Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

captfred 05-06-2013 03:23 PM

Glad to hear you are doing well Brett-I knew you would.

Jetlife 05-06-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by SWAblue (Post 1402344)
I heard is on the slow way out. Recently a senior BUR based AMF pilot was jumpseating on us and said the base has been losing money for some time now. Too few checks needing transportation any more was what he said.

Any HWD pilots could probably expand on this.

I haven't been with the company in about 6 months, my last flight with the company was about 3 days before they moved the airplanes from OAK to HWD. HWD is dying almost completely because the base manager is an absolute moron. Instead of securing new runs, or pursuing leads he is doodling on graph paper, and going on walks. I personally brought two leads on taking runs from other companies and he did nothing. One big box executive came up to me and personally told me to have AMF bid the only run out of SFO we didn't have, and we had a 100% chance of getting it. He did nothing to make it happen. If you go to AMF you will hear all about him, and there are about a billion cooky stories. It is sad because OAK was once a flourishing base.

eman 05-20-2013 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by bobbyb1027 (Post 1375828)
For any of the guys flying to BED, where are you based? What are the routes like for BED? Any rumors about a BED base in the future?

We come from two different bases a few times a week...long days on return trips! I haven't heard of a BED base but that would kick ass (when it's not winter). That run gave me a good amount of hours my first 6 months.

frmrbuffdrvr 06-12-2013 01:10 PM

Sorry. Just couldn't stand to see this thread drop to the second page. ;)

aTomatoFlames 06-28-2013 01:24 PM

Any of you guys have information on the Brasilia FO position? Do people like the FOs?

own nav 06-29-2013 09:57 AM

There's a limited number of Brasillias in the fleet, and we just lost some Texas runs. There's definitely far more openings for cheiftain pilots than EMB FO's.

EMB FOs are the bottom of the pecking order and pay scale. However, you can get into AMF at an earlier time, build up seniority, and skip the chieftain for the 99 when you hit 1200 hours. I have seen a few people do it, and it has worked out pretty well for them.

Blackwing 06-30-2013 10:12 PM

Ameriflight

Hearing rumors that AMF is hiring direct into the 99 now, true? How senior is SLC now?

own nav 07-01-2013 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Blackwing (Post 1437428)
Hearing rumors that AMF is hiring direct into the 99 now, true? How senior is SLC now?

I wouldn't expect a direct hire into the 99 in SLC at the moment (if you want that you might have a better chance at OMA or BUF). A lot of the guys transfering into SLC have only been with the company a few months though.

SLC has a mix of pilots, roughly half the pilots at the base have been here since 2008 or earlier. Most of the 99 pilots have been with AMF less than a year.

frmrbuffdrvr 07-05-2013 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by aTomatoFlames (Post 1436334)
Any of you guys have information on the Brasilia FO position? Do people like the FOs?

The advantage to coming on as an FO is that you can come on with less than the 1200 hours that 135 requires for a captain position. As mentioned above, you then can transition to a captain position (most likely a BE99) when you get your hours AND generally after you have spent a year in the right seat of the Bro to cover you training commitment.

Yes, you will likely spend at least a year as an FO before transitioning. So if you are over or pretty close to 1200 hours (and a way to get there) you might be better off getting your 1200 and hire on as a captain in the PA31.

aTomatoFlames 07-05-2013 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 1439626)
The advantage to coming on as an FO is that you can come on with less than the 1200 hours that 135 requires for a captain position. As mentioned above, you then can transition to a captain position (most likely a BE99) when you get your hours AND generally after you have spent a year in the right seat of the Bro to cover you training commitment.

Yes, you will likely spend at least a year as an FO before transitioning. So if you are over or pretty close to 1200 hours (and a way to get there) you might be better off getting your 1200 and hire on as a captain in the PA31.

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 1436737)
There's a limited number of Brasillias in the fleet, and we just lost some Texas runs. There's definitely far more openings for cheiftain pilots than EMB FO's.

EMB FOs are the bottom of the pecking order and pay scale. However, you can get into AMF at an earlier time, build up seniority, and skip the chieftain for the 99 when you hit 1200 hours. I have seen a few people do it, and it has worked out pretty well for them.

Thanks for the info guys!