Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major > JetBlue
JetBlue Latest and Greatest >

JetBlue Latest and Greatest


Notices

JetBlue Latest and Greatest

Old 03-05-2022, 08:40 PM
  #12351  
Layover Master
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated
Posts: 4,312
Default

Originally Posted by todd1200
But thereís a philosophical operational decision that every business has to make. How much excess capacity do you carry? I donít mean load factor, I mean all the nuts and bolts that make everything tick. How many extra tow bars, power units, etc. do you have at each station? How much downtime do you schedule for your aircraft? Some airlines opt to carry excess operational capacity and eat the associated costs in order to ensure a higher service level. Some airlines would rather save the money and carry less excess and accept a lower service level, or lower performance metrics, etc. The correct answer could be debated, and the return on investing in operational efficiency is pretty clear, but at the end of the day, I donít think the meltdowns are a surprise to anyone in the upper echelons. I think there was a conscious decision made long ago to accept thinner operational margins in return for the associated cost savings.
Considering the number of 11 hour layovers are in the current bid pack, I have to agree.
We are the least on time airline the US, and then the company deliberately doubles down and schedules layovers that are almost guaranteed to invoke crew rest delays.
#shrugs
PotatoChip is offline  
Old 03-06-2022, 03:53 AM
  #12352  
The REAL Bluedriver
 
Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: Airbus Capt
Posts: 6,905
Default

Originally Posted by todd1200
But thereís a philosophical operational decision that every business has to make. How much excess capacity do you carry? I donít mean load factor, I mean all the nuts and bolts that make everything tick. How many extra tow bars, power units, etc. do you have at each station? How much downtime do you schedule for your aircraft? Some airlines opt to carry excess operational capacity and eat the associated costs in order to ensure a higher service level. Some airlines would rather save the money and carry less excess and accept a lower service level, or lower performance metrics, etc. The correct answer could be debated, and the return on investing in operational efficiency is pretty clear, but at the end of the day, I donít think the meltdowns are a surprise to anyone in the upper echelons. I think there was a conscious decision made long ago to accept thinner operational margins in return for the associated cost savings.
If you listen to Delta's earnings calls and interaction with Wall Street they will actually tell anyone who will listen why they perform so well financially. They don't even pretend to hide it. They made a conscious decision several years ago to invest in operational excellence to attract the highest paying customers possible. The customers that actually want to get to their destination, and get there on time most of the time. They regularly explain that this plan worked, and worked REALLY well. And maybe intentionally, and to some degree accidentally or at least in order of magnitude begrudgingly, they implemented or maintained a valuable profit sharing plan to align the employees financial performance with that of the company's. I spend a LOT of time on Delta aircraft, have for over 10 years, and I've watched the transformation. Other than Atlanta, the level of engagement, service and hospitality they provide to their customers is second to none in the US, and it was pretty clear that when their large profit sharing checks started to ring in several years ago marked the beginning of their hospitality ascent and coincided with their operational and financial performance ascent.

It's so frustrating as they have demonstrated to the whole world how to improve financial performance, yet most companies think they know better, do their own sub-par thing, and then make excuses for their sub-par financial performance.
Bluedriver is offline  
Old 03-06-2022, 10:53 AM
  #12353  
The REAL Bluedriver
 
Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: Airbus Capt
Posts: 6,905
Default

Payne has the new corporate slogan:

"Thanks for flying XX, we hope it was good enough"...
Bluedriver is offline  
Old 03-06-2022, 01:05 PM
  #12354  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: 190 captain and “Pro-pilot”
Posts: 2,919
Default

Originally Posted by Wipeout
Might want to tone down the accident rhetoric here. This is a public forum.

I just simply worry about how they are running things. Now with an increase in flying this summer when we barley held on this winter I continue to worry, add in a ton of new people and low morale and a schedule with no relief valves for planes or employees and I stay concerned.

Last edited by pilotpayne; 03-06-2022 at 01:28 PM.
pilotpayne is offline  
Old 03-06-2022, 01:58 PM
  #12355  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 325
Default

Originally Posted by Wipeout
Might want to tone down the accident rhetoric here. This is a public forum.
Why? its a valid topic. Flying planes around with tons of write ups, and overworking tech ops personnel, while paying bottom barrel wages may be legal, but it has safety consequences. CS isn't the only area of the operation that is run like a sweat shop.
MainlineFlyer is offline  
Old 03-06-2022, 03:56 PM
  #12356  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 201
Default

Lol. Smh. I want improvements everywhere as much as the next pilot but man the hysteria in this forums is out of control.
KNOTAPILOT is offline  
Old 03-06-2022, 04:01 PM
  #12357  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 325
Default

Originally Posted by KNOTAPILOT
Lol. Smh. I want improvements everywhere as much as the next pilot but man the hysteria in this forums is out of control.

No hysteria, just facts. Talk to a tech ops member about how long JB gives them to work on a broken plane during RONs in comparison to their friends at Delta or United. I promise you will be surprised at the difference. They are "pushed" as much as all the other groups at B6.
MainlineFlyer is offline  
Old 03-06-2022, 04:06 PM
  #12358  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: 190 captain and “Pro-pilot”
Posts: 2,919
Default

Originally Posted by KNOTAPILOT
Lol. Smh. I want improvements everywhere as much as the next pilot but man the hysteria in this forums is out of control.
Are you trying to get into management because that is thier attitude as well. But hey if only there were some metrics or something

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...j-ranking.html
pilotpayne is offline  
Old 03-06-2022, 06:06 PM
  #12359  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2012
Posts: 992
Default

Originally Posted by KNOTAPILOT
Lol. Smh. I want improvements everywhere as much as the next pilot but man the hysteria in this forums is out of control.
Do you really or are you just happy to be hear because it's so much better than where you came from. This is why we can't have nice things.
BunkerF16 is offline  
Old 03-06-2022, 06:11 PM
  #12360  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 201
Default

Originally Posted by pilotpayne
Are you trying to get into management because that is thier attitude as well. But hey if only there were some metrics or something

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...j-ranking.html
If you read anything Iíve ever said youíd see Iím far from defending the mismanagement we have. Iím also not going to write hysterical statements that donít serve anyone here, not to the ones interested in coming, not the ones working alongside me to achieve the contract we want. My reaction was that to a comment of the company wanting to hire 960 and someone said maybe theyíd keep 250. Then the one that pretty much claims how maintenance is dangerous and how wages are bottom of the barrel. Thatís to name a few of the far fetched comments Iíve seen. Also you can pick and choose whatever article you want to show how bad of an airline we are but it doesnít paint the whole picture. Everyone likes to comment how badly run this place is but pre COVID (havenít checked post) this place was the second most profitable airline. Thereís plenty of things to fix in this airline like many others. I for one actually do more than just type random things that make posters credibility or sanity be questioned.
KNOTAPILOT is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Zoomie
Major
36
01-28-2015 11:44 AM
iahflyr
Major
27
09-30-2014 09:04 AM
Mason32
Regional
270
07-27-2010 06:01 PM
Scott34567
Regional
39
05-29-2008 07:08 PM
Sir James
Major
0
07-29-2005 07:02 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices