Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 11:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

I'm all for by-passing the CFI/Instructing route up to a certain point.
I personally don't like the way the whole system is set-up with such new pilots instructing much of the new trainees - civilian or military system.

I wanted to skip this route too at first - not that I wouldn't ever want to be an instructor, but I wanted to be one with some experience outside the training environment before instructing.

I always likened it to a 16 year old who just passed their driver's test taking out some newly permitted 15.5 year old and teaching them how to drive - except a lot more complicated.

This is all different though than not wanting to take the CFI route because they are intimidated by the idea of the checkride or the responsibility. If you choose to make this a career - you will have much harder training, much harder checkrides, and very likely have some reasonability in teaching/mentoring a some point in your career. It is often part of aviation. It is expected in aviation.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:04 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
100% agree with Varsity!

If you are planning a career in aviation but are scared of evaluations - then you need to re-evaluate your commitment.

Many people get nervous at checkrides. That is OK. The OP might be able to avoid the CFI checkride - but he isn't going to be able to avoid so many more.

Bringing that to the attention of the OP is good advice.
I agree! Bringing it to the OP attention is good advice, but you dont have to be condescending about it. There's a way to do it and still encourage the guy.

Intimidated/nervous...honestly what's the difference come checkride time, you're more than likely experiencing both along with some excitement. I have 8 type ratings, and I've been intimidated/nervous for every single one, not to mention all the recurrent I've been through. I know I was well prepared, but I questioned myself before the checkride. So when the OP said he was intimidated, I took it as he was nervous.

So my point is why discourage someone because they're intimidated about a checkride? Why not encourage, and still get you message across...it's not easy. Intial training can be tough if you dont put in the time.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2019

Going back real quick to boutique air, any updates on hiring whatsoever? I still see the jobs being offered on the website, I’ve applied 2 weeks ago for the first officer position.
thanks
Old 05-17-2020, 03:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by Nemack85 View Post
Going back real quick to boutique air, any updates on hiring whatsoever? I still see the jobs being offered on the website, I’ve applied 2 weeks ago for the first officer position.
thanks
I’m not involved in hiring so take this with a grain of salt. The several bases I’m familiar with are over staffed at the moment in my opinion, especially with FO’s. We have more pilots on the roster than I can ever remember us ever having. Competitive mins from what I’ve been told prior to this happening was around 800TT, now it’s likely more. I know we’ve had people applying that have jet type ratings and ATP certificates. Once you meet part 135 captain mins(1200hrs) you’re likely more competitive. Keep in mind that we have a small pilot group around 170 now. That’s some pretty fierce competition at the moment. I’m optimistic that things will improve for everyone before long. Keep flying if you can and apply every so often, I’ve heard they like to see continued interest.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
I'm all for by-passing the CFI/Instructing route up to a certain point.
I personally don't like the way the whole system is set-up with such new pilots instructing much of the new trainees - civilian or military system.

I wanted to skip this route too at first - not that I wouldn't ever want to be an instructor, but I wanted to be one with some experience outside the training environment before instructing.

I always likened it to a 16 year old who just passed their driver's test taking out some newly permitted 15.5 year old and teaching them how to drive - except a lot more complicated.
THIS.....Agree completely. Many are only there to build time and aren't always preparing their students properly and it does them a disservice. Personally if I teach anything I want it to come from reasonably deep well of experience.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by Varsity View Post
If you're intimidated by getting your CFI you should find another career. 121 training will be far more difficult.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who try bypassing the CFI route. It's probably the easiest and most enjoyable 1,000 hours I ever flew. You'll be lucky to have a job flying an airplane at all soon. Take what you can get.
My issue is not a reluctance to work hard at something. And I’m not afraid of teaching. Or anything like that.
I’ve been attending a school with almost no guidance on anything at all (yes my fault for not asking the right questions when I handed them my money), but CFi has been the most difficult to navigate when there no real classroom help, or an organized curriculum. They handed out a boxed set and the cfi kit was pretty incomplete compared to the instrument and commercial kits that I was able to work through fine on my own.

The CFI prep set was just a copy of the private syllabus with supplementary information to help pass the writtens. I need checkride prep help and all of the programs (quick CFI finishing courses) that I’m finding are pretty expensive.

I know that flying is continusous education. I’m fine with that. I just need some direction on how to proceed or I need to find another way.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:55 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by calmak View Post
I agree! Bringing it to the OP attention is good advice, but you dont have to be condescending about it. There's a way to do it and still encourage the guy.

Intimidated/nervous...honestly what's the difference come checkride time, you're more than likely experiencing both along with some excitement. I have 8 type ratings, and I've been intimidated/nervous for every single one, not to mention all the recurrent I've been through. I know I was well prepared, but I questioned myself before the checkride. So when the OP said he was intimidated, I took it as he was nervous.

So my point is why discourage someone because they're intimidated about a checkride? Why not encourage, and still get you message across...it's not easy. Intial training can be tough if you dont put in the time.

thanks for the encouragement!

Ive got a lot invested in this not failing, I don’t lack motivation, but I want to do this efficiently if I can. Im not trying to sneak around a step in the food chain, but if there is an opening to do any number of options, why not explore them. I quit my part 91 dispatcher job to pursue flying because watching everyone fly around me day in and day out as I most sat behind a desk, made me know I had to go for it myself. I’ve got 3 kids and my husband works from home, so I feel I’m incredibly lucky to get this chance at 36 with a VERY understanding family.
I just want to be as prepared as possible if I’m going to get my CFI and my school has provided very weak classroom support and checkride support. That is definitely giving me anxiety. I was pricing out an American flyers 30 cfi/cfii course but it’s $6900 (I have friends to stay with so that’s a savings) but then the checkride fees add up to a total of 9k. And I’m hitting a point where if I can stop the bleeding I owe it to my family to try.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:13 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015

Is Boutique actually hiring right now?
Old 05-21-2020, 07:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by Jukem88 View Post
Is Boutique actually hiring right now?

Not to any extent.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2010
Position: Fifi

Did they really axe their CA pay to $35k/yr?