What's the Latest at ASA/Expressjet?

Subscribe
238  288  328  334  335  336  337  338  339  340  341  342  348  388  438  838 
Page 338 of 1068
Go to
Quote:
Quote:
Same type of arguements that came out when airlines started transitioning to two man cockpits. Airlines are a business, not a job core. As long as a fair amount of savings is transferred to pilot compensation Dual Qual should be embraced by the pilot group just like PBS was.
Wow. I had no idea you guys were going to dual qual...ERJ & CRJ. That's amazing!

Oh wait...you guys probably mean common category flying between the CR2/CR7/CR9, since they are all the same type, right?

Dual qual = one dude flying two types (ERJ and CRJ, for instance). It wasn't a big deal that it was used incorrectly when there was only one type on property, but now you've got two different types. To call flying a CRJ and a CRJ dual qual is stupid.

I guess I shouldn't care, since ignorant people don't give a sh!t, but I have to try.
Thanks for the tech briefing. I know that already. Over at ASA we call common category dual qual. Even the union uses the same term. Unless I'm presenting a dissertation at an FAA forum, I'll keep calling it dual qual for simplicity's sake
No dual qual!!!!
Quote: No dual qual!!!!
While there are some major issues to be ironed out, I can think of about 650 Atl based 200 drivers that would give this serious consideration when compared to what, I believe, will be the consequences of the new FT/DT regs.
FWIW, many years ago Delta had a no-kidding dual qual program, e.g. a 727 S/O also current (barely) as a DC-9 F/O or a L-1011 F/O also current as a DC-9 CA. As you might imagine, safety concerns arose, and the program was eventually abandoned.
Quote: Remember the "doom and gloom" guys that come out of the woodwork every time something new is looked at? Said the same thing about PBS. The only thing that slowed the need for pilots was superficial, not internal. In fact most pilots at ASA today like the PBS system far better than the line bidding process.

Probably not much change in number of crews needed with the new 117 rules. The numbers needed to offset the new rules is fairly significant. However, it should mean less reserves because more people can get completed and one reserve can work anywhere in the system they are needed. With the upcoming flushing of the regionals, reserve should be be fairly short. It will be even shorter for the CRJ side than ERJ with this.
Is that why the company recently asked the union to increase reserve staffing? Hate to be one of those doom and gloom guys, but experience with this company is my guide. They are totally unprepared for the new work rules, are hoping for dual qual as a band aid, and will grossly increase reserves either way to cover for scheduling's incompetence and inability to comply with the new rules.
Quote: Is that why the company recently asked the union to increase reserve staffing? Hate to be one of those doom and gloom guys, but experience with this company is my guide. They are totally unprepared for the new work rules, are hoping for dual qual as a band aid, and will grossly increase reserves either way to cover for scheduling's incompetence and inability to comply with the new rules.

It's true. They are barely hanging on with the minimal rules we currently have. Scheduling people for 17hour days and 4 hour overnights. It's happened to me. If the company is having trouble with the current crap rules I feel the transition to the very restrictive new rules will be a Sh*$ Show at the very least.

It's a HUGE difference. Not so much for the majors and legacies. But for the regional carriers, being able to abuse and bank on a certain percentage of the crewmembers not even knowing their own legalities and regulations is their bread and butter.

I see a lot of fines and lost revenue coming.
According to latest "what's goin on in July", 1 CRJ and 2 ERJ classes every month for rest of 2013.

AnchorDown
Any word on classes at the beginning of 2014? I'm expecting to have ATP mins right around the New Year.
Quote: Any word on classes at the beginning of 2014? I'm expecting to have ATP mins right around the New Year.
They didn't specify in the blurb that's available to all XJT employees. I'm sure they'll worry about that as the Fall approaches and a number of hurdles are behind them (JCBA being the big one), block hours and attrition.

AnchorDown
Quote: Is that why the company recently asked the union to increase reserve staffing? Hate to be one of those doom and gloom guys, but experience with this company is my guide. They are totally unprepared for the new work rules, are hoping for dual qual as a band aid, and will grossly increase reserves either way to cover for scheduling's incompetence and inability to comply with the new rules.
Unless they improve the QOL of reserves drastically, there is no way people will vote to increase reserves. I hope the union follows the same opinion.
238  288  328  334  335  336  337  338  339  340  341  342  348  388  438  838 
Page 338 of 1068
Go to