Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by Azorian View Post
nope, it doesnt. And depending on schedule and pay, im sure those with availability would be glad to do either
I expect to go do this once the details are worked out. Whether 8 on/8 off or as available, it would actually be a good gig for my circumstances.

And for the most part, I enjoyed my time at BTQ.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by VOLLU View Post
I’m in the June 4 class. Can anyone offer me any tips for success? What is the training “footprint” like?
Get the CTS done before class starts. Expect 50ish hours in front of the computer. That's a biggie.

Everything else you need to get through is given to you throughout the class. All study materials are available online through the employee website once you are given access. If you have no 135 or turbine experience, expect to be drinking from a fire hose.

Good Luck.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2019
Position: B737 FO

I’m in the June 4 class. Can anyone offer me any tips for success? What is the training “footprint” like?
Congrats! What base did you get?
Old 05-22-2019, 06:25 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2016
Default Training and Crash pad?

Just received an email for a 2nd interview (technical one). I have some questions.

Would you be needing a crash pad?
Training is 2-3 weeks, How long is LOFT?
Is the training done in the plane or sim? Website says plane.
Was told schedule can be 4/3, 4/4 or 3/3...? is these possible? Other threads says 7/7 or 8/8.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by Islanderpilot View Post
Just received an email for a 2nd interview (technical one). I have some questions.

Would you be needing a crash pad?
Training is 2-3 weeks, How long is LOFT?
Is the training done in the plane or sim? Website says plane.
Was told schedule can be 4/3, 4/4 or 3/3...? is these possible? Other threads says 7/7 or 8/8.

Thanks.
word of advice. go somewhere else without a training contract.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: Line holder

Originally Posted by BurnerAccount69 View Post
word of advice. go somewhere else without a training contract.

THIS!!

A contract is out of line with the current market. This is especially true where it’s an aircraft for which one doesn’t need a type rating!
Old 06-01-2019, 07:29 AM
135 Survivor

Joined APC: May 2015

Originally Posted by majorpilot View Post
THIS!!

A contract is out of line with the current market. This is especially true where it’s an aircraft for which one doesn’t need a type rating!
Aren’t those regional hiring bonuses tied to a minimum longevity contract?
Old 06-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: Line holder

Aren’t those regional hiring bonuses tied to a minimum longevity contract?

Training and bonus contracts are apples and oranges.

I’m unaware of a regional that forces a new hire to sign a repayment contract as a condition of hiring. You show up, you get your training ... if you want to leave the day after you’re signed off IOE, you’re free to do so.

Bonus contracts are different. One doesn’t have to accept the bonus. If one does, then you either stay the agreed term or pay back the portion you’ve “shorted” the employer.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: New hire 135 airline pilot
Default Training repayment vs. bonus repayment

Consider the assets available to each company offering a bonus or mandating a contract for something the company provides you, the starving pilot.

Typical to most Regionals, any accepted bonus must be repaid (usually pro-rated) if the contracted time in service is not fulfilled by the pilot. I think most will agree that is not unreasonable.

However, Boutique is not a regional airline. It is a very small "niche" airline with far fewer assets than the regionals. Their base income is from EAS (Essential Air Service- government contracted services) and very little charter. They simply don't have the assets available to offer bonuses and, to be honest, because of their "target market" they really don't need to. Remember- you're a starving pilot, deal with it.

You will NOT be able to get a job at at Regional with a mere 500 hours of FW time. You NEED companies like Boutique.

But Boutique isn't running a flight school intending to make you feel warm and fuzzy as you run off to fly for another company. While career progression is a known factor in their business model, they have an obligation to fulfill and they need pilots to do it. They need some predictability in order to fulfill those obligations. If they are offering desirable training & experience, then it is also very reasonable that they should expect a predictable return from the pilots they select.

If Boutique invests in you very desirable training and experience -a stepping stone to your dream career (SIC & PIC turbine time), then what is so bad about giving them a very reasonable return on their investment? They are not required to hire YOU.

A year is not very long, even by airline standards. How long would it take you to earn the money to pay for 500-1000 hours of turboprop time? And, yes, their pay back program is pro-rated.

I am a new employee at Boutique and I'm sure the company quirks will reveal themselves soon enough, and my tenure at Boutique will certainly be affected by my ability to adapt to their way of doing business.

Regardless of their deficiencies, I can easily fly their turboprops as SIC or PIC for a mere 12 months, leave Boutique on good terms and, with excellent and highly desired experience in turboprops on my resume, move on to fly whatever I desire be it jets, fire attack, corporate, whatever. A year is NOT "too long".

Life isn't easy and "there are no free lunches". We as pilots have INCREDIBLE career opportunities at this time, but we still have some dues to pay. Grow up and man up! Choose to be a man/woman of integrity and fulfill your contract without being a whiny-ass little "beeyatch". Be a team player. Do your job to completion. When ready, depart with honor. We reap what we sow. "Git 'er dun!"

Peace.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Privateer383 View Post

However, Boutique is not a regional airline. It is a very small "niche" airline with far fewer assets than the regionals. Their base income is from EAS (Essential Air Service- government contracted services) and very little charter. They simply don't have the assets available to offer bonuses and, to be honest, because of their "target market" they really don't need to. Remember- you're a starving pilot, deal with it.

You will NOT be able to get a job at at Regional with a mere 500 hours of FW time. You NEED companies like Boutique.

But Boutique isn't running a flight school intending to make you feel warm and fuzzy as you run off to fly for another company. While career progression is a known factor in their business model, they have an obligation to fulfill and they need pilots to do it. They need some predictability in order to fulfill those obligations. If they are offering desirable training & experience, then it is also very reasonable that they should expect a predictable return from the pilots they select.

If Boutique invests in you very desirable training and experience -a stepping stone to your dream career (SIC & PIC turbine time), then what is so bad about giving them a very reasonable return on their investment? They are not required to hire YOU.

A year is not very long, even by airline standards. How long would it take you to earn the money to pay for 500-1000 hours of turboprop time? And, yes, their pay back program is pro-rated.

I am a new employee at Boutique and I'm sure the company quirks will reveal themselves soon enough, and my tenure at Boutique will certainly be affected by my ability to adapt to their way of doing business.

Life isn't easy and "there are no free lunches". We as pilots have INCREDIBLE career opportunities at this time, but we still have some dues to pay. Grow up and man up! Choose to be a man/woman of integrity and fulfill your contract without being a whiny-ass little "beeyatch". Be a team player. Do your job to completion. When ready, depart with honor. We reap what we sow. "Git 'er dun!"

Peace.
Excellent post P383.
Finally someone who seems to see the larger picture.