Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 AM
  #5041  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Former AF and ANG, 747-400 FO, 767 CA
Posts: 65
Default

Originally Posted by JonnyKnoxville View Post
Rough crowd, sorry for wasting space. However, this information has everything to do with hiring, if not at Atlas, with our competitors.


No. Most of it was a waste of space. Minutia. Trust me. THEY DON"T ASK YOU ABOUT THIS CRAP IN THE INTERVIEW !!! It is bean counter info. Enjoy being a pilot, not an analyst of this crap and don't feel like you need to know this for the interview. YOU DONT!!!!!!!
JT400 is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 AM
  #5042  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: What day is it?
Posts: 963
Default

Originally Posted by JT400 View Post
No. Most of it was a waste of space. Minutia. Trust me. THEY DON"T ASK YOU ABOUT THIS CRAP IN THE INTERVIEW !!! It is bean counter info. Enjoy being a pilot, not an analyst of this crap and don't feel like you need to know this for the interview. YOU DONT!!!!!!!
Lighten up.
ATCsaidDoWhat is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 AM
  #5043  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2009
Posts: 611
Default

Originally Posted by JT400 View Post
No. Most of it was a waste of space. Minutia. Trust me. THEY DON"T ASK YOU ABOUT THIS CRAP IN THE INTERVIEW !!! It is bean counter info. Enjoy being a pilot, not an analyst of this crap and don't feel like you need to know this for the interview. YOU DONT!!!!!!!
John:

If you are not interested in the business-side of how Atlas makes money then just skip reading the article. I did not force you to read it and I did not take money out of your paycheck to post it.

There are others on this forum that see the bigger business picture and care about more than just flying their shiny jet. You may think that lift and thrust make an airplane fly, but you would be wrong. It is money, everytime.

I sure hope Atlas continues to make the profits they have been in this challenging business environment so we can keep the flying jobs we have.
JonnyKnoxville is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM
  #5044  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captainv's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Knuckle-dragging line pilot
Posts: 943
Default

Originally Posted by JT400 View Post
No. Most of it was a waste of space. Minutia. Trust me. THEY DON"T ASK YOU ABOUT THIS CRAP IN THE INTERVIEW !!! It is bean counter info. Enjoy being a pilot, not an analyst of this crap and don't feel like you need to know this for the interview. YOU DONT!!!!!!!
True, they won't ask about it in the interview. But when asked "do you have any questions for us?", a savvy applicant would be wise to have something better than "How long till I upgrade?"

Skip the article if it's boring. But keeping tabs on the industry is a great idea. This thread has a tendency to become an echo chamber, so a dose of realism now and then is good for us as well. Lots of us have come from other airlines that thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread, and they were - for a while. The problem: how long is a while?
captainv is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 PM
  #5045  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GIANT PILOT's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: UPS 767 Gear & Flap Operator
Posts: 271
Default

We got some new guys, who know it all.
GIANT PILOT is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 PM
  #5046  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: 747 F/O
Posts: 172
Default

We talked a bunch about the business side of Atlas in my interview. Most of it was brought up myself. They spoke about the futures of both CMI/ACMI and what Atlas was doing to diversify. They also spoke about the lucrative passenger charter business. Types and length of contracts and longtime Atlas partnerships. I think the business side of Atlas was a very important thing to know for the interview. Why Atlas is their favorite question.
chip1 is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM
  #5047  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Airplane
Posts: 2,385
Default

Originally Posted by chip1 View Post
We talked a bunch about the business side of Atlas in my interview. Most of it was brought up myself. They spoke about the futures of both CMI/ACMI and what Atlas was doing to diversify. They also spoke about the lucrative passenger charter business. Types and length of contracts and longtime Atlas partnerships. I think the business side of Atlas was a very important thing to know for the interview. Why Atlas is their favorite question.
Very good to know. If I were to actually get called for an interview, this is good stuff to hear about.
Lobaeux is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 PM
  #5048  
Line Holder
 
HeavyHauler's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: Certified 747 FNG
Posts: 64
Default

I totally agree with what chip1 said, that it reflects my interview as well. Saying, "I wanna' fly a whale" probably won't sound quite as impressive as if you can act like you've done some homework on the company and show that you understand what Atlas is really all about, and what they are doing to secure their place in the market for the long haul.

Listen to what captainv says, we all go to a big airline hoping that if things work out, we'll retire there. It doesn't always happen, and understanding the markets will help immeasurably in planning for your long haul.
HeavyHauler is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:31 PM
  #5049  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,134
Default

Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
I totally agree with what chip1 said, that it reflects my interview as well. Saying, "I wanna' fly a whale" probably won't sound quite as impressive as if you can act like you've done some homework on the company and show that you understand what Atlas is really all about, and what they are doing to secure their place in the market for the long haul.

Listen to what captainv says, we all go to a big airline hoping that if things work out, we'll retire there. It doesn't always happen, and understanding the markets will help immeasurably in planning for your long haul.
True, or put another way, emphasize that the way Atlas management runs their company with diversified business that promotes growth. It makes it a company that's doing something your current employer ISN'T doing (if applicable) and is reason you want to work there. In the process, it offers you something you like in an employer.

Helping the HR folks do just like they say they are interview brief. Not only ensuring that you're a good fit for Atlas, but that Atlas will be a good fit FOR YOU.

Example; Taking a risk and getting a passenger config 747/spooling up an FA training program to secure the SONAIR contract. And in the process, carry people. That after a year allowed allowed them to not only fly cargo for the DOD, but now troops as well. With MORE passenger configured 747's. Brilliant!!!!!!

Boom, see how easy that was?
xjtguy is offline  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 PM
  #5050  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 767 FO
Posts: 39
Default

During my interview in 2011, I was asked "you are doing a run from HNL to Australia, who are you carrying for?". Knowing what companies we contract with in what parts of the world, and what is going on in the industry is VERY relavent to a hiring page. This was one of several questions I was asked to see if I understood the business and Atlas specifically.
bjack is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
AAL763
Atlas/Polar
112
12-10-2016 05:13 PM
ProceedOnCourse
Hiring News
23
08-16-2009 07:40 PM
cencal83406
Regional
17
02-03-2009 08:19 PM
astropilot92571
Hiring News
4
04-26-2005 09:58 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices