Tool of the day

Subscribe
88  488  538  578  584  585  586  587  588  589  590  591  592  598  638  688  1088 
Page 588 of 1239
Go to
Quote: Buying beers doesn"t fix the fact that the captain pulled a johnson move. I sure as hell would have told him too.

As others have said, reserve is reserve. That's just the way it is. Once on a trip, there is an implied obligation to make it an easy trip for each other. Don't be "that" guy.

And I certainly hope that it doesn't take a couple of years for you. As the Gunny said to me in another life, "Sir, you are new here. I know you got lots of ideas on how to do things, and all that %^$# they taught you in OCS, but just keep your mouth shut, and your eyes and ears open. Before you know it, you'll know it."
jj
From your postings, you seem to be a squared away guy. When I finally decide between M88 and 717 captain, I look forward to flying with you. (You're on the 717, right?)
Thanks for your reply. I much prefer to make mistakes and look like a tool here than in the real world. While I have a strong morale base and have certain principles I won't violate, I'm a blank slate when it comes to the do's and don'ts of airline life. I'll throw out and idea such as this based off some basic logic and zero experience but am not afraid to change my opinion based on rational arguments.

As for being squared away, thanks . I've done very little to hide my identity here, any DAL pilot if so inclined could look at my posts and probably figure out exactly who I am RL. I try to be respectful and talk to people here as if I was speaking to them in person.

And yes, I'm on the 717.
Quote: *shrug* It's not the military, there's no troops to take care of. I think he had more to gain than you had to lose. You were both gone for the same amount of days, the pay was probably about the same, but this way he doesn't have to go back but you didn't get easy days. Sure it stinks for you, but only a little. He better have bought beers at least.
Not enough beers in Belgium for what the skipper did... going into business for himself. That behavior may be acceptable in other venues, but not in commercial aviation or any entity involving team work for that matter.

That captain believes in CRM... "We are the Crew... You are the Resource, and I'm the Management. Good aviating skills a Captain does not make.
Quote: Not enough beers in Belgium for what the skipper did...
Agreed!!! I can't believe that CA did that! Unacceptable, period!
Quote: Interesting reply. You're completely wrong, but interesting. Easy, no-tool/ good leadership decision would be to cut loose on the third day, yellow slip for one more day and let your FO get a good deal. As for easing me into the "civilian world", after retiring from the NAV and spending 8 years with the company, I think a) leadership matters and if it doesn't to you than maybe you're part of the problem. Whether you dump lavs, dig ditches, or command a crew it matters. And b) according to my FOM, yes there are "troops" to take care of. But thanks for your $.02
You're a good man. Cheers h...
Quote: *shrug* It's not the military, there's no troops to take care of. I think he had more to gain than you had to lose. You were both gone for the same amount of days, the pay was probably about the same, but this way he doesn't have to go back but you didn't get easy days. Sure it stinks for you, but only a little. He better have bought beers at least.
That is really not the way it is here. You generally try to work as a team on a trip. You don't try to do something that will screw over the guy next to you. I would be in no mood to have a free beer with this guy.
Quote: Little Pecker Syndrome
Possibly. But at the end of the day, you're the one gobbling "breadsticks."

Oral fixation?
Quote: You are correct, I've gotten a lot of good info here. Over time I'll see what is the norm but from an outsider perspective I stand by my original statement.
Bro, you are so out to lunch it's not even funny. Good deals are extremely rare.

Imagine yourself at the end of a 4 or 5 day trip. The last "penalty lap" is cancelled for whatever reason. You can take the earlier commute home, and surprise your family!

Then the captain calls in to volunteer you both for more flying. That would be OK with you?
Quote: Bro, you are so out to lunch it's not even funny. Good deals are extremely rare.

Imagine yourself at the end of a 4 or 5 day trip. The last "penalty lap" is cancelled for whatever reason. You can take the earlier commute home, and surprise your family!

Then the captain calls in to volunteer you both for more flying. That would be OK with you?

That would be hard to digest. STILL home early!

DFW
Coming home early and surprising your wife is a move loaded with peril, drop a dime save a marriage.
Quote: Coming home early and surprising your wife is a move loaded with peril, drop a dime save a marriage.
Now that's some funny stuff.

88  488  538  578  584  585  586  587  588  589  590  591  592  598  638  688  1088 
Page 588 of 1239
Go to