Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Ameriflight (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/17324-ameriflight.html)

own nav 04-29-2018 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bellair (Post 2581922)
It’s does! Thanks for the reply.

Are you based out of SLC?

Yes, I am.

FreightDogs 04-30-2018 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by SoFloFlyer (Post 2582052)
Seems like the schedules company wide are not commutable? Maybe I’m missing something? I was looking at the 120 FO position and it seems like I would have to relocate from south Florida or get a crash pad to be able to do accept that position when the time came. Any truth to this?

The EMB120 First Officer positions are not commutable.
The ACP First Officer positions, however, are commutable, because we fly you to your assignment anywhere in our system as our goal is to get you the hours you need as quickly as possible. And since we don't need an FO in that aircraft, we can just send you to our highest timed routes.

We prefer pilots to live less than 1.5 hours from the base where their route leaves out of. But we also know that's not completely possible. That's why we have Home-Based Captain positions. That schedule is different from our typical Monday through Friday, morning to evening. It's 14/7/14/14.

Hope that helps!

frmrbuffdrvr 04-30-2018 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SoFloFlyer (Post 2582052)
Seems like the schedules company wide are not commutable? Maybe I’m missing something? I was looking at the 120 FO position and it seems like I would have to relocate from south Florida or get a crash pad to be able to do accept that position when the time came. Any truth to this?

It's not like a passenger airline where you could commute into the location you are starting your schedule from, fly around to different airports with the company providing a hotel each night and then commute back home at the end of your flight rotation.

In the small package cargo world you are flying from a hub to an outstation and back, sometimes with a daily layover between. If the layover is long enough, we pay for a hotel or provide an apartment. The pilot is responsible for providing their own place to stay at the other end. So you can commute on the days in between, though that is usually only two or three days maximum and doesn't leave much time at home after the commute travel. And we don't have a grace provision if your commute flight gets disrupted.

SoFloFlyer 04-30-2018 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2583115)
The EMB120 First Officer positions are not commutable.
The ACP First Officer positions, however, are commutable, because we fly you to your assignment anywhere in our system as our goal is to get you the hours you need as quickly as possible. And since we don't need an FO in that aircraft, we can just send you to our highest timed routes.

We prefer pilots to live less than 1.5 hours from the base where their route leaves out of. But we also know that's not completely possible. That's why we have Home-Based Captain positions. That schedule is different from our typical Monday through Friday, morning to evening. It's 14/7/14/14.

Hope that helps!

That’s actually very helpful! Thank you! I definitely keep that position in mind moving forward. Single pilot multi turbine should be a lot of fun to fly.

SoFloFlyer 04-30-2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2583272)
It's not like a passenger airline where you could commute into the location you are starting your schedule from, fly around to different airports with the company providing a hotel each night and then commute back home at the end of your flight rotation.

In the small package cargo world you are flying from a hub to an outstation and back, sometimes with a daily layover between. If the layover is long enough, we pay for a hotel or provide an apartment. The pilot is responsible for providing their own place to stay at the other end. So you can commute on the days in between, though that is usually only two or three days maximum and doesn't leave much time at home after the commute travel. And we don't have a grace provision if your commute flight gets disrupted.

Thanks for the info!

tbmpilot 05-01-2018 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr (Post 2583272)
It's not like a passenger airline where you could commute into the location you are starting your schedule from

I agree with this, but it is possible to commute and I did it for over 18 months. If you can get an outstation that is a reasonable driving distance (2.5 to 3 hours max) from an airport that Southwest serves with direct and/or frequent flights you can commute in on Monday morning. It requires a lot of dedication and a willingness to get up early and catch the first flight, having a couple of options after that in case the first one is full. Normally, you can jumpseat on the earliest flight without issue. I also never had trouble getting home on Saturday afternoon.

Keep a beater car or a motorcycle at the Southwest city.

Enjoy your Saturday evening and Sunday, rinse, repeat.

frmrbuffdrvr 05-01-2018 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by tbmpilot (Post 2584223)
I agree with this, but it is possible to commute and I did it for over 18 months. If you can get an outstation that is a reasonable driving distance (2.5 to 3 hours max) from an airport that Southwest serves with direct and/or frequent flights you can commute in on Monday morning. It requires a lot of dedication and a willingness to get up early and catch the first flight, having a couple of options after that in case the first one is full. Normally, you can jumpseat on the earliest flight without issue. I also never had trouble getting home on Saturday afternoon.

Keep a beater car or a motorcycle at the Southwest city.

Enjoy your Saturday evening and Sunday, rinse, repeat.

I never said it couldn't be done. And we have many more options than SWA these days.

SJSsynnotforme 05-04-2018 06:59 AM

Couldn't find it in the previous pages but when does jumpseat privilege's start? I assume after the background check is completed?

FreightDogs 05-04-2018 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by SJSsynnotforme (Post 2586067)
Couldn't find it in the previous pages but when does jumpseat privilege's start? I assume after the background check is completed?

Hi, there!

Jumpseat privileges are available after your successful completion of training - so after your checkride.

Hope that helps!

SJSsynnotforme 05-04-2018 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by FreightDogs (Post 2586131)
Hi, there!

Jumpseat privileges are available after your successful completion of training - so after your checkride.

Hope that helps!

Thank you FreightDogs!