Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 08:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: Line holder

Originally Posted by Privateer383 View Post
Consider the assets available to each company offering a bonus or mandating a contract for something the company provides you, the starving pilot.

Typical to most Regionals, any accepted bonus must be repaid (usually pro-rated) if the contracted time in service is not fulfilled by the pilot. I think most will agree that is not unreasonable.

However, Boutique is not a regional airline. It is a very small "niche" airline with far fewer assets than the regionals. Their base income is from EAS (Essential Air Service- government contracted services) and very little charter. They simply don't have the assets available to offer bonuses and, to be honest, because of their "target market" they really don't need to. Remember- you're a starving pilot, deal with it.

You will NOT be able to get a job at at Regional with a mere 500 hours of FW time. You NEED companies like Boutique.

But Boutique isn't running a flight school intending to make you feel warm and fuzzy as you run off to fly for another company. While career progression is a known factor in their business model, they have an obligation to fulfill and they need pilots to do it. They need some predictability in order to fulfill those obligations. If they are offering desirable training & experience, then it is also very reasonable that they should expect a predictable return from the pilots they select.

If Boutique invests in you very desirable training and experience -a stepping stone to your dream career (SIC & PIC turbine time), then what is so bad about giving them a very reasonable return on their investment? They are not required to hire YOU.

A year is not very long, even by airline standards. How long would it take you to earn the money to pay for 500-1000 hours of turboprop time? And, yes, their pay back program is pro-rated.

I am a new employee at Boutique and I'm sure the company quirks will reveal themselves soon enough, and my tenure at Boutique will certainly be affected by my ability to adapt to their way of doing business.

Regardless of their deficiencies, I can easily fly their turboprops as SIC or PIC for a mere 12 months, leave Boutique on good terms and, with excellent and highly desired experience in turboprops on my resume, move on to fly whatever I desire be it jets, fire attack, corporate, whatever. A year is NOT "too long".

Life isn't easy and "there are no free lunches". We as pilots have INCREDIBLE career opportunities at this time, but we still have some dues to pay. Grow up and man up! Choose to be a man/woman of integrity and fulfill your contract without being a whiny-ass little "beeyatch". Be a team player. Do your job to completion. When ready, depart with honor. We reap what we sow. "Git 'er dun!"

Peace.

This wasn’t an attack on this carrier. If it works for you, have at it. But it may not work for others. And they don’t have to work there.

Among those empowered to make a different choice are those who discover the fact that there are other turbine operators — represented on APC — that will hire lower-time pilots WITHOUT a contract or any other obligation. But each of us makes our own decisions based on our own calculations.

Peace to you as well.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: Line holder

Consider the assets available to each company offering a bonus or mandating a contract for something the company provides you, the starving pilot.

Typical to most Regionals, any accepted bonus must be repaid (usually pro-rated) if the contracted time in service is not fulfilled by the pilot. I think most will agree that is not unreasonable.

However, Boutique is not a regional airline. It is a very small "niche" airline with far fewer assets than the regionals. Their base income is from EAS (Essential Air Service- government contracted services) and very little charter. They simply don't have the assets available to offer bonuses and, to be honest, because of their "target market" they really don't need to. Remember- you're a starving pilot, deal with it.

You will NOT be able to get a job at at Regional with a mere 500 hours of FW time. You NEED companies like Boutique.

But Boutique isn't running a flight school intending to make you feel warm and fuzzy as you run off to fly for another company. While career progression is a known factor in their business model, they have an obligation to fulfill and they need pilots to do it. They need some predictability in order to fulfill those obligations. If they are offering desirable training & experience, then it is also very reasonable that they should expect a predictable return from the pilots they select.

If Boutique invests in you very desirable training and experience -a stepping stone to your dream career (SIC & PIC turbine time), then what is so bad about giving them a very reasonable return on their investment? They are not required to hire YOU.

A year is not very long, even by airline standards. How long would it take you to earn the money to pay for 500-1000 hours of turboprop time? And, yes, their pay back program is pro-rated.

I am a new employee at Boutique and I'm sure the company quirks will reveal themselves soon enough, and my tenure at Boutique will certainly be affected by my ability to adapt to their way of doing business.

Regardless of their deficiencies, I can easily fly their turboprops as SIC or PIC for a mere 12 months, leave Boutique on good terms and, with excellent and highly desired experience in turboprops on my resume, move on to fly whatever I desire be it jets, fire attack, corporate, whatever. A year is NOT "too long".

Life isn't easy and "there are no free lunches". We as pilots have INCREDIBLE career opportunities at this time, but we still have some dues to pay. Grow up and man up! Choose to be a man/woman of integrity and fulfill your contract without being a whiny-ass little "beeyatch". Be a team player. Do your job to completion. When ready, depart with honor. We reap what we sow. "Git 'er dun!"

Peace.

Choosing to be educated avoids becoming someone else’s “beeyatch.”

AVOIDING an unnecessary and onerous cost benefiting a short-term economic relationship in which one has no upside is not “paying dues.” One might view that as failing to maximize one’s own economic and professional situation.

But make your own decisions and live with the consequences...just don’t expect everyone who chooses differently to agree with your choices. Not joining an undercapitalized company that can’t meet market standards doesn’t make anyone not a “team player.” If someone finds a a company with which they could build turbine time WITHOUT a “loan” to the company, they are free to do it. Your post underscores the economic advantage of doing so.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Heard Boutique management was in Saipan ( US territory in the pacific) They might start flights there between the islands Guam-Rota-Saipan.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by pacificapt View Post
Heard Boutique management was in Saipan ( US territory in the pacific) They might start flights there between the islands Guam-Rota-Saipan.
Hmmm interesting, where did you hear this?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Originally Posted by Joebob21 View Post
Hmmm interesting, where did you hear this?
I work out here in the islands for another 135 operator. According to a coworker a management guy from Boutique was a passenger on one of our flights to Rota.

Then there was some talk in our local newspaper about a operator interested in flying out here.

Toves said a U.S. flag airline is expected to come in two weeks because they have requested information about CNMI’s airport facilities in their interest to operate between Saipan, Rota, and Guam.

“They want to see the facilities, the terminal and the runway and want to meet the CPA management,” he said.

Toves said Senate President Victor Hocog (R-Rota) is responsible for giving them information about this inter-ested airline.

He did not divulge the airline, citing that they are still in negotiations.

“We hope that they take the bait and avail of the air carrier incentive program,” Toves said.

He said the interested airline want to see the facilities and then from there develop their program, but the initial plan is to fly Saipan, Rota, and Guam.
https://www.saipantribune.com/index....ntive-program/
Old 06-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Peace.
Yup, where we are (building hours/experience) is to get somewhere else, and we need to just deal with it no matter how rough the money situation may be for now.

The way I rationalize the awful pay for just about all pilots building time to 1500 (instructing, 135, surveying, etc) is that they are still sort of paying for their hours. Boutique's $24k per year for first officers is hardly a living wage, but if you include the up front training costs for that year it makes a little more sense. It's like a third of third of the paycheck being deducted.

That being said, I thought the contract was 24 months. I don't think they should require extra payback after one year, but that's just me. My understanding is pilots usually get away without paying back smaller amounts (less than a year left of the two) as long as they leave on good terms.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2010
Position: Widebelly FO

Anyone know what PIC pay is, specifically for the P180 and PC12, thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 12:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by weekendflyer View Post
Anyone know what PIC pay is, specifically for the P180 and PC12, thanks

Not sure about the P180. PC12 is $71.43/hr w/70 hr monthly guarantee. 60K/year. Open shifts pay time and a half.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:33 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2019
Cool Captain Position PC-12

Hi all-

Does an email stating that I've successfully completed the interviews and now placed on a short list pilot pool indicate that I am hired with the company for when a class date/position opens? Was originally asked over the phone by the pilot hiring coordinator if I could make the latest class date coming up but had to decline and opted for a later time. Would appreciate some light on this to get a better understanding.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

You'll get an email with all the new hire paperwork attached. One of the attachments will be a formal job offer. Until then, don't count any chickens.

Originally Posted by VanFlyer208 View Post
Hi all-

Does an email stating that I've successfully completed the interviews and now placed on a short list pilot pool indicate that I am hired with the company for when a class date/position opens? Was originally asked over the phone by the pilot hiring coordinator if I could make the latest class date coming up but had to decline and opted for a later time. Would appreciate some light on this to get a better understanding.