Notices

DAL Class drops

Old 09-26-2019, 06:25 AM
  #3361  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2011
Posts: 628
Default

Originally Posted by WakeWash View Post
Iíll make a bet that each new hire that chooses NYC320 over ATL88, or anything else for that matter, is gonna seriously regret it. With everyone holding out for the bus in every base, they will he stuck in NYC for a looonnnggg time. Maybe some can get LAX but after hearing how awful that category is I donít know.
What have you been hearing about LAX 320? Genuinely curious? Lots of short legs and red eyes?
Aviator147 is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 06:31 AM
  #3362  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Big E 757's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: A320 Left seat
Posts: 2,268
Default

Originally Posted by Aviator147 View Post
What have you been hearing about LAX 320? Genuinely curious? Lots of short legs and red eyes?
I havenít looked, but from an LAX A320 FO I flew with last month, or late July, said they didnít have a lot of trips yet, and the trips they did have, often began with a deadhead. Iíd bet if you looked at the LAX 737 bid packet, and removed all the nice looking trips with trans cons and one leg a day type flying, itíll look similar. I donít think the base is fully ďstood upĒ so itís hard to tell.
Big E 757 is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 AM
  #3363  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2013
Posts: 270
Default

Originally Posted by Big E 757 View Post
I havenít looked, but from an LAX A320 FO I flew with last month, or late July, said they didnít have a lot of trips yet, and the trips they did have, often began with a deadhead. Iíd bet if you looked at the LAX 737 bid packet, and removed all the nice looking trips with trans cons and one leg a day type flying, itíll look similar. I donít think the base is fully ďstood upĒ so itís hard to tell.
Take a look at the bid package for LAX320B. Vast majority of trips start with a red eye. And there are basically zero commutable trips. Iím thinking you meant red eye, not deadhead for the first leg. Seriously worse than NYC320B in my opinion since they are starting and ending at all the different bases near LA. Bring on the deadheads if would make things more commutable for people. But the last couple months has been absolutely terrible bid packages.
HTBH is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 07:17 AM
  #3364  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Lone Palm's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
Posts: 587
Default

Originally Posted by WakeWash View Post
Iíll make a bet that each new hire that chooses NYC320 over ATL88, or anything else for that matter, is gonna seriously regret it. With everyone holding out for the bus in every base, they will he stuck in NYC for a looonnnggg time. Maybe some can get LAX but after hearing how awful that category is I donít know.
A minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 2 years (pending where the AE falls) but you are right that there will be very little movement on the 320. Iím betting we will see a lot of junior FOs bidding off the 320 when their seat locks are up later this year and early next.
Lone Palm is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 07:33 AM
  #3365  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2017
Posts: 100
Default

LAX is one of the biggest origin/destination markets in the country. This means a lot of airplanes starting/finishing their day there. The cheapest crews to do these flights are LAX based because there are no hotel costs.

This means that a high percentage of LAX trips(on any domestic category) will have early shows and/or late releases.

LAX is also a prime place for redeyes. Redeyes are ideal trio starters in the optimizerís view because, again, no hotels. Therefore, a lot of LAX trips will start with redeyes.

The takeaway here is that LAX is not an ideal commuter base because of the nature of the flying and RCC attempts to fundamentally alter LAX rotations are likely to be short lived because they are swimming against a powerful current.

I donít see that changing in the near future so bid accordingly.
FogSkier is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 07:56 AM
  #3366  
Line Holder
 
Mudhendrvr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Posts: 75
Default

Question on Category freeze that I couldn't find the answer to in the PWA. If someone's category freeze ends 15 December, and an AE closes in November with the earliest conversion 1 December, is that person eligible to convert since its the same month? IOW, does the system look at the specific date or only the month?
Mudhendrvr is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 08:01 AM
  #3367  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: 73na
Posts: 280
Default

Originally Posted by Mudhendrvr View Post
Question on Category freeze that I couldn't find the answer to in the PWA. If someone's category freeze ends 15 December, and an AE closes in November with the earliest conversion 1 December, is that person eligible to convert since its the same month? IOW, does the system look at the specific date or only the month?
No-see 22.a.7.c.
Omar 111 is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 08:20 AM
  #3368  
Line Holder
 
Mudhendrvr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Posts: 75
Default

Originally Posted by Omar 111 View Post
No-see 22.a.7.c.
Thank you. Skipped over the definitions...
Mudhendrvr is offline  
Old 09-26-2019, 08:25 AM
  #3369  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2018
Posts: 2,291
Default

Originally Posted by FogSkier View Post
LAX is one of the biggest origin/destination markets in the country. This means a lot of airplanes starting/finishing their day there. The cheapest crews to do these flights are LAX based because there are no hotel costs.

This means that a high percentage of LAX trips(on any domestic category) will have early shows and/or late releases.

LAX is also a prime place for redeyes. Redeyes are ideal trio starters in the optimizerís view because, again, no hotels. Therefore, a lot of LAX trips will start with redeyes.

The takeaway here is that LAX is not an ideal commuter base because of the nature of the flying and RCC attempts to fundamentally alter LAX rotations are likely to be short lived because they are swimming against a powerful current.

I donít see that changing in the near future so bid accordingly.
all very valid points. I would like to add one more .....time zones. There are virtually no red eyes going east to west......who wants to take off at 11pm for a 5:30hr flight and arrive in LA at 0130hrs? Now, how about take off from LA at 11pm for a 5:00 flt(winds) and arrive in NYC at 0700hrs? I venture to say.....much greater demand.

So the question is.....would we(you) rather have more jobs which include red eyes or less jobs sans red eyes?
Buck Rogers is online now  
Old 09-26-2019, 08:58 AM
  #3370  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Denny Crane's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Kickin’ Back
Posts: 6,971
Default

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
all very valid points. I would like to add one more .....time zones. There are virtually no red eyes going east to west......who wants to take off at 11pm for a 5:30hr flight and arrive in LA at 0130hrs? Now, how about take off from LA at 11pm for a 5:00 flt(winds) and arrive in NYC at 0700hrs? I venture to say.....much greater demand.

So the question is.....would we(you) rather have more jobs which include red eyes or less jobs sans red eyes?
I disagree. Thatís not the question. Itís not an either/or thing. You donít have to reduce the amount of red eyes to have more trips start during the day. Share the ďwealthĒ and have some red eyes in the middle of/end of other 320 bases. The question is..........why canít more trips start during the day?

Denny
Denny Crane is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Aussiedoodle
United
9
09-10-2021 01:54 PM
MCFlyer
American
6024
02-11-2020 09:21 AM
Pilotfo64
Delta
21
07-08-2015 03:46 PM
Bobofighter
Major
42
11-10-2007 09:46 PM
WaterSkr
Cargo
7
09-24-2007 05:27 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread