Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional > Horizon Air
What's happening at Horizon and Jets? >

What's happening at Horizon and Jets?

Search
Notices
Horizon Air Regional Airline

What's happening at Horizon and Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:55 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Position: Student

Originally Posted by Ibiscuit View Post
so I'm one of the students in this guy's (JC) class. At first i appreciated the perspective but now his class is basically a rant about the industry two times a week.. a lot of the stuff he says is obviously wrong/biased. Insane that we're paying to hear him talk about rumors and his bitter time at depressjet.. no idea how he got hired to teach, it's embarrassing.
I'm also a student in this guys class. Although his rants sometimes seem out of place for a university-level lecture, I will give him credit that he is bringing up issues that I dont think many of my classmates have thought about, myself included. They see a recruiter with a CJO for a shiny jet (or turboprop) and immediately jump at the chance without doing as much research as they should.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by PropsAre4Boats View Post
I'm also a student in this guys class. Although his rants sometimes seem out of place for a university-level lecture, I will give him credit that he is bringing up issues that I dont think many of my classmates have thought about, myself included. They see a recruiter with a CJO for a shiny jet (or turboprop) and immediately jump at the chance without doing as much research as they should.
I agree you all should be doing your own research right now, but for this guy to be discouraging students from joining regionals right now is ridiculous. With the hiring going on, a decision like that could cost a prospective 121 guy millions in career earning potential. Wages have almost doubled in the almost 3 years that I have been in the 121 world with no sign of that slowing down.

I find it funny that it was ok for HIM to fly for a regional for $20/hour or less, but anyone who does it now for $40 or more per hour is just part of the problem. The guy is obviously jaded and has no business giving advice to prospective pilots when his opinion is obviously skewed in one direction.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by PropsAre4Boats View Post
The industry, particularly the bottom feeders,would prefer that new entrants not look any further than the shiny jets. Someone in a position to do so actually willing to call an airline's paid liars out on the BS that they're spreading is rare.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: Left Seat

Hi *&^&%$%^&&**!
We see that you have previously expressed interest in working for Horizon Air and wanted to let you to know about a few upcoming hiring events for Horizon Air pilots. Our hiring team will be available to meet you, conduct interviews, and be prepared to make offers on the spot!

Interviews will be held:

Salt Lake City
February 4, 8 AM – 5 PM
DoubleTree (SLC Airport)
5151 Wiley Post Way
Salt Lake City, Utah

Phoenix
February 11
For location details, let me know you’re interested.
Denver
February 18
For location details, let me know you’re interested.
Remember to bring your log books and resume.

If you receive an offer, qualified candidates will receive a $10,000 pre-employment bonus, be guaranteed an interview with Alaska Airlines, and receive education reimbursement.

If you’re ready to join a remarkable team that’s passionate about flying and creating incredible experiences for our guests, we’re ready to meet you.

Cherika Best
Horizon Air Pilot Recruiting Manager
Old 01-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: fatigued

We need to hire 30 pilots per month just to avoid parking airplanes. Apparently since the lawsuit and strike threat was issued, applications have dropped from 10 per day to 1, if that. I think the writing is on the wall for this place, good luck everyone.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: "Hey Dumb Dumb"

[QUOTE=Turboprop;2291490]Hi *&^&%$%^&&**!
We see that you have previously expressed interest in working for Horizon Air and wanted to let you to know about a few upcoming hiring events for Horizon Air pilots. Our hiring team will be available to meet you, conduct interviews, and be prepared to make offers on the spot!

Holy crap I thought this was a joke but its not, its on Linkin right now and was posted 4 days ago?

Yep Horizon is desperate as Smackey says good luck to you all, hate to see it but the management of Alaska must want this.

I’m not going to address the smack talk about me. I’ll explain to my class why I say the things I do. Education is the key to all the issues. I have only spoke the truth no “false news” here. This is supported by the fact the Horizon pilot group has a lawsuit.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:24 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by snackysmores View Post
We need to hire 30 pilots per month just to avoid parking airplanes. Apparently since the lawsuit and strike threat was issued, applications have dropped from 10 per day to 1, if that. I think the writing is on the wall for this place, good luck everyone.
How many have been in class so far this year?
Old 01-31-2017, 07:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Default Re:Horizon

The fact that a Union whether it is ALPA or IBT is suing the company for extra pay is outrageous. APLA and IBT failed to give a crap about new hire pay for a long time. Now that it is affecting hiring and the company is trying to lure pilots with a bonus that many other Regionals are offering says one thing. Your failure and short-sightedness are apparent and just because you do not have control over it and decide to sue the company makes the union look stupid!!! I understand CBA's and there is nothing in the CBA that says you can not offer additional compensation. Is the bonus fair to other pilots, the answer is no. Pilots have ask not only is this contract good for me but ask is it also good for the profession as a whole. For the record, I for not work for Horizon and I wish everyone there the best of luck,
Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SFO Guppy CA

Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
The fact that a Union whether it is ALPA or IBT is suing the company for extra pay is outrageous. APLA and IBT failed to give a crap about new hire pay for a long time. Now that it is affecting hiring and the company is trying to lure pilots with a bonus that many other Regionals are offering says one thing. Your failure and short-sightedness are apparent and just because you do not have control over it and decide to sue the company makes the union look stupid!!! I understand CBA's and there is nothing in the CBA that says you can not offer additional compensation. Is the bonus fair to other pilots, the answer is no. Pilots have ask not only is this contract good for me but ask is it also good for the profession as a whole. For the record, I for not work for Horizon and I wish everyone there the best of luck,
First of all, I do agree with you on the fact that it was short sighted on respective unions to not negotiate the possibility of unfair pay based upon need rather than contractual language. Especially since the impending pilot shortage was at their doorstep. However, I believe that QX was negotiating under Section 6 and "status quo" is applicable here. That is the main reason for the law suit, from what I understand. It's gonna be interesting to see how the Court rules.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
The Union asked management if they wanted to raise first year pay during negotiations; the company said that they didn't see a problem with it the way it was. The union is now using first year pay as leverage to gain improvements for the entire pilot group. Meanwhile the company is violating the CBA by offering bonuses to one small subset of the pilot group. Under your logic the company could pay their best friend, captain brown-nose, more than all the other captains and that would be just fine with you?