Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 01-25-2015, 02:51 PM
  #5911  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: Representing the REAL Delta
Posts: 857
Default

Originally Posted by eman View Post
I hear ya. I just put on my shades and then they can't tell what I'm up to. To each his own, do they make blinders like what horses wear for pilots? Lol





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's actually weird to keep the lights off, keeps guys from getting tired. Do you close and lock the bathroom door when you poop in your hotel room

Last edited by cornbeef007; 01-25-2015 at 03:06 PM.
cornbeef007 is offline  
Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM
  #5912  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 289
Default

Originally Posted by cornbeef007 View Post
It's actually weird to keep the lights off, keeps guys from getting tired. Do you close and lock the bathroom door when you poop in your hotel room

Hahaha! I do, i think it's just The force of habit. Also don't want that aroma filling up the place.

Which reminds me of another one...ppl who drop a deuce in the forward lav where the smell wafts into the cockpit and I'm catching it full force. Knowing what it is and where it comes from makes it worse.

Well I'm thinking now I'm the tool for liking dim lights...when everyone else prefers bright. It sure hurts the eyes though. Good thing I never complain to the other pilot and let them do their thing.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eman is offline  
Old 01-25-2015, 06:32 PM
  #5913  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2012
Posts: 107
Default

Originally Posted by saxman66 View Post
I was flying was a centerline nazi the day. I'm getting lined up for a visual in a pretty stiff crosswind. "You're off centerline" (still 3 miles out). Next landing same thing. If I was it was less than a quarter dot. 3rd landing at night. Nose wheel touches down on the turtles, because that's what I can see..."Umm you need to get centerline." Gee thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEN based guy?
telejet is offline  
Old 01-25-2015, 09:05 PM
  #5914  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,933
Default

Originally Posted by eman View Post
PNF's (Capt's in my case) who armchair quarterback and insist on the flying being done their way. Want to fly the plane? Just ask... I love handing it over to them when they're being a pain. It sure gets to them when I ask "do you want to fly it?" And hand it over without arguing or awaiting a response. Hell I'd rather do paperwork/radios and take it easy anyways.

Want to raise the gear, etc.. when only you see positive rate without my call outs? Ok...lets see how you feel when I do the same. God forbid we do something without your almighty call out and make you have a hissy fit.

Also those that leave all their cockpit lighting bright while flying at night...gee thanks for the headaches and blinding light. No wonder you're f'in blind! Gives me more reason to stare out the window and ignore you

I feel better now! Add one to my no-fly list lol



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that's why he's the Captain, and you're what??? Oh yeah the F/O. But hey if and when you make the left seat, that is if there are still pilots in the cockpit, I'm sure there'll be an F/O to find issues to nit pick about you and post comments on APC.
captjns is offline  
Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 PM
  #5915  
Eats shoots and leaves...
 
bcrosier's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Didactic Synthetic Aviation Experience Provider
Posts: 849
Default

Originally Posted by eman View Post
Hahaha! I do, i think it's just The force of habit. Also don't want that aroma filling up the place.
I have to wonder just how potent your doo is, if you have to LOCK the bathroom door to contain the odour to the confines of the water closet! {grin}

I'm with the other posters - I suspect you haven't done enough oceanic crossings in the middle of the night to really appreciate the benefit of lighting in overcoming your body's circadian rhythms.
bcrosier is offline  
Old 01-25-2015, 10:50 PM
  #5916  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captjns's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar
Posts: 5,933
Default

Originally Posted by bcrosier View Post
I'm with the other posters - I suspect you haven't done enough oceanic crossings in the middle of the night to really appreciate the benefit of lighting in overcoming your body's circadian rhythms.
That's the beauty of CPDLC. Set the od alarm clock to 10 minutes before the next FIR or switch over point, dim the lights and enjoy the dull humm of the motors.
captjns is offline  
Old 01-26-2015, 04:42 AM
  #5917  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.
Posts: 3,967
Default

Originally Posted by eman View Post
PNF's (Capt's in my case) who armchair quarterback and insist on the flying being done their way. Want to fly the plane? Just ask... I love handing it over to them when they're being a pain. It sure gets to them when I ask "do you want to fly it?" And hand it over without arguing or awaiting a response. Hell I'd rather do paperwork/radios and take it easy anyways.

Want to raise the gear, etc.. when only you see positive rate without my call outs? Ok...lets see how you feel when I do the same. God forbid we do something without your almighty call out and make you have a hissy fit.

Also those that leave all their cockpit lighting bright while flying at night...gee thanks for the headaches and blinding light. No wonder you're f'in blind! Gives me more reason to stare out the window and ignore you

I feel better now! Add one to my no-fly list lol



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can I nominate the PFs (FOs in my case, often with less than a year of experience burning jet A) who get butt hurt when I offer a helpful tip based on my thousands of hours in the jet?

Example:
(FO spends 20 seconds heads down and about 10 extra button clicks in the FMS fumbling to draw an intercept to a fix on an ILS)

Me: You know, you can just put the IAF behind the aircraft and it will auto-sequence and draw the line for you.

FO: *blink* Yeah but...I like doing it that way.

Me: *shrug*

Or when I point out a deviation from a clearance.
(ATC assigns 210 knots while level on downwind into a major airport with aircraft ahead and behind us and we have been doing 230+ for almost a minute)

Me: Hey man, don't forget he wants us at 210.

FO: I know. I just don't like jockeying the throttles all over the place.

Me: Well I don't know that you've come anywhere close to 210 since we got the clearance so you are going to need to touch the thrust at some point.

FO: *Huffs and makes big show of yanking the thrust to idle*

Or maybe this is just how it feels to become an old fart?

Last edited by freezingflyboy; 01-26-2015 at 04:57 AM.
freezingflyboy is offline  
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 AM
  #5918  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 289
Default Tool of the day

Haha! Touché!

And that's why I don't argue I just let them fly it..why act like a baby and get into arguments in the air?

I once had an fo like that and it all makes for good practice in just letting things go, stress free baby!

Love this thread


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eman is offline  
Old 01-26-2015, 05:44 AM
  #5919  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.
Posts: 3,967
Default

Originally Posted by eman View Post
Haha! Touché!

And that's why I don't argue I just let them fly it..why act like a baby and get into arguments in the air?

I once had an fo like that and it all makes for good practice in just letting things go, stress free baby!

Love this thread


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear you on the getting stonewalled when offering a shortcut to the noob. More than one way to skin a cat, some easier than others. But I don't know that I'd call deviating from a clearance with the potential to cause a separation issue or worse, a wake turbulence upset, "stress free"

But hey, why insist the aircraft at least be flown within ATP tolerances when you can just "let it go"?
freezingflyboy is offline  
Old 01-26-2015, 07:58 AM
  #5920  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green
Posts: 4,378
Default

Originally Posted by freezingflyboy View Post
But hey, why insist the aircraft at least be flown within ATP tolerances when you can just "let it go"?
Don't feel alone. Its all part and parcel to the "entitlement" generation. They only take pride in being Level 259 in some video game. They could care less about the professional pride that comes with flying a jet within prescribed parameters.

Its enough to make any old fart grumpy.
Packrat is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices