Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Contour Airlines

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 10:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by Lee Harris View Post
I would like to clarify the numbers mentioned above. If we are speaking about the ERJ SIC position, the base annual compensation is 36k. Added to that is of course add pay (100%-150% day rate) and per diem ($2.08) that yields total first year comp in the 41-43 range. As to days off per month, by in large it is 12, some months have seen 11. This month many of the SICs are at 13 days off; that does not include months with vacation. I n the past, we had a different operation/fleet with a 11/4 schedule.
Please don’t try to entice new comers into thinking their pay is better than it actually is by inflating it with Per Diem.

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
Per Diem is not salary, nor should it be considered as such.
Yep, but so many people don’t understand this.
But seeing how a Lee Harris is listed as an Executive VP of Flight Ops at Contour on LinkedIn…. It’s marketing fluff.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:20 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Per Diem is not salary, nor should it be considered as such.
There are jobs out there where PD definitely is part of your salary. Home every night gigs for example. My previous place paid $3.21/hr of per diem, and I was home every night. How was that not part of your salary?
Old 10-01-2021, 07:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by dera View Post
There are jobs out there where PD definitely is part of your salary. Home every night gigs for example. My previous place paid $3.21/hr of per diem, and I was home every night. How was that not part of your salary?
Because Per Diem is meant as “reimbursement” for personal expenses incurred such as meals, transportation, tips, etc. while away from home.
Old 10-02-2021, 03:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Your accountant, if you have one, will provide you with the definition of compensation and per Diem.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:26 AM
In a land of unicorns

Originally Posted by QRH Bingo View Post
Because Per Diem is meant as “reimbursement” for personal expenses incurred such as meals, transportation, tips, etc. while away from home.
I am well aware. But there are jobs where it is just a nice addition to your normal salary, because you have no need for meals, transportation or tips.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

I am well aware. But there are jobs where it is just a nice addition to your normal salary, because you have no need for meals, transportation or tips.

Wow!!! All I can write WOW!!! Unless posted from an non 121/135/129 crew member… unless a management recruiting stooge. Have there been changes on this issues since the ‘70s?
Old 10-02-2021, 08:26 PM
In a land of unicorns

Wow!!! All I can write WOW!!! Unless posted from an non 121/135/129 crew member… unless a management recruiting stooge. Have there been changes on this issues since the ‘70s?
That was my previous 135 gig. Home every night. That is why that per diem is taxed too. Because it is not a "reimbursement". I'm sorry you don't seem to understand how per diem works when your duty day begins and ends in domicile. It's the same in 121 too as a matter of fact.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2021
Default Good Stepping Stone to the Regionals?

Happy Thanksgiving folks,
I just applied to the EMB-135 FO slot. I'm currently in the 700s TT and reasonably happily employed at an ASEL piston operator. I would be taking an $11k/year pay cut to leave my job for Contour, but the problem with my work is we barely fly at all; something like 20-30 hours per month. I'm taking most of my extra pay to spend it on split time in Cessna 152s just to get 60-70 hours per month of time built. My goal is airlines before Christmas of '22, hopefully 9E. I love the idea of turbine time and the idea of signing a 12 month contract doesn't really phase me so long as I am able to get the remaining ~750 hours before that contract ends.

Do you think Contour would be able to get that amount of time built or am I better off staying put where I am?
Old 11-25-2021, 06:06 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2020

Originally Posted by AerChungus View Post
Happy Thanksgiving folks,
I just applied to the EMB-135 FO slot. I'm currently in the 700s TT and reasonably happily employed at an ASEL piston operator. I would be taking an $11k/year pay cut to leave my job for Contour, but the problem with my work is we barely fly at all; something like 20-30 hours per month. I'm taking most of my extra pay to spend it on split time in Cessna 152s just to get 60-70 hours per month of time built. My goal is airlines before Christmas of '22, hopefully 9E. I love the idea of turbine time and the idea of signing a 12 month contract doesn't really phase me so long as I am able to get the remaining ~750 hours before that contract ends.

Do you think Contour would be able to get that amount of time built or am I better off staying put where I am?
I am currently an FO here. Contour is a great place to be for your entire regional career. There’s honestly no need to even go to a regional. We upgrade to captain here around 1,500-2,000 hours, and start building PIC jet time then. Lots of people go from Contour straight to a major. If you go from Contour to a regional, it’s more of a lateral move. You have to do another type rating, your seniority you had already built at Contour is gone, and while you have 800 hours in a jet, it doesn’t matter because you are back to square one. So, yes, come to Contour, but stay until you want to move to a major.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Angry Not true

You need to be really cautious with CFM. They will lie to you and then spy on you. Go to a decent regional with a flow. You can apply to every airline but you still have a flow. CFM is a real waste of time and energy.

Last edited by Boats and Hos; 11-28-2021 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Spelling