Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional > Endeavor Air
Any "Latest & Greatest" about Endeavor? >

Any "Latest & Greatest" about Endeavor?

Notices
Endeavor Air Regional Airline

Any "Latest & Greatest" about Endeavor?

Old 03-21-2017, 05:32 PM
  #12111  
:-)
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,339
Default

Originally Posted by Out West View Post
Apples and oranges, but that's a snazzy straw man. And still a moot point. It's a requirement.

I actually don't have an opinion, and certainly no beef with anyone about it. I just don't understand what it has to do with the latest and greatest about Endeavor.
No, it's apples to apples, requiring something that isn't required is unethical. If it is preferred, or competitive, that's fine. In our era of six figure college debt, it is wrong to ask someone to take on that much debt for no reason other than, "hey, it's a box check".

It is relevant, because someone without a degree can go to PSA, and flow to American.
Mesabah is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:51 PM
  #12112  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Out West's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Posts: 226
Default

Still a straw man (and they're multiplying.) Still apples and oranges.

Straight to "unethical" to require a baseline education? I can only assume nazism is next.

Know what's *really* BS? These stupid hour requirements. I mean, I really WANT to fly at FedEx, isn't that enough? Why should I have to put in years of effort? Heart surgeons right out of med school can get a job.

There. We've got ourselves a full on straw man village now.
Out West is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:21 PM
  #12113  
Gets Weekends Off
 
prex8390's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,141
Default

What's the point of going to high school too, only thing I ever learned there was how to get into college and college prep classes which according to everyone isn't needed anymore to be good at anything. If we don't have to fund it it will be a less of a burden on thr tax payers since it doesn't make me a better pilot.
prex8390 is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 PM
  #12114  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,559
Default

It seems you must be out of touch with the mainstream public interview processes then. Many, MANY jobs require a degree. It's not discriminationl rather, a discriminator. If it's a requirement for the job, then it keeps folks who opt not to get a degree from getting hired. Much the same way I cannot be a lawyer nor a doctor because I don't have those educations.

Discrimination as a hiring requirement... now I have heard it all.

Originally Posted by flyguydanny View Post
Dude... you're missing the point. I understand where you're coming from. However, what you're trying to justify is discrimination against hard working folks that don't have a degree... So what you're saying is "well, all the guys that have a degree your better than those that don't so you get to flow to Delta! ... while the rest of the non-degree losers work at the Regional for the rest of their lives". It makes zero sense man. If there is a "flow" or whatever you want to call it in the future. It needs to be fair for everyone, in order of seniority period.

No age, or degree discrimination. If you possess the ability the fly an aircraft in a safe manner that happens to say "Delta Connection" on it, and fly into the same airport as mainline. In my opinion you are more than capable of flying an aircraft that says "Delta" on it into the same airports as Delta Connection.

This of course is all talk. Nothing we do our say will change what Delta does and I respect that. It's their airline they can pick and choose. However, if we "flow" we all flow equally, that's the only fair way to do it.
HighFlight is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 PM
  #12115  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,559
Default

I predict the opposite. The DGI will have a higher success rate than the SSP.

Originally Posted by Mesabah View Post
My guess is a low percentage. The ones motivated enough to pass the Delta interview, will likely be the ones who get hired at other majors before their DGI time is met.
HighFlight is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 PM
  #12116  
:-)
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,339
Default

Originally Posted by prex8390 View Post
What's the point of going to high school too, only thing I ever learned there was how to get into college and college prep classes which according to everyone isn't needed anymore to be good at anything. If we don't have to fund it it will be a less of a burden on thr tax payers since it doesn't make me a better pilot.
You don't have to go to high school, you can get into college with a GED. Not a good college, but one that will apparently fulfill the requirement to be a pilot at some airlines.
Mesabah is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:55 PM
  #12117  
:-)
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,339
Default

Originally Posted by HighFlight View Post
It seems you must be out of touch with the mainstream public interview processes then. Many, MANY jobs require a degree. It's not discriminationl rather, a discriminator. If it's a requirement for the job, then it keeps folks who opt not to get a degree from getting hired. Much the same way I cannot be a lawyer nor a doctor because I don't have those educations.

Discrimination as a hiring requirement... now I have heard it all.
You have probably read a study that is being put out by Universities, about how a college degree is required. This is passive advertising. However, in reality it doesn't exist this way. I don't know of any profession other than airline pilot that require non-specific degrees as a hard skill. Yes, it may be such where a degree is a competitive requirement, but you will find the employer always lists that as "college preferred".

Delta has hired lucky individuals without the degree, and they seem to be successful, since none have been sent back to 9E yet.
Mesabah is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:03 PM
  #12118  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: CaptFo
Posts: 997
Default

Originally Posted by HighFlight View Post
I predict the opposite. The DGI will have a higher success rate than the SSP.
Because of hiring comparison... rounds 1 and 2. Look at SSP second round..completely different experience from first. Nothing to do with interview performance....everything to do with different hiring environment.
Yumyum is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:14 PM
  #12119  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,559
Default

You are quite incorrect. I have applied for many jobs that require a BS degree; some required a MS. Don't have them? Your application goes into the round file. It's simple... you don't have a degree, you do not qualify for the job.

No studies read here, just real-life experience, outside the tiny little cocoon of airline pilots.

Originally Posted by Mesabah View Post
You have probably read a study that is being put out by Universities, about how a college degree is required. This is passive advertising. However, in reality it doesn't exist this way. I don't know of any profession other than airline pilot that require non-specific degrees as a hard skill. Yes, it may be such where a degree is a competitive requirement, but you will find the employer always lists that as "college preferred".

Delta has hired lucky individuals without the degree, and they seem to be successful, since none have been sent back to 9E yet.
HighFlight is offline  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 PM
  #12120  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Posts: 118
Default

Originally Posted by flyguydanny View Post
...I am not bashing going to school and getting a degree. I actually think it's a great thing! However, a lot of people don't go to college not because they are incapable, but more so on the line of not being able to afford it, along with not wanting to get into life long debt. ...
Ok, this misinformation needs to stop. I'm working on a second degree locally, and no it's not a community college, paying right around $3k per semester full time including all books, fees, and supplies. For someone starting from scratch, taking it easy and taking 12 semesters to finish, and allowing for a couple screw-ups along the way, that comes out to about $36k. I'm intentionally using high-side numbers to make a point.

That's hardly unaffordable, life long debt.
Datsun is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
StraightShooter
Endeavor Air
124
06-26-2023 11:23 AM
WARich
Delta
11220
06-10-2020 08:42 AM
Crash
Major
3437
01-30-2013 07:51 PM
shua757
Major
2
02-24-2009 07:44 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices