing, truly nothing. At this level the best advice is to pass on Atlas or enjoy a quality of life standard of 17 days of work plus two, possibly more travel days for marginal pay regardless of your seat or seniority.
5Ypilot is offline  
Old 11-15-2016, 04:09 AM
  #15095  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captainv's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Knuckle-dragging line pilot
Posts: 943
Default

Originally Posted by Mr Rumbold View Post
Any way to expand and give examples?
Approaches? (Visual approaches?)
Procedures?
Hand-flying?
Running QRH?
Sim sessions?


I guess I'm curious because I know they hire relatively low-time regional FOs (of which I am one) and I don't want to be in over my head.
Depends on the student. Attitude problems are probably the biggest red flag. Lots of students struggle in one way or another, myself included, but how you react to it has a huge influence on whether or not you'll be successful. If you're combative, shift blame to others or are unwilling to ask for help, it'll be difficult to get through. But occasionally we have students with fantastic attitudes who get extra training but it just doesn't come together. The Oral is more of an issue on the 747 side, they're a little more old school and want you to know the nuts and bolts of the airplane more. The simulator footprints are similar - we don't have AQP so it's the maneuvers-based check ride with the requisite demos during sims. If you don't have jet time, EFIS time or FMC time, that can be a challenge. They typically ask early on to ID someone who might need a little help. A guy in my 747 class had zero EFIS experience but made it through fine.
captainv is offline  
Old 11-15-2016, 06:19 AM
  #15096  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2016
Posts: 182
Default

Tried the search, read this thread (all of it) and can't find any recent interview gouge.
Anyone care to share what the day consists of?
Falcondrivr is offline  
Old 11-15-2016, 06:26 AM
  #15097  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Default

Has anyone been hired recently without attending a job fair? I have been updating my app for the past 5 months, have 5 internal recs, 9000 tt, 4500 t-pic, international experience, and acmi experience and I can't seem to get the nod.

I would be willing to attend a job fair but I am currently working on contract in Asia and have been unable to coordinate my time off with a job fair.

Any suggestions?
gypsypilot is offline  
Old 11-16-2016, 07:03 AM
  #15098  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default

Originally Posted by WacoQCF View Post
Upgrade time is what RJ pilots and time builders focus their lives on - at this level, relax and get the best quality of life you can get. Rushing to upgrade can be a poor move in so many ways. There really isn't any need for it, maybe money motivates some people, but I focus on The best lifestyle available.
I agree with that but you need to consider that the difference in quality of life between the #1 FO in CVG and the guy who's 3/4th the way down the list in CVG is that the #1 FO gets Thanksgiving and Christmas off. That's it. Seniority does so much less at Atlas than other airlines. This is why so many take the upgrade immediately here. If I'm gonna have my schedule destroyed every month then I might as well get paid more money for it...
Globemaster2827 is offline  
Old 11-16-2016, 09:21 AM
  #15099  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Posts: 666
Default

Originally Posted by gypsypilot View Post
Has anyone been hired recently without attending a job fair? I have been updating my app for the past 5 months, have 5 internal recs, 9000 tt, 4500 t-pic, international experience, and acmi experience and I can't seem to get the nod.

I would be willing to attend a job fair but I am currently working on contract in Asia and have been unable to coordinate my time off with a job fair.

Any suggestions?
I am almost certain that the only reason that I finally got the interview process started, after 2.5 years of applying, was attending a job fair. But, then again, most of the other 11 guys in my class got there without attending one. Just my experience.
RyeMex is offline  
Old 11-17-2016, 04:35 AM
  #15100  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2015
Posts: 48
Default

Did Atlas ever had guys that came from Ameriflight?
Filipinoflyer is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
astropilot92571
Hiring News
6
05-15-2024 01:03 PM
AAL763
Atlas/Polar
112
12-10-2016 04:13 PM
ProceedOnCourse
Hiring News
23
08-16-2009 06:40 PM
cencal83406
Regional
17
02-03-2009 07:19 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices