jetBlue Hiring

Subscribe
142  542  592  632  638  639  640  641  642  643  644  645  646  652  692  742  1142 
Page 642 of 1434
Go to
Quote: I forgot to add that SWA has a very small wait to class up.
I could be in class and flying the line before JB even calls to offer a classdate.
That's a valid concern. I'd go with whatever one got you into class soonest, if all else was equal.
Quote: Eh. I'm not sure that it'll be that large of an improvement.
Pros:
SWA: No PBS, opportunity to work extra, larger route structure, AWESOME healthcare and dental plans (350$ a month-or 0 a month with one of their plans), good culture
JB: quick upgrade, good culture

Cons: SWA-not Herb's airline anymore-that really isn't a con
Longer upgrade
Cons JB: less pay, not good health benefits, not good for commuting from my location, no CBA

Anymore to add?
I don't know how long it takes to get mco at SWA, but you'll be in a Florida base at jetblue in two years or less.
The cba will come ... eventually. With that more pay. Also there's plenty of opportunity to do extra flying here if that's your thing.

I wouldn't base your decision on "culture" to go to either place. I guarantee your perception and reality are vastly different. Jmho.

Also, not sure how he health care adds up next to each other, but a good friend of mine is nearly bankrupt after his wife's breast cancer through the SWA plan.

SWA has a large route structure, but is relatively stagnant. Jetblue is taking another 90+ hulls until 2022. There may be some lease returns but that's over 30% expansion over our current size.

Good luck on your decision, sounds like you've already made your choice though!

Quote: That's a valid concern. I'd go with whatever one got you into class soonest, if all else was equal.
This every time!

Forgot this little gem, but as a south fla boy, you'll never have to commute to Lgb or lax if you don't choose to. You may get oak or las out of the gate at SWA... Something to consider.
Quote: Also, not sure how he health care adds up next to each other, but a good friend of mine is nearly bankrupt after his wife's breast cancer through the SWA plan.
That's the majority of plans sans a "cancer rider." Wife has a "Cadillac Plan" at major investment firm. Same issue. The number one reason for BK in the US is medical expenses, not consumption. We narrowly avoided it, on first year B6 pay. We're not on the B6 insurance. That being said: life is drastically better in the second year. And JB stayed true to their word and just deposited the $6000 new hire bonus.

Yes, I squawked and moaned and yearned for a drive to DAL instead of a commute to JFK, but I'm happy with B6. Although I'll probably need a knee replacement in 5 years from sitting in 737 jumpseats from TX to NY. But at least I'm familiar enough with the AA procedures to know when to gird my loins when someone reaches for the printer paper.
Yeah, that 6000 dollar bonus is disappearing, and ALPA doesn't give a ****.
Quote: Yeah, that 6000 dollar bonus is disappearing, and ALPA doesn't give a ****.

...it's ALPAs fault? What would you like them to do?

Or phrased differently, what should we give away for it?

Would an angry letter saying the company sucks again make you feel better? It wouldn't change anything. Nothin is going to change until the cba is signed. Then our first year guys can stop living in poverty.

I don't like it and first year pay stinks, but it's hardly ALPAs fault.
Quote: ...it's ALPAs fault? What would you like them to do?

Or phrased differently, what should we give away for it?

Would an angry letter saying the company sucks again make you feel better? It wouldn't change anything. Nothin is going to change until the cba is signed. Then our first year guys can stop living in poverty.

I don't like it and first year pay stinks, but it's hardly ALPAs fault.
Has the bonus officially been stopped? Are there new hires not receiving it on their anniversary?

Speaking of status quo this might fall under that umbrella. I believe they stopped giving the bonus after ALPA was voted in, correct?
Quote: Has the bonus officially been stopped? Are there new hires not receiving it on their anniversary?

Speaking of status quo this might fall under that umbrella. I believe they stopped giving the bonus after ALPA was voted in, correct?
Only 2014 hires received the bonus.
Because my class - Nov 2014-was an "interim" class (between the PEA and an ALPA CBA), the company and ALPA basically told us..."we can't promise you anything. Yes, we'll pay you the going rate; however, we can't put anything in writing." We had a verbal on the bonus. Not one of my classmates could find any paperwork guaranteeing it. It was considered questionable until the money was in hand.
Quote: Only 2014 hires received the bonus.
I was a 2013 hire and received a partial bonus.

The fact they labeled it a bonus though and it wasn't in the PEA or in writing anywhere I'm guessing is why ALPA has chosen not to pursue it as a status quo issue. There may have even been an email with the reasoning that I'm forgetting.
Quote: I know at least 5 people who have been hired by both JB and SWA.
If you could start class next Monday at either, which would you pick?

I was with jetBlue about six months when SW called. For me it was a difference between a two leg commute to BOS and an easy commute to DAL. I struggled with the decision because I was not unhappy with how I was being treated at jetBlue, in fact a lot of things were better. (Ability to drop trips, move reserve days, company paid parking and uniforms, better technology, better training etc.)

Ultimately I took the job because of the easier commute and the fact that minimum days off per month at SW is 15. I was gaining time off.

All that said, jetBlue is growing more aggressively and has a product that is in an entirely different league. Nobody has a crystal ball, just make the best decision you can based on the information you have at the time.

I'm not unhappy, but there are definitely things that are significantly better at JetBlue. Weigh the pros and cons of both and roll the dice.
142  542  592  632  638  639  640  641  642  643  644  645  646  652  692  742  1142 
Page 642 of 1434
Go to