Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

Cyborgmudhen 07-16-2013 02:18 AM

Question for y'all....

The website shows that they need my logbook.
Most of my time is miltary, is shown on may flight records, not exactly a logbook.

Is this disqualifying ?

frmrbuffdrvr 07-19-2013 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cyborgmudhen (Post 1445757)
Question for y'all....

The website shows that they need my logbook.
Most of my time is miltary, is shown on may flight records, not exactly a logbook.

Is this disqualifying ?

I'm former military also, so I know where you are coming from.

Any flight employer is going to ask to see your logbook. The purpose is to ensure you do have the flight time and type required. Your flight record print out certainly fulfills this requirement. But if they aren't familiar with the format, it is going to be harder for them to evaluate it. And anything you can do to make it easier for the interviewer to determine that you are the applicant they need is going to be to your advantage. To that end, I would personally recommend transfering your flight records to a logbook, either paper or electronic (which you would, of course, print out.) I realize this can take a while. (I had 12 years and 3200+ hours to transfer after I separated.) But longrun I think it will pay off.

Redstone256 07-19-2013 10:35 AM

I just noticed that Ameriflight no longer lists 50 hours of multi time required on their Pilot Requirements page.

Is AMF hiring guys now with fewer ME hours?

Cyborgmudhen 07-19-2013 11:32 AM

Thanks much !
I'll likely transcribe all my notes (kept notes of each flight) to an electronic log book, then and print it out when the time comes.
.....let the typing begin.

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 1447573)
I'm former military also, so I know where you are coming from.

Any flight employer is going to ask to see your logbook. The purpose is to ensure you do have the flight time and type required. Your flight record print out certainly fulfills this requirement. But if they aren't familiar with the format, it is going to be harder for them to evaluate it. And anything you can do to make it easier for the interviewer to determine that you are the applicant they need is going to be to your advantage. To that end, I would personally recommend transfering your flight records to a logbook, either paper or electronic (which you would, of course, print out.) I realize this can take a while. (I had 12 years and 3200+ hours to transfer after I separated.) But longrun I think it will pay off.

frmrbuffdrvr 07-20-2013 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Redstone256 (Post 1447743)
I just noticed that Ameriflight no longer lists 50 hours of multi time required on their Pilot Requirements page.

Is AMF hiring guys now with fewer ME hours?

That's one of those things that is variable based on need. It's not one of the part 135 required numbers, so it is company discretion. So I would guess that might be it, but I'm not certain.

Keep in mind that we only HAVE multi-engine aircraft and you are expected to be able to handle all basic multi-engine operations when you start training. Also, your interview will include a flight in a multi-engine sim, so you need to be prepared.

Hope that helps.

blaine 07-22-2013 09:41 AM

With 157 pages, I'll just ask...What is the current QOL for a new hire? Typical schedule?

BeardedFlyer 07-23-2013 09:22 AM

I have a question about my chances of getting hired, if any of you happen to know anything about AMF's current hiring state.

It has been my goal to fly here for a long time, mainly because PDX is my home town, and also because the flying looks fun.

I was hired in by a 135 operator in SE Alaska in April and will have my 135 IFR mins met here by September, the only thing I am lacking is the ME time... sitting at 20 right now. Wondering if my experience loading/unloading my own plane, and working 135 in AK will make up for my lack of ME time. Also, I have made sure not to let my instrument skills deteriorate. If given an interview I plan to show up very fresh on my IFR work. I'm hoping to get a groundschool slot in the Fall. So what do you all think? Would you suggest contacting them now ahead of time or waiting to make intial contact after I hit that 1200TT mark? Thanks a bunch.

frmrbuffdrvr 07-24-2013 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by BeardedFlyer (Post 1450053)
I have a question about my chances of getting hired, if any of you happen to know anything about AMF's current hiring state.

It has been my goal to fly here for a long time, mainly because PDX is my home town, and also because the flying looks fun.

I was hired in by a 135 operator in SE Alaska in April and will have my 135 IFR mins met here by September, the only thing I am lacking is the ME time... sitting at 20 right now. Wondering if my experience loading/unloading my own plane, and working 135 in AK will make up for my lack of ME time. Also, I have made sure not to let my instrument skills deteriorate. If given an interview I plan to show up very fresh on my IFR work. I'm hoping to get a groundschool slot in the Fall. So what do you all think? Would you suggest contacting them now ahead of time or waiting to make intial contact after I hit that 1200TT mark? Thanks a bunch.

I don't know how many we are actually hiring per month right now, but I know we are hiring. PDX is one of the bases that new hires go to, so that shouldn't be a problem for starting out. Just be advised that other than the PA31 runs, PDX is pretty senior and so to move up in aircraft size and complexity you will likely need to move somewhere else.

It wouldn't hurt to touch base now as long as you don't make a pest of yourself when you don't have the hours yet. Call the Burbank office (800-800-4538) and ask for Sheri Hudson. She is the pilot recruiter. Just let her know of your interest and that you intend to put in an application as soon as you get to 1200 total time.

Good luck.

frmrbuffdrvr 07-24-2013 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by blaine (Post 1449400)
With 157 pages, I'll just ask...What is the current QOL for a new hire? Typical schedule?

It depends on if you are doing a small package (UPS) run or one of the remaining bank runs.

The bank runs operate Monday morning to Friday evening and operate out of the base. Most are multiple legs each way. They may or may not include a layover at an apartment or hotel during the day.

The small package runs are generally outstation based (meaning you live at the "out" location and spend time at a layover at the base at night.) They usually fly inbound on Monday evening and back out in the morning, finishing up on either Friday or Saturday morning.

Most new hires start in the PA31 (though some have started in the BE99 right off the bat.) How quickly you move up from that is dependant on what runs come up and how willing you are to move around to take them. If you are adamant about staying in a location it will take longer to transition to bigger equipment.

frmrbuffdrvr 08-02-2013 01:45 AM

I don't have any new info on direct numbers of how many new hires AMF is looking for, but an internal bid just came out for 10 type rated (SA227 & BE1900) positions. That means we will need to back fill quite a few PA31 and BE99 positions which means more hiring.

Just an FYI for those interested.