Tool of the day

Subscribe
91  491  541  581  587  588  589  590  591  592  593  594  595  601  641  691  1091 
Page 591 of 1239
Go to
Quote: Probably been done before but it still drives me nuts. Mid-field right down wind vector...

Me, "You got the airport?".

Him, "Yup."

Me, click, "If it helps, we got the field."

Approach, "Cleared to land."

5000'. 250 knots for the next 14 miles! Just like the chart...with me squirming like a toad. ZERO attempt to configure, slow, trim 15 or so miles off the pattern, by turning say...a 5 mille final? If I wanted it done differently I guess I should have said so. Does that make me the tool?
At least you asked. Big pet peeve when the PM calls the airport in sight without checking with the PF first. It's not just the visual, you are now responsible for traffic as well. Same goes with calling other traffic on a parallel landing runway. I always check with the PF first before I tell the tower something. Recently I had a guy call traffic without asking and as it turned out it was the wrong traffic. What's the hurry? Let ATC separate and slow you down.
^^ This is the philosophy we had at my previous 121 carrier. On IOE at my current carrier, the CA (PF) said he had the field, but I didn't see it yet. It was a new field to me and it was dark. So I didn't call it until later. He griped at me for not calling it in sight and said who cares if PM doesn't see it. So was I a tool or not? Then later he said I was on the verge of having a bad attitude...umm what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: I was flying was a centerline nazi the day. I'm getting lined up for a visual in a pretty stiff crosswind. "You're off centerline" (still 3 miles out). Next landing same thing. If I was it was less than a quarter dot. 3rd landing at night. Nose wheel touches down on the turtles, because that's what I can see..."Umm you need to get centerline." Gee thanks.

Maybe why he's still flying an RJ?
PNF's (Capt's in my case) who armchair quarterback and insist on the flying being done their way. Want to fly the plane? Just ask... I love handing it over to them when they're being a pain. It sure gets to them when I ask "do you want to fly it?" And hand it over without arguing or awaiting a response. Hell I'd rather do paperwork/radios and take it easy anyways.

Want to raise the gear, etc.. when only you see positive rate without my call outs? Ok...lets see how you feel when I do the same. God forbid we do something without your almighty call out and make you have a hissy fit.

Also those that leave all their cockpit lighting bright while flying at night...gee thanks for the headaches and blinding light. No wonder you're f'in blind! Gives me more reason to stare out the window and ignore you

I feel better now! Add one to my no-fly list lol

Quote: Also those that leave all their cockpit lighting bright while flying at night...gee thanks for the headaches and blinding light. No wonder you're f'in blind! Gives me more reason to stare out the window and ignore you
Hey most guys flying long stages at night prefer the lights on. It beats nodding off and falling asleep (without at least letting the other guy know!) due to the dark cockpit on an allnighter.

That said, I don't mind a dark cockpit either--I enjoy the view. I can "go with the flow" and don't have a hangup either way. My point is that not everyone wanting the lights on at night is a "tool." In fact for international flying I would say that is the norm.
Quote: Hey most guys flying long stages at night prefer the lights on. It beats nodding off and falling asleep (without at least letting the other guy know!) due to the dark cockpit on an allnighter.

I hear ya. I just put on my shades and then they can't tell what I'm up to. To each his own, do they make blinders like what horses wear for pilots? Lol

Quote: I hear ya. I just put on my shades and then they can't tell what I'm up to. To each his own, do they make blinders like what horses wear for pilots? Lol

I find it's particularly rare for someone to not have the dome/thunderstorm lights on at night on transcons/long flights at night.
Quote: To each his own, do they make blinders like what horses wear for pilots? Lol
Put on a pair of Foggles.
Quote: Also those that leave all their cockpit lighting bright while flying at night...gee thanks for the headaches and blinding light. No wonder you're f'in blind! Gives me more reason to stare out the window and ignore you
You seem to be an inexperienced low time First Officer with very little exposure to flying longer segments.

I have a little over 36 years of 121 flying and have spent a lot of my career flying over oceans with 4 motors. I can count on ONE hand the number of pilots that prefer to run dark.

Fly safe,

OC
Tool of the day
Lol love this board. Fly safe too buddy, to each his own! I like that line "run dark"

91  491  541  581  587  588  589  590  591  592  593  594  595  601  641  691  1091 
Page 591 of 1239
Go to