Notices

Hiring / training

Old 07-19-2021, 08:00 PM
  #1851  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 1900D CA
Posts: 2,973
Default

For the company it isn't just about coverage. It's a cost thing. It costs money to have us on the payroll even if you drop to zero and they don't give you a pay check. So they want to make you work to earn your keep. I'm surprised that any airline allows pilots to drop to zero.

It certainly would be a nice option to have for rare occasion like a trip to New Zealand, but otherwise I'm not going to complain much about it compared to some other issues. I work to make money and save for retirement. This contract has greatly helped my primary goal - saving up so I don't have to work at all.
Aero1900 is offline  
Old 07-20-2021, 07:01 AM
  #1852  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2018
Posts: 160
Default

Originally Posted by Aero1900 View Post
For the company it isn't just about coverage. It's a cost thing. It costs money to have us on the payroll even if you drop to zero and they don't give you a pay check. So they want to make you work to earn your keep. I'm surprised that any airline allows pilots to drop to zero.
I agree itís a cost thing, Iíll go farther than what youíre saying though. At F9 the more open time the more costly it is for our company since we have a 1.25 override over 82. Spirit does not.

Additionally nobody thinks about the positive aspect of having the limits in place. If you are allowing people to drop to 0 that means a lot worse reserve coverage for the month which results in less flexibility for line holders that just want to drop or swap a few trips.

I think our system is fine and if weíre using negotiating capital, how about we spend it on something like a calendar minimum day instead of duty min day. Then you wonít have 6 hour red eye turns or 10 hour three days with a 28 hour layover somewhere you donít want to be.
EAFF95 is offline  
Old 07-21-2021, 10:53 AM
  #1853  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Default

Originally Posted by EAFF95 View Post
I think our system is fine and if weíre using negotiating capital, how about we spend it on something like a calendar minimum day instead of duty min day. Then you wonít have 6 hour red eye turns or 10 hour three days with a 28 hour layover somewhere you donít want to be.
100% true.
Sebastiaen is offline  
Old 07-21-2021, 11:17 AM
  #1854  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Posts: 79
Default

Or no two leg red eyes
Flyhigh44 is offline  
Old 07-21-2021, 12:32 PM
  #1855  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Feb 2021
Position: BE-20GT Captain/Check Airmen
Posts: 44
Default

If anyone here is interviewing on the 10th, I would love to grab a coffee or supper the night before. PM me if interested, thanks.
weflyurelax is offline  
Old 07-21-2021, 12:41 PM
  #1856  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2018
Posts: 461
Default

Originally Posted by EAFF95 View Post
I agree itís a cost thing, Iíll go farther than what youíre saying though. At F9 the more open time the more costly it is for our company since we have a 1.25 override over 82. Spirit does not.

Additionally nobody thinks about the positive aspect of having the limits in place. If you are allowing people to drop to 0 that means a lot worse reserve coverage for the month which results in less flexibility for line holders that just want to drop or swap a few trips.

I think our system is fine and if weíre using negotiating capital, how about we spend it on something like a calendar minimum day instead of duty min day. Then you wonít have 6 hour red eye turns or 10 hour three days with a 28 hour layover somewhere you donít want to be.
We donít have a duty min day. We have an Average Minimum Duty Period.

7+6+2 = 15 and it should equal 18.
V1 McFlyerson is offline  
Old 07-21-2021, 01:34 PM
  #1857  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,772
Default

Originally Posted by V1 McFlyerson View Post
We donít have a duty min day. We have an Average Minimum Duty Period.

7+6+2 = 15 and it should equal 18.
thatís where u make up a sick day. With that 3rd duty period. 7+6+(7 credit turn sick day) = 20.
fcoolaiddrinker is offline  
Old 07-21-2021, 02:16 PM
  #1858  
Bus Driver ordinarie
 
Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Airbus CA
Posts: 553
Default This time itís Personnel

Originally Posted by weflyurelax View Post
If anyone here is interviewing on the 10th, I would love to grab a coffee or supper the night before. PM me if interested, thanks.
(HR joke..)
in person interviews kick back off in august. Dust off those suits fellasÖ
Punkah Louvre is offline  
Old 07-21-2021, 03:54 PM
  #1859  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2018
Posts: 160
Default

Originally Posted by V1 McFlyerson View Post
We donít have a duty min day. We have an Average Minimum Duty Period.

7+6+2 = 15 and it should equal 18.
Whatever you want to call it, what we currently have leads to some really unproductive pairings which the company takes advantage of.

I'd love to see that fixed.

Either a true minimum calendar day (which nobody as far as I can tell has) or even an average minimum calendar day pay would be great. The average minimum duty period pay leads to them utilizing redeye turns for min credit or three/four day pairings where there's no flying for a whole day.
EAFF95 is offline  
Old 07-21-2021, 04:47 PM
  #1860  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Nov 2020
Posts: 40
Default

Originally Posted by EAFF95 View Post
Whatever you want to call it, what we currently have leads to some really unproductive pairings which the company takes advantage of.

I'd love to see that fixed.

Either a true minimum calendar day (which nobody as far as I can tell has) or even an average minimum calendar day pay would be great. The average minimum duty period pay leads to them utilizing redeye turns for min credit or three/four day pairings where there's no flying for a whole day.
Originally Posted by V1 McFlyerson View Post
7+6+2 = 15 and it should equal 18.
Agreed. Minimum calendar day would rock; however, I would be happy with a minimum average calendar day. I believe Delta's is 5:15.
Strasser is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
PaulG
Hawaiian
4
10-19-2017 04:24 PM
Lbell911
Regional
34
03-13-2016 04:38 AM
HuggyU2
Part 91 and Low Time
25
03-27-2013 02:24 PM
BTDTB4
Major
29
02-14-2012 12:27 PM
JungleBus
Major
121
12-20-2008 04:13 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread