Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 11:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Jlgrieco View Post
thanks for the lead! It looks like they require 50 hours MEL, so I’ll have to keep on searching, while I study for my CFI.... CFI studying feels overwhelming and that’s my main reason for wanting to skip it. I have the writtens done and spin training done.... but I have little help on the learning to teach aspects. I’m definitely intimidated by the checkride at this point.
It is a lot of studying I'm sure.
But an aviation career field, up to and through the majors or other career destinations, is a lot of studying.
I promise you that if you can't do the studying required for the CFI - you will not like the amount of studying you will have to do for any aviation job worth having!
Old 05-13-2020, 03:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: 175 CA

Originally Posted by Jlgrieco View Post
thanks for the lead! It looks like they require 50 hours MEL, so I’ll have to keep on searching, while I study for my CFI.... CFI studying feels overwhelming and that’s my main reason for wanting to skip it. I have the writtens done and spin training done.... but I have little help on the learning to teach aspects. I’m definitely intimidated by the checkride at this point.
If you're intimidated by getting your CFI you should find another career. 121 training will be far more difficult.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who try bypassing the CFI route. It's probably the easiest and most enjoyable 1,000 hours I ever flew. You'll be lucky to have a job flying an airplane at all soon. Take what you can get.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:46 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by Varsity View Post
If you're intimidated by getting your CFI you should find another career. 121 training will be far more difficult.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who try bypassing the CFI route. It's probably the easiest and most enjoyable 1,000 hours I ever flew. You'll be lucky to have a job flying an airplane at all soon. Take what you can get.
Seriously?! Way to discourage someone because they're nervous about a checkride. Nothing wrong with looking at different options, and absolutely nothing wrong with being nervous or intimidated. That's what pushes harder to succeed.

I'm amazed at the amount of people, who don't have anything positive to say, and discourage others from pursing their goals.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: 175 CA

Originally Posted by calmak View Post
Seriously?! Way to discourage someone because they're nervous about a checkride. Nothing wrong with looking at different options, and absolutely nothing wrong with being nervous or intimidated. That's what pushes harder to succeed.

I'm amazed at the amount of people, who don't have anything positive to say, and discourage others from pursing their goals.
Ha!

If that is going to stop someone, anything will.

This career won't always be pretty. Failures, furloughs, downgrades, base closures, soon to be automation.. If you don't want to be here, might as well quit while you're ahead.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:47 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Ha!

If that is going to stop someone, anything will.

This career won't always be pretty. Failures, furloughs, downgrades, base closures, soon to be automation.. If you don't want to be here, might as well quit while you're ahead.
Wow...what's your if you weren't trying to "stop someone"? At what point did he say he didn't want to be here? He just said he was intimidated.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: Retired

Applied via the Climb to 350 site a couple of days ago. No response yet but wondering if they'll at least acknowledge receipt of my resume or do I need to submit it via other avenues?
Old 05-14-2020, 06:26 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2019

100% with calmak! Way to discourage someone, nothing wrong with being intimidated by it , I was too before my cfi initial , went on to pass first try with one of the most intimidating dpe of south Florida 😂
Old 05-14-2020, 06:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

100% agree with Varsity!

If you are planning a career in aviation but are scared of evaluations - then you need to re-evaluate your commitment.

Many people get nervous at checkrides. That is OK. The OP might be able to avoid the CFI checkride - but he isn't going to be able to avoid so many more.

Bringing that to the attention of the OP is good advice.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

I know many pilots who’ve bypassed the CFI route. Alternative routes... ferry pilot, flying cancelled checks, charter flying at their local airports, to name a few...

With training, regardless be it under 141, 142, 135, 121, 125 or 61, as a rule, the coefficient of intimidation is proportionate as to the lack of preparedness on the behalf of the student.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:54 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2019

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
i know many pilots who’ve bypassed the cfi route. Alternative routes... Ferry pilot, flying cancelled checks, charter flying at their local airports, to name a few...

With training, regardless be it under 141, 142, 135, 121, 125 or 61, as a rule, the coefficient of intimidation is proportionate as to the lack of preparedness on the behalf of the student.
Most of the time that’s the case, depends also what kind of a person the DPE is in my opinion