Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major > JetBlue
JetBlue Latest and Greatest >

JetBlue Latest and Greatest

Notices

JetBlue Latest and Greatest

Old 12-23-2016, 09:21 AM
  #2231  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Captain
Posts: 241
Default

Originally Posted by adebord View Post
Going transatlantic is a huge strategic move. It's a 'make or break' move by the company. The pilot groups flying preferences aren't even on the list of considerations.

JB's management is pretty aggressive and has already ordered the LR. I would wager it's more of a when, not if.
They have not ordered any LR's yet. They said they have until 2017 to decide if they want to convert current orders
blueballs is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 11:46 AM
  #2232  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: CA
Posts: 1,193
Default

Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
They have not ordered any LR's yet. They said they have until 2017 to decide if they want to convert current orders
I think it's pretty safe to say that they will. Why wouldn't you?

It'll be the most capable aircraft in the 320 series. Management fell in love with the 321, this plane will give them even more options. The tradeoff of a higher price tag is minimal compared to investing in 330's or 787s....Plus as they've stated it could operate domestically and feed into the system if Europe didn't work. Win Win.

I don't see Europe as a carrot. It is a pretty natural progression for this company really. The Western Europe could be done...right city pairs....little by little it could work.
Softpayman is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 12:14 PM
  #2233  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2012
Posts: 988
Default

Originally Posted by Softpayman View Post
I think it's pretty safe to say that they will. Why wouldn't you?

It'll be the most capable aircraft in the 320 series. Management fell in love with the 321, this plane will give them even more options. The tradeoff of a higher price tag is minimal compared to investing in 330's or 787s....Plus as they've stated it could operate domestically and feed into the system if Europe didn't work. Win Win.

I don't see Europe as a carrot. It is a pretty natural progression for this company really. The Western Europe could be done...right city pairs....little by little it could work.
Because maybe the preliminary info on the LRs aren't living up to promised performance......do we want to stop off in KEF westbound every trip during the winter? Besides, the big $ is the ability to transport cargo when going overseas, which the LR won't be able to do.

I think buying the LR would be a mistake. If we're going to go to Europe, do it right. Go big or go home.
BunkerF16 is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 01:10 PM
  #2234  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,998
Default

Originally Posted by BunkerF16 View Post
Because maybe the preliminary info on the LRs aren't living up to promised performance......do we want to stop off in KEF westbound every trip during the winter? Besides, the big $ is the ability to transport cargo when going overseas, which the LR won't be able to do.

I think buying the LR would be a mistake. If we're going to go to Europe, do it right. Go big or go home.
Latest rumor I heard is the A350 is being seriously considered. I agree the A321LR flying overseas would be a mistake. We shall see.
nuball5 is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 04:59 PM
  #2235  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Chicken Taco's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2016
Posts: 126
Default

Originally Posted by BunkerF16 View Post
Besides, the big $ is the ability to transport cargo when going overseas, which the LR won't be able to do.
No worries, the company does not offer a counter freight or cargo service anyway.
Chicken Taco is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 05:21 PM
  #2236  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2012
Posts: 988
Default

Originally Posted by Chicken Taco View Post
No worries, the company does not offer a counter freight or cargo service anyway.
We did. And we can again.
BunkerF16 is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 07:29 PM
  #2237  
Stringfellow
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally Posted by nuball5 View Post
Latest rumor I heard is the A350 is being seriously considered. I agree the A321LR flying overseas would be a mistake. We shall see.
If Boeing's $17B deal with Iran holds up, I could see Airbus wanting to give us a good deal on the A350...
 
Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 PM
  #2238  
facing forward
 
727_Driver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: forward facing stick actuator
Posts: 288
Default

The 321 LR performance isn't as planned from what I hear. It could have issues especially west bound. IMO the 330 or 350 makes better sense and also allows much further destination. Not to mention cargo. What I heard back in the day from a NWA guy. The pax are just gravy. The trip and some profit is all from cargo in the belly on long haul.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
727_Driver is offline  
Old 12-24-2016, 06:06 AM
  #2239  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: CA
Posts: 1,193
Default

From a pilot perspective of course we'd like a 14hr capable plane to fly the 6-8hr flights from the East coast to Western Europe.

I'm not sure how cargo fits into the equation...Especially for narrow body aircraft not capable of fitting containers. Continental (later United) and USAir clearly used narrow bodies to a great extent out of EWR/PHL throughout Ireland/UK/France.

The annoyance of the occasional fuel stop is weighted into any decision. Do you want a plane that needs an occasional fuel stop or one that becomes a huge financial anchor if a region becomes a huge money loser. Well, we have ten A350s ($250million each) and since Europe market is shrinking and Brazil is in a depression we'll be deploying them on JFK-MCO.
Softpayman is offline  
Old 12-24-2016, 07:52 AM
  #2240  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2012
Posts: 988
Default

Originally Posted by 727_Driver View Post
The 321 LR performance isn't as planned from what I hear. It could have issues especially west bound. IMO the 330 or 350 makes better sense and also allows much further destination. Not to mention cargo. What I heard back in the day from a NWA guy. The pax are just gravy. The trip and some profit is all from cargo in the belly on long haul.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't read too many of the most recent entries on this thread before you decided to post, did ya?

Nice to see confirmation from other places too though.....
BunkerF16 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Zoomie
Major
36
01-28-2015 12:44 PM
iahflyr
Major
27
09-30-2014 10:04 AM
Mason32
Regional
270
07-27-2010 07:01 PM
Scott34567
Regional
39
05-29-2008 08:08 PM
Sir James
Major
0
07-29-2005 08:02 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices