Search
Notices

DAL Class drops

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 05:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by WakeWash View Post
I’ll make a bet that each new hire that chooses NYC320 over ATL88, or anything else for that matter, is gonna seriously regret it. With everyone holding out for the bus in every base, they will he stuck in NYC for a looonnnggg time. Maybe some can get LAX but after hearing how awful that category is I don’t know.
What have you been hearing about LAX 320? Genuinely curious? Lots of short legs and red eyes?
Old 09-26-2019, 05:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: A320 Left seat

Originally Posted by Aviator147 View Post
What have you been hearing about LAX 320? Genuinely curious? Lots of short legs and red eyes?
I haven’t looked, but from an LAX A320 FO I flew with last month, or late July, said they didn’t have a lot of trips yet, and the trips they did have, often began with a deadhead. I’d bet if you looked at the LAX 737 bid packet, and removed all the nice looking trips with trans cons and one leg a day type flying, it’ll look similar. I don’t think the base is fully “stood up” so it’s hard to tell.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013

Originally Posted by Big E 757 View Post
I haven’t looked, but from an LAX A320 FO I flew with last month, or late July, said they didn’t have a lot of trips yet, and the trips they did have, often began with a deadhead. I’d bet if you looked at the LAX 737 bid packet, and removed all the nice looking trips with trans cons and one leg a day type flying, it’ll look similar. I don’t think the base is fully “stood up” so it’s hard to tell.
Take a look at the bid package for LAX320B. Vast majority of trips start with a red eye. And there are basically zero commutable trips. I’m thinking you meant red eye, not deadhead for the first leg. Seriously worse than NYC320B in my opinion since they are starting and ending at all the different bases near LA. Bring on the deadheads if would make things more commutable for people. But the last couple months has been absolutely terrible bid packages.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Originally Posted by WakeWash View Post
I’ll make a bet that each new hire that chooses NYC320 over ATL88, or anything else for that matter, is gonna seriously regret it. With everyone holding out for the bus in every base, they will he stuck in NYC for a looonnnggg time. Maybe some can get LAX but after hearing how awful that category is I don’t know.
A minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 2 years (pending where the AE falls) but you are right that there will be very little movement on the 320. I’m betting we will see a lot of junior FOs bidding off the 320 when their seat locks are up later this year and early next.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2017

LAX is one of the biggest origin/destination markets in the country. This means a lot of airplanes starting/finishing their day there. The cheapest crews to do these flights are LAX based because there are no hotel costs.

This means that a high percentage of LAX trips(on any domestic category) will have early shows and/or late releases.

LAX is also a prime place for redeyes. Redeyes are ideal trio starters in the optimizer’s view because, again, no hotels. Therefore, a lot of LAX trips will start with redeyes.

The takeaway here is that LAX is not an ideal commuter base because of the nature of the flying and RCC attempts to fundamentally alter LAX rotations are likely to be short lived because they are swimming against a powerful current.

I don’t see that changing in the near future so bid accordingly.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:56 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Question on Category freeze that I couldn't find the answer to in the PWA. If someone's category freeze ends 15 December, and an AE closes in November with the earliest conversion 1 December, is that person eligible to convert since its the same month? IOW, does the system look at the specific date or only the month?
Old 09-26-2019, 07:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: 73na

Originally Posted by Mudhendrvr View Post
Question on Category freeze that I couldn't find the answer to in the PWA. If someone's category freeze ends 15 December, and an AE closes in November with the earliest conversion 1 December, is that person eligible to convert since its the same month? IOW, does the system look at the specific date or only the month?
No-see 22.a.7.c.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:20 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Omar 111 View Post
No-see 22.a.7.c.
Thank you. Skipped over the definitions...
Old 09-26-2019, 07:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by FogSkier View Post
LAX is one of the biggest origin/destination markets in the country. This means a lot of airplanes starting/finishing their day there. The cheapest crews to do these flights are LAX based because there are no hotel costs.

This means that a high percentage of LAX trips(on any domestic category) will have early shows and/or late releases.

LAX is also a prime place for redeyes. Redeyes are ideal trio starters in the optimizer’s view because, again, no hotels. Therefore, a lot of LAX trips will start with redeyes.

The takeaway here is that LAX is not an ideal commuter base because of the nature of the flying and RCC attempts to fundamentally alter LAX rotations are likely to be short lived because they are swimming against a powerful current.

I don’t see that changing in the near future so bid accordingly.
all very valid points. I would like to add one more .....time zones. There are virtually no red eyes going east to west......who wants to take off at 11pm for a 5:30hr flight and arrive in LA at 0130hrs? Now, how about take off from LA at 11pm for a 5:00 flt(winds) and arrive in NYC at 0700hrs? I venture to say.....much greater demand.

So the question is.....would we(you) rather have more jobs which include red eyes or less jobs sans red eyes?
Old 09-26-2019, 07:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Kickin’ Back

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
all very valid points. I would like to add one more .....time zones. There are virtually no red eyes going east to west......who wants to take off at 11pm for a 5:30hr flight and arrive in LA at 0130hrs? Now, how about take off from LA at 11pm for a 5:00 flt(winds) and arrive in NYC at 0700hrs? I venture to say.....much greater demand.

So the question is.....would we(you) rather have more jobs which include red eyes or less jobs sans red eyes?
I disagree. That’s not the question. It’s not an either/or thing. You don’t have to reduce the amount of red eyes to have more trips start during the day. Share the “wealth” and have some red eyes in the middle of/end of other 320 bases. The question is..........why can’t more trips start during the day?

Denny